PDA

View Full Version : Good Buy ???

fish-n-dive
15-09-2008, 06:02 PM
All things being equal and if it's what it says it is, does the forum reckon this is this a good buy?

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2947362

thanks,

michael

nelton87
15-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Michael,
In my opinion, I would think it is very much under powered.
A 21' Boat powered by a 135Hp it should at least have a 175 or bigger.
I would not want to go to sea and need to come home in bad weather with such a underpowered boat.
By the time you put your personal items maybe a esky or two, Fishing gear and one or two friends you have a very heavy boat.
This means you are going to need to drive it at higher revs compared to another boat with a larger engine, Therefore using more fuel = More Dollars:'( :'( :'(
Cheers
Nelton

Wahoo
15-09-2008, 07:33 PM
looks alright to me, WOT 40knts and cruise at 25, take it for a run with min 4 guys in it and see how she goes, i like it very nice

Daz

Dean1
15-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Very clean bit of gear. Worth the look if the 40 kts is legit thats for sure. We dont all need 40kts anyhow even if it is a porky pie. You even get a sarca thrown in by the looks of it ;)

disorderly
15-09-2008, 08:04 PM
The Yalta's seem to be a well constructed,no-nonsense fishing boat for a great price...no frill's of course.

Am a bit sceptical about the 40 knt Wot though...know a guy who bought the same boat with a 150 opti and it went good...40 knots..not sure :-/

I like them though ...nice glass boat for much less than the Seafarer's,CC's and Haines...and with a new tech motor for that price ...well it seems like good value,really....but like someone said ..load it up and take it for a spin,first...

Scott

Should have also mentioned that you should get a brand new price.,.first.. as you may be surprised how cheap they are and it may give a bit more leverage to negotiate.

jeffrey_h
15-09-2008, 08:39 PM
What do people think about the YaltaCraft boats, are they a fast hull that would need less power compared to other hulls? I would think a 135 hp motor might be to small.

21 ft is a big boat, I'm looking for 18 to 19 ft. I see some 18' with only 115 hp, good under normal conditions but maybe not enough in bad seas like Nelton says. You would feel safer with more power, don't have to use it all.

Jeffrey

BrenMac
15-09-2008, 09:56 PM
My first thought was that it might be good for 30-35 Knots, but some of these fibreglass hulls do slip through the water very nicely.

If the cruise and WOT figures are correct, I'd say it would be an excellent rig and the Optis are great- powerful and economical.

Take it for a test run.

Cheers
Brendan

finding_time
15-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Fish/n/dive

I see your looking into new used great option i reckon!;) Yalta's always seem to run slightly lower hp for some reason, i've never really had a close look at hull shape but maybe there not as deep a Vee as some of the better known brands in that size that require larger HP to get the hull performing! I do know that if it is underpowered it would annoy you alot! A mate has a 542 signature with that motor and it flies but it's a smaller boat. Other than that it looks very clean!

Ian

Ps that signature hull is 600kg and the Yalta is only 800kg so it could be alright!;) The yalta has less vee that the signature and the yalta is also longer which helps!

finding_time
15-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Just read this report and it had a 130 honda on the back and it's figures looked alright!

Hope this helps
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boat-review/2130025.aspx

Ian

Tri N Hard
15-09-2008, 11:02 PM
All depends on the weight off the hull for a 21ft boat it doesnt look that heavy has a basic style cuddiecab, i recon it would go alright those 135hp are a v6 with heap of punch, if it was an older 21ft deep v hull i think it might struggle a bit.

gawby
15-09-2008, 11:07 PM
It is 6k cheaper than new price.
If it is in good nic it is prob a good buy.
Here is a link to compare http://www.marinetune.com/specials/specials_detail.asp?ID=97
I have 555 yalta with a 115 4/s yammie and it is powered ok.
I hope this helps.
Graeme

Kendall249
15-09-2008, 11:09 PM
the claimed 40kt top end claimed in the ad might be a bit of a stretch looking at the boat review in FT post which shows:

130hp honda - 40km/h (21.5kt) @ 4000 and 58km/h (31.3kt) @ 5800

wouldn't expect much more from a 135hp

finding_time
15-09-2008, 11:22 PM
the claimed 40kt top end claimed in the ad might be a bit of a stretch looking at the boat review in FT post which shows:

130hp honda - 40km/h (21.5kt) @ 4000 and 58km/h (31.3kt) @ 5800

wouldn't expect much more from a 135hp

Agree

The opti is 13 kg lighter but you need a oil bottle back there some where you may get a knot or 2 more depending on proping. But 32 knots is fine most days offshore 20 knots will be all you can do safety anyway! I reckon if you could knock them down $2000 it would be a good buy!

TunaKing2008
16-09-2008, 12:08 AM
i personally wouldnt touch it for 38k nice boat and all but there is a hell of alot better out there in the 30-40k bracket with 4 stroke engines on the back. also boat/motor is coming up to nearky 5yrs old again plenty of newer boats still under warranty in this price range. however is a nice looking boat

FNQCairns
16-09-2008, 12:10 AM
But isn't the 135hp a 6 cyl and the same bore and stroke as the 150hp? The Honda just isn't in the race by a long shot IMO.

High 30s might be real possibility, easy mid 30s with fuel gear and a couple of blokes not unrealistic I would guess.

cheers fnq

levinge
16-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Michael, Looks like a tidy rig, the only downsides would be

1. If your serious about your fishing, you have limitations with the bow and all round ability to fight fish
2. 2 stroke smell, not good for some who will be out on the water with you..
3. That floor looks to be just glass no carpet, could get rather slippery with the salt.

Not a bad rig and others are right, if this is the type your after, and its within a few k of the new price, it definitely leaves room to negotiate.

You might change you mind after Wednesday....

megafish71
16-09-2008, 07:30 AM
I had a Yalta 615 Odessa, great boat, I think that the 135 will be a tad underpowered, I had a 200 yamy 4 stroke on mine. The 200 was the max hp for the hull but I think that a 175 suzi would have been the ideal hp and weight for the hull. If you like you can pm me and I'll send you my ph no if you want any more info on the Yaltas.

Cheers Ron

PS I sold mine 2 years ago for 42K

thelump
16-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I reckon if you could haggle to around 35-36 it is a great buy. I have a mate with one with a 200 Opti and it goes like a rocket. In saying that I still think the 135 would push it alright being a V6. I have the 555 with a V4 115 and it pulls it no worries.;)

MarkDiver
16-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Nice rig. Take it for a test run first, don't commit before going for a test run. Good excuse to get away for a weekend so there's nothing to lose. You'll know within 5 min if it's the right boat for you. Face to face will give you more room for negotiation once you've seen anything you may not like or needing repair. Good luck.

BrenMac
16-09-2008, 05:07 PM
But isn't the 135hp a 6 cyl and the same bore and stroke as the 150hp? The Honda just isn't in the race by a long shot IMO.

High 30s might be real possibility, easy mid 30s with fuel gear and a couple of blokes not unrealistic I would guess.

cheers fnq

Spot on FNQ, it would leave the 130 Honda for dead power wise.

Also, forget the 2 stroke smell issue- you may get the very occasional slight whiff from the Opti, but nothing like a standard 2 stroke.

Cheers
Brendan

honda900
16-09-2008, 06:02 PM
jeffrey_h,

Mate lot of disbelievers, here but can tell you this I have a triple 5 as well bought new, had a 130 yami 2- on the back and the thing flew.. 555 is 6.0LOA so not too far off what your looking at, the hull looks like a stretched version.

As for Top end mine clock on my gps, was 70k's an hour and jumped out of the water.

Give Marine tune a call and setup a test drive on a 615 as they are selling them with the 130 as a package. Great boat good value, Yes they are a bit sparse but the hull rides great, stable..

You can buy this boat for 35k brand new..

Go the Yalta!!

Regards
Honda.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/honda900_uw/Boat_Full.jpg

fish-n-dive
18-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Well, I made a tentative inquiry re price (pending an inspection by a qualified person and a offshore trial with me & 3 other blokes on board). The seller is negotiable by a nice amount and obliviously wants to sell this boat.

