PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Question/Rego

macca
15-09-2008, 05:22 PM
I have just sold my boat, I was told by the buyer that I need a safety certificate on the trailer to transfer the registration.

The Trailer has a tare of 220kg and a AGM of 1000kg with over ride brakes.

So whats the deal?:D

Cheers

horseboy
15-09-2008, 05:45 PM
If it has a wieght over 750kg loadede or not it needs a safety certificate in qld.

Wade

Bunter
15-09-2008, 05:47 PM
macca my understanding of the regulations are that if it has brakes of any type you have to have it inspected
i had a 2 ton box trailer done in march and it set me back about $28.00
regards
bunter

Getout
15-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Any trailer with GVM of over 750kg must have brakes and needs a safety cert to transfer rego.
I bet that many trailers get sold unregistