PDA

View Full Version : Who has a 175 suzzuki

-spiro-
16-09-2008, 07:00 PM
I am thinking of buying a 175hp suzzi for my platey.
What im chasing is anyone who has one to give me there running conditions

I am after the k's per litre
What RPM you sit on
And what sort of boat you have.
Or anything else of interest.
Thanks Spiro8-)

Clyde
16-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Spiro,
Did have a big reply the first time but the internet ate it!!!

We have a 175 zuk on a 6m Fisher. We have not played with props yet and could posibly go bigger but the rev's suit us well in rough weather and crossing the bar.

Current WOT is 37knots at 6100rpm. With the old man driving around the 4000rpm mark we use around 14-16l/hr, with me it drops back a bit to 16-18l/hr. Haven't worked out the l/km sorry. 4500rpm we are doing 25knots, just doing it easy.

The motor just loves to rev above the 4000rpm mark and hits the 6100 easy. No issues yet, we really love it.

Hope this was of assistance.

Saludos,
Clyde

-spiro-
16-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks Clyde
What size prop have you got?

tinman
16-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I have a 175 suzzi on a 6.2 Noble Super-Vee. Spinning a 19" prop, WOT is 6300 RPM and 70K in good conditions lightly loaded. See the attached data that i have recorded. When loaded and cruising in 10/15 knots plus sea conditions fuel consumption can increase by 25%. It has plenty of torque for low speed planing in rough conditions. I would like to try a 21" prop to compare performance.

Cheers Tinman

-spiro-
16-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Tnman another bloke i talked to said they have a 23' and are trying a 21' next trip
So that will be something i would have to look at too

-spiro-
17-09-2008, 05:11 PM
anyone bought one lately? I will be starting to ring for prices.

scrubba01
17-09-2008, 06:48 PM
For the 6.5 m boat like yours I would be inclined to go to the 200hp Suzi. It is the same weight and would run about the same figures at cruising speed if not a bit better spinning a bigger prop at lower revs for the same speed.The price is also not much different as the 175 and 200 are practically the same motor.

I have the 225 on a 6.8m fisher and it comes in at about 1.3 - 1.4 klm per litre if you drive it right. A mate has the 225 on 6.5 m Assassin but can swing a bigger prop (21.5 inch) being lighter and shallower deadrise and gets substantially better fuel figures and much better top speed 84klm/hr I only get 70. :'(

disorderly
17-09-2008, 07:02 PM
I have a 175 suzzi on a 6.2 Noble Super-Vee. Spinning a 19" prop, WOT is 6300 RPM and 70K in good conditions lightly loaded. See the attached data that i have recorded. When loaded and cruising in 10/15 knots plus sea conditions fuel consumption can increase by 25%. It has plenty of torque for low speed planing in rough conditions. I would like to try a 21" prop to compare performance.

Cheers Tinman

Love the spread sheet...however I do wonder how a 6.2 m cabin boat with a 175hp motor can acheive 2.0-2.2 km/l....
I only have a 90 2 stroke DI and a pretty flat bottomed hull and my figures in average condtions can often be around that and if the weather is great up to a max of 2.5km/l....

My figures,however are not taken off gauges but actually how many litres I need to refill for a X amount of distance travelled...I find it quite misleading to judge the economy of a motor simply by what a computor readout states but that's life I guess....

Some real world trip figures with the style of fishing and sea and wind conditions would be much more helpful ,though.

Having said that,though....is somebody that can afford to fork out the kind of dollars to buy and maintain such a rig necessarily going to be too concerned about a few decimal points when it comes to fuel figures or servicing costs...

Realistically....probably not..:)

scrubba01
17-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Love the spread sheet...however I do wonder how a 6.2 m cabin boat with a 175hp motor can acheive 2.0-2.2 km/l....
I only have a 90 2 stroke DI and a pretty flat bottomed hull and my figures in average condtions can often be around that and if the weather is great up to a max of 2.5km/l....

My figures,however are not taken off gauges but actually how many litres I need to refill for a X amount of distance travelled...I find it quite misleading to judge the economy of a motor simply by what a computor readout states but that's life I guess....

Some real world trip figures with the style of fishing and sea and wind conditions would be much more helpful ,though.

Having said that,though....is somebody that can afford to fork out the kind of dollars to buy and maintain such a rig necessarily going to be too concerned about a few decimal points when it comes to fuel figures or servicing costs...

When you travel a lot of distace (which is why we buy the big rigs) and use a lot of litres those decimal points start to add up.

disorderly
17-09-2008, 07:25 PM
When you travel a lot of distace (which is why we buy the big rigs) and use a lot of litres those decimal points start to add up.

