PDA

View Full Version : Reefing with Rat-Catcher

jtpython
15-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Saturday Afternoon seen Rat catcher myself one of my mates and Scotts (Rat catchers) son Rynan heading to some shoals ENE of Rosslyn Bay harbour .
Travelling the 106 km thru some ordinary water to our posisiton in Scotts boat was a dream.
Fishing.......... we scored some nice catches of Red thoats and good sized Hussars with a couple of undersized reds to boot. With the breeze creeping up we settles into a good nights sleep cept for the guys in the cabin who had the hatch slightly open to recieve a cold wake up call when a green wave come up over the front and inside about 3 am
During the night the wind got up making it very uncomfortable to go any further to any other good spots so we headed into some ground closer in to the mainland with a few stop overs for some undersized reds we finaly manged a nice red then no more follow ups so we headed for home
Thanks again to Scott for taking us on a great trip and amazing ride in his Signature 702 was a very enjoyable overnighter
There's not much more tasty then freash Red throat;D
JT

rat_catcher
15-09-2008, 09:33 PM
JT thanks to you and Gav for coming and adding to the enjoyable weekend! My son Ryan keeps talking about those 'Horse Reds'. Pity the weather didn't play and let us get out just that bit further to those marks I have in deep water......could have been plenty more horse reds boated......anyway I chatted to old mate with the 2601 Striper around the corner last night and he is keen to come with us next time too. Find a good weather window and we will hit those marks I promise.

reel scream
15-09-2008, 09:46 PM
The box looks very tasty.

Must have been a pisser when the water came in????

Cheers Scott

rat_catcher
15-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Must have been a pisser when the water came in????
Yeah it was very funny....JT and I were in the cockpit and my son and Gav were in the cabin fast asleep...next thing I hear a loud commotion and both of them were wide awake and soaked! ;D It was the fastest I have ever seen my teenage son wake up.

They shut the hatch real quick after that.

Local_Guy
15-09-2008, 10:01 PM
lol. been waiting for this post since jt sent me the pics to my phone..... so funny about that early morning wake up call. what a crack up.

nice catches there too guys, looks like you enjoyed yourself.

jtpython
15-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Always good for a laugh mate .......... Nothing like horse reds LOL
The Old man went out for a troll today and scored 4 macs , Big fellas he was saying . But looking at the weather looks to be a little sloppy coming up.
That striper would be a Awesome rig . But yours is great and handled that weather incredible mate. Looking foward to some more horse reds to
JT

disorderly
15-09-2008, 10:46 PM
A good looking feed there in the esky ,Jt...
You're right about the Red Throats too I reckon...they are as good eating as any other fish out there...
Musta been nice to sit back and relax and let someone else be the skipper,as well...

That also confirms why I dont like sleeping up the front of boats...stretching out on the back deck is much more comfy and often drier...;);D;D.

Scott

wags on the water
16-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks for sending the pics to my phone JT...really made my day::) ::)

Well done

Wags

skipalong
16-09-2008, 07:51 PM
excellent mixed bag mate

ifishcq1
16-09-2008, 07:52 PM
JT
well done where are my pics?

Hi Rat catcher

is the striper black and white?
Could be the bloke that followed us out at the comp
one of the blokes in his boat hurt his back when they came off a wave and they didn't end up hitting that red ground
I got a horse red next to them at the wreck on a live scad
He deserves a good fish

SL

rat_catcher
16-09-2008, 08:41 PM
It has a dark blue hull and 2 x 200hp Optimax's.

rat_catcher
16-09-2008, 08:43 PM
You're right about the Red Throats too I reckon...they are as good eating as any other fish out there...
Another vote for the Red Throats here too.....my favourite reefy! Although I just had a feed of Red Jew tonight and it was as always pretty damn good too.

jtpython
16-09-2008, 08:57 PM
HAHAHA
JT
well done where are my pics?

Hi Rat catcher

Could be the bloke that followed us out at the comp
one of the blokes in his boat hurt his back when they came off a wave and they didn't end up hitting that red ground
I got a horse red next to them at the wreck on a live scad
He deserves a good fish

SL
IFISHCQ
Last time they put some pics in i sent ya they put Splity down as JT's Dad
LOL
Mate will send them thru to ya
They'll be sick of my pic's
JT

jtpython
16-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Weather is looking good for this weekend too Scott
JT
Brother gets here friday night need some mackeral to add to the taste buds of the Red throats and Red.................. Or not LOL

rat_catcher
16-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Weather is looking good for this weekend too Scott
JT
Brother gets here friday night need some mackeral to add to the taste buds of the Red throats and Red.................. Or not LOL
I got some fibreglassing work to do first! ;)

jtpython
16-09-2008, 09:29 PM
I got some resin mate give me a yell when ya want to hit her
JT

rat_catcher
17-09-2008, 10:15 PM
I got some resin mate give me a yell when ya want to hit her
JT
I haven't decided what to do yet. I had a mate give me the name of a place to take it and get it done professionally, but I rang them today and they told me they don't do boats anymore. Now I have to find someplace else. Anybody know of any fibreglassers in CQ?

Local_Guy
18-09-2008, 10:13 AM
try Lowrie Hohensee. 49396066. he's the local surfboard maker, but boat builder by trade... err about 50yrs ago :P..... he knows what he is doing and has all equiptment.

ifishcq1
19-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi JT
where are you going to be fishing on the weekend

I have a bloke flying up from the goldy on Sat to look at the boat

there is a lot of doggies in the bay and a few spotties starting to appear

so I might take him for a fish instead of just a test run

I might go wide Sunday

cheers

SL

I will give you a call

jtpython
19-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Will be heading out saturday mate to Some ground NNE hopefully
Taking my brother out he gets here tonight want to get him onto some good reefies.
He goes for a tour of duty to Afghanstan for 8 months
Dad got 3 trout and a 58 cm red and some dogs on wednesday at lisaJT

Custaro
21-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Nice reds JT. Your fishing the northern grounds?? Has the river water got you worried?

I had my tinnie up at Findlays on Saturday morning. We busted off one good mack and lost another smaller mack to a porpoise. Fairly quiet there. We did see one 25lb spanish caught. Loaded up on bonito at harbour on the way back.

Took my wife out for a pleasure trip this morning plus a quick troll. Took four baits. Had two tail bites, one solid fish on for a minute before he threw the hooks and a bugger bit me off at the swivel after I hooked up. Got a big mac tuna on a slug. No fresh fish for me this weekend:(, but at least the bait situation is good.