PDA

View Full Version : Squidgy Jig Heads

Barraboy7
15-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi All
I havent been up to Awoonga for a while, heading up next week for a few days. Could anyone give me a heads up on the current jig heads and patterns being used for Squidgies now? I have quite a few of the earlier types, should I be going for resin heads? Still yet to nail abarra on a Squidgie, tho Ive been whacked and spat quite few times.
Also any updates on current lure trends, I know that anything will catch in the right moment, but wondered if there is anything particularly of note. Ive read up on the Frog Saga!
Thanks in advance
Barraboy7

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
15-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Resin heads are useful, so too are the simple lead head jigs attached, but leave your squidgies at home, there are plenty of better options on the market.
I'll show you a few when you arrive and you will soon hear of another model that has proven itself in recent competitions by some skilled locals with impressive results. Eye popping!!
The Frog saga, well I wish I had a dollar for every bloke that hit Awoonga in the last few months with a bag of frogs. I wish I had another dollar for the frowns that hit the ramp on return. I wish I had another dollar for every bloke that asked me how to rig them. The salesman are doing well, but most are selling the hunters the gun and forgetting to sell them the bullets; like how to rig, how to use, where to use them, and when to use them. Most of the salesmen don't know the latter. Fish are fish and lakes are lakes, they change every day. Of all the great fish catches in Awoonga this past few weeks it's firm to say that the frog wasn't responsible, not even remotely.
Great lure, in the right parameters of course, which isn't everyday, and not in every lake dynamic, just like any other lure.
I reckon you should pack an x-walk, a fizzer and a popper among your normal mix. The b52 has been scoring well of late also. Plenty to expand on.
Johnny

modo
17-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Like the old saying goes "lures catch more fishermen than fish" Good for the tackle industry. I got tackle boxes full of lures that caught me but nothing else. :huh2:

rod harrison
19-09-2008, 05:03 PM
I had a couple of honeymooners out yesterday.
They announced the fact when stepping aboard.
My immediate comment was the the boat was for fishy business, not monkey business. But he'd been to Africa and could shoot a .375 H&H freestyle.

He produced this bag of Squidgie frogs and some Starlo Pro lures that swam like contestants in the amputee Olympics.
At least they got the name right, starling and bushie have
really prostituted themselves with the latest product to bear their names.

He caught three metre class fish on some Storms - and got the union off on the right foot with a statement that he'd be back next week.

If love is blind, marriage is sure an eye-opener.

Barraboy7
20-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Hilarious Rod LOL I can see why you write so much!
Thanks!
Barraboy7

Whitto
20-09-2008, 06:31 PM
With out doubt Mate take your old Barra lures with you they are more often than not your best option.....The new frogs and whatnot are for the most part not rigged or presented correctly.....try and stay with your proven lures....when u see Johnny he will show u how to rig and present some of these new toys.....The old usual lures are often better than the new stuff.......Whitto

Barraboy7
20-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks Whitto
Yes I managed to get a few Hollowbellys and rig them as shown in the post herabouts. And yes we will be using the tried and trusted ones, B52s have never let us down, always good to ramp up on fresh info a bit, havent been up for a while. Two days should be a lot of fun. Been great reading some of the recent trends, and no, wont be taking a bucket full of frogs!
Barraboy7