Scubba,

When you have a rig like the one in your avatar......than realistically a few extra litres of fuel is neither here nor there....at least in comparison to the actual costs of buying and owning the boat....

Nice looking rig BTW...what is it???

Scott

Clyde
17-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Spiro,
Can't recall the size and pitch sorry. Not sure what the standard one is but we did not change it from the one Col had on it when we bought it. Boat is down the coast so can't go out the back and have a look.

Saludos,
Clyde

Wahoo
17-09-2008, 07:36 PM

I have the 225 on a 6.8m fisher

Scubba,

Nice looking rig BTW...what is it???

Scott

LOL Scott;D;D;D;D8-)8-):P:-X:-X

scrubba01
17-09-2008, 08:12 PM
When we go out it is generally to the shelf last time we used 300l of fuel at 1.2 per klm that is 360 klm at 1.4l per klm we can get 420 klm. It really does add up when you start doing a few klm. This is why we save up to go on big trips to hopefully get some big fish. Not all guys with big boats are rich, some of us are just mad keen fishermen.

Kiktz
17-09-2008, 08:22 PM
For the 6.5 m boat like yours I would be inclined to go to the 200hp Suzi. It is the same weight and would run about the same figures at cruising speed if not a bit better spinning a bigger prop at lower revs for the same speed.The price is also not much different as the 175 and 200 are practically the same motor.

Scrubba, are you talking about boats weight or engine weights.........
I am a lil confused there?

Cheers Aj

peterbo3
17-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi Chris,
I have a Fisher 6400 with a full cab & hardtop. 23 deg deadrise & Q-Tabs. With 300L of fuel this a pretty heavy boat. I have a 175 spinning a 15 1/4 X 19 prop. I get up to 6200 easily so I possibly could go up in pitch but I won't worry as the boat can handle more than my back can.;D;D;D
I normally run around 4200-4500 & get up to 21-24 knots by GPS depending on tide & wind. Fuel use averaged is 1.6-1.7 Km per liter. I do not have a flow meter.
WOT gets me to 38-39 knots with 3 POB & a load of fuel.

tinman
17-09-2008, 09:25 PM

Disorderly, you obviously have little understanding of the accuracy of todays electronic measuring devices. I travel several hundred kilometers each fishing trip and the gauges totalise fuel usage to within 2% of actual consuption....

Realistically... as a matter of fact its actual:o

disorderly
17-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Disorderly, you obviously have little understanding of the accuracy of todays electronic measuring devices. I travel several hundred kilometers each fishing trip and the gauges totalise fuel usage to within 2% of actual consuption....

Realistically... as a matter of fact its actual:o

Never said the gauges weren't accurate ,just that the only real figure that counts for me is distance traveled and how much fuel was consumed...:)

Greg P
18-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Never said the gauges weren't accurate ,just that the only real figure that counts for me is distance traveled and how much fuel was consumed...:)

Scott - on the devices that gather information from the engines ECM such as the EP20 you can choose to display all sorts of information when they are interfaced with a GPS on screen such as

Fuel Burn per hr
Nm per litre (or Km/lt)
Fuel Used
Fuel Remaining
Distance traveled/remaining on tank etc

As long as you reset the fuel when you fill they are extremely accurate in just the way you mentioned above. One other thing that is amazing to see and I have mentioned it before is just where the sweet fuel consumption (Nm/l) is according to the interface. The boat and the engine sound/feel sweet running around 4500 rpm and doing 25-26knots (which is the way I used to drive it ie ear and feel) but by backing it down to 3900 doing 20-21 knots the fuel saving is huge on long trips.

One other benefit is that on larger underfloor tanks (200 lt plus) you can utilise more of the tank capacity and do multiple trips without refilling and still retain a degree of safety. Before I had the interface I refilled the tank out of habit/safety on each trip. With the condition of fuel and time between trips I now prefer to try and use as much of the 200 litres as I safely can before topping up.

An average offshore snapper trip for me would be approx 70nm round trip. I would be lucky to squeeze 70l back into the tank.

Chris - You got my figures for the 150. I personally doubt you will need a 200 on the back of the Profish. The 150/175 would be the ideal outboard imo. Go see Col - he will look after you.

Cheers

Greg

-spiro-
19-09-2008, 04:27 PM
the other thing that i'd have to decide was what prop. By the sounds something like a 21' would be the go. Greg i will ring Col. eay serviceing there up the road..