People, this is a lot of money for anyone and I'm generally motivated by my heart and not my mind .............HELP!!!

FNQCairns
18-09-2008, 07:57 PM
That boat is certainly a 'made with your head decision' IMO, the price well that's up to you.

If the boat can be proven to WOT high in the manufacturers rev range AND cruise at or very near (or above) 45km/h @ 4500 rpm with a full tank and 2 blokes also some gear, if it can do this the real world bottom line is it has enough power to make a very good reef boat.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
18-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Actually what about this one from the same place http://boatscairns.boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBoatID=2827264&TabID=502878

Can you pretend to be interested in testing that one also!and can I come along please:)

cheers fnq

fish-n-dive
18-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Actually what about this one from the same place http://boatscairns.boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBoatID=2827264&TabID=502878

Can you pretend to be interested in testing that one also!and can I come along please:)

cheers fnq

LOL, I wish................... maybe after powerball tonight mate!!! ;)

Pazz01
18-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm a haines hunter man, and I personally don't think you can bet them.

The Yalta's a nice rig but I found this haines on the web. I reckon its a steal. Put up with the older motor for a while and upgrade. The hull would be miles ahead of a Yalta for performance etc.

Just my opinion though.

Pazz

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Haines-Hunter-680-SF_W0QQitemZ300258546810QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33342QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hornet Rider
18-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm a haines hunter man, and I personally don't think you can bet them.

The Yalta's a nice rig but I found this haines on the web. I reckon its a steal. Put up with the older motor for a while and upgrade. The hull would be miles ahead of a Yalta for performance etc.

Just my opinion though.

Pazz

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Haines-Hunter-680-SF_W0QQitemZ300258546810QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33342QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pazz, saw that one this afternoon. It's got the biggest burly pot in the southern hemisphere:o What's wrong with the 225 Ocean pro & what'ya reckon the reserve is? $32k? Quality boat though.

Pazz01
18-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Not sure Hornet.

I reckon that the hull alone would be worth $28k. Might get 2-3K on trade in for a new motor and upgrade might cost u $20k. Got a perfect rig for $50k. Brand new these days that thing would be worth well over $100k. I like it because it's the older design and more weighty then the new ones.

You never know it could be rotten inside and ready to sink if it has lived outside its whole life.

By the sounds of I think you could take it off his hands for $28.

I know the first thing wrong with the ocean pro is that it likes fuel. But for the rebuild i'm not sure. May have cooked it or somethign. But if its been rebuilt it should go for a fair while.

I can only dream, the old girl in the shed will see me out for a few years yet. need that powerball.

Pazz

bigjimg
18-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I had a peek at the Yalta's at the boat show and they were probably the best valued fibreglass boats there.My signature does 40kn without too much effort with three on board and full everything.Hull is around the 800kg 150ltr fuel adults all 85-90kg.Boat is a little smaller at 580 though,even still that boat should
get around 35kn + -.Jim

White Pointer
18-09-2008, 09:45 PM
G'day,

It does seem too small an engine for 6.4M. It also looked to have a lot of prop on it, but it might just be the photograph.

It's not just the power. It's also the weight on the transom. Underpowering can be just as dangerous as overpowering. You need to test it in rough conditions and make sure it can stay on the back of a wave and you have to know that if a wave picks up the stern the boat doesn't broach and if it does that you have enough power on tap to regain control.

For general interest, I reckon this is the absolute bargain - shame about the colour!

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=5717026

White Pointer

fish-n-dive
19-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies, I have decided to buy NEW rather than 2nd hand and start with exactly what I want without having to modify anything. ;)

cheers,
michael

ifishcq1
19-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi White Pointer
have you ever been in a trailcraft in sloppy conditions?
I am still recovering from the back damage last trip

go glass if you are over 30

SL

White Pointer
20-09-2008, 07:54 PM
G'day ifishcq1,

Totally agree - but the original post was about a Yalta and these are pretty light. It all comes down to where you live and where you fish and what you do when the weather turns foul.

Around Moreton I reckon that a good plate boat beats glass. When I lived in Sydney, fishing out of Pittwater, glass was best.

White Pointer