PDA

View Full Version : Antifouling a Trailer Boat ???

fish-n-dive
16-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Is there any value in anti-fouling the hull of a trailer boat that is used weekly??

boatboy50
16-09-2008, 07:24 PM
No way on gods earth.

You don't need to, and it will de value the boat by many thousands.

Regards

Darren

Chimo
16-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi F n D

Yes if its left in the water, but you will lose a knot or so in speed.

Better off IMHO, to store it on a trailer under cover or on an airberth again under cover to minimise UV damage.

Cheers
Chimo

PS BB50 et al. Left mine in water for 5 days and there was growth after only that short time already that was hard to get off so if the Q relates to leaving it in the water its going to be affected one way or the other.

fish-n-dive
16-09-2008, 07:27 PM
No way on gods earth.

You don't need to, and it will de value the boat by many thousands.

Regards

Darren

Please explain......................

boatboy50
16-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Fish,

I read your post as meaning you would use the boat once a week, and leave it on the trailer for the other 6 days.

In this instance, it would be of no value to antifoul the boat.

You would lose speed, value of the boat, and limit the buyers when reselling, all for no gain.

If you are leaving it in the water seven days a week, and using it one of those days, you definately need to antifoul it.

A bit clearer?

Regards

Darren

goldfish
17-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Fish,

I read your post as meaning you would use the boat once a week, and leave it on the trailer for the other 6 days.
In this instance, it would be of no value to antifoul the boat.
You would lose speed, value of the boat, and limit the buyers when reselling, all for no gain.
If you are leaving it in the water seven days a week, and using it one of those days, you definately need to antifoul it.
A bit clearer?
Regards
Darren

spot on darren.
you would lose speed, value, & burn more fuel. the only time you need to antifoul a boat is when it is staying in the water for extended periods.
for example i just bought my boat & paid the extra because it had never been antifouled.

BrenMac
20-09-2008, 01:03 AM
Fish-n-dive,

DON'T DO IT!!!!!:o

My last boat (5.5 plate ali) was permantently in the water so I had it anti-fouled and it really effected the performance and economy badly! The initial fresh coat of paint took about 3 knots WOT off and unless I pulled it out of the water every month and pressure cleaned the hull, the performance and economy naturally just got worse and worse! (24 knots WOT is no fun!):(

Also, as the guys have said, most people don't want to know about buying a boat of this size that has been antifouled for obvious reasons, so you certainly would affect your re-sale.

For my new boat I made sure I had enough in the budget for a boat lift so the antifoul blues is a thing of the past!:)

Lastly, as the guys have also indicated, unless the boat is staying in the water for long constant periods, there is absolutely no need.

Cheers
Brendan