PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Mayhem

blue_mako
17-09-2008, 04:38 PM
With a slight break in the weather before the change hit the plan was to knock off some quality nobbies for the end of the bottom bashing season as we prepare for the coming pelagic run.

Made it to the grounds in good time and proceeded to drop plastics and baits into hungry snapper schools, they were hitting on the drop making for top fishing and we wasted no time while the bite lasted.

Have to give the tuffline a plug its been reliable.

Troy

wags on the water
17-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Good effort Troy. Thanks for your report.

rubba
17-09-2008, 05:10 PM
were did you guys head out from regards dale

Pistol_P
17-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Hey Troy...

You using that tuffline xp braid..?
Is it good ???....I just ordered some 100lb for Fiji to wrestle the GT's on the dogfight.

Rob suggested you boys give me the cato mark also...;) ;D

Pete

skipalong
17-09-2008, 06:56 PM
great fish mate

blue_mako
17-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah Pete Tuff Line XP. I use it on all my bait casters and heavy spinning rods. Used 10, 15, 20 and 50lb and never had failures. Except when I let my mate use it last time, dirty big tangle.

Got everything from Snapper and Pearlies to Tuna, Kingies and Sambos on the heavy and use the lighter gear for Bass, Jacks, Jew, Threadies and general live baiting in the Estuaries.

It's all I buy now unless I go 8lb or under in which case I get Fireline. Other then Platil Millennium it's the cheapest Spectra on offer at B.C.F. so it's what I go for usually.

Cato marks are available to all via PM :) .

Troy

Pistol_P
17-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Cheers Troy...

Yeah I have heard good things about the tuff line...and the Varivas.
But you need a bank loan to buy a spool of varivas...:o
The tuffline seems ok in price.

Pete

TimiBoy
17-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Nice work! Where and when would be handy...

Cheers,

Tim

basskid
17-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Nice fish Troy!

blue_mako
17-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah Pete. Can't stand PE. Given it plenty of chances and it's all gone to shit. Used 6 different spools, 5 diffeent brands between 6 and 30lb. Lost a few 100 worth of lures using that crap.

If you get some Tuff Line from the net overseas it's pretty cheap from memory. You can get it in white as well which would probably be the best colour. It's almost identical in performance to Power Pro which is an American braid.

1/2-1oz heads did the job. I was throwing some big 6inch Atomic Paddle Tails in a Gold Fleck colour. Needed the heavier heads with the Paddle Tails, the bigger profile and working tail take that little bit longer to reach bottom.

Troy

Horse
18-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Some nice fish there Troy. What outfit were you using for them. My poor old Snapper Raider is not really up to the task of big jigs and deep water:-/

Cheers

Neil

ddobson
18-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Good feed there boyz.

fish-n-dive
18-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Very nice catch and a great looking feed..........congratulations!!

tassie
18-09-2008, 09:31 PM
gotta love the snapper, great work...............:)

Gagga08
19-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Don't you just love it when the fish are hitting hard like that. Especially when there Snapper.

blue_mako
19-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Horse: One of the better rods for jigging is the T-Curve Spin or Overhead 200. If you look around or get one second hand you could probably do as well as $200. Normal Price I think is about the $260ish mark.

It's a reasonably soft rod but has plenty of guts. For its price bracket you can't beat them. Light, Sensitive, High Modulus Graphite and Fugi Silcone/Titanium Guides which you can't scratch with a double cut file.

If I had my time again I probably would have gone with the 400 (37kg) just for that extra bit of stiffness for jigging. But I usually use it for fishing the bottom with baits and placcies. The bend definitely helps with bottom fishing, especially with circle hooks and bait.

I've used my Snapper Raider in about 60-70m a few times running 20lb Tuff Line with plastics and got some okay fish. Got flogged big time on one occasion but you get that. I mainly use it for casting at Tuna.

Troy

-spiro-
20-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Good fish there Troy they look like the Barwons snaps I LET GO......LO
Cato you say?
I'd like to see where you store the extra petrol in maulers tinny to get there?

reel scream
20-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for those 2 marks. When we get back from the mars trip they should be worth a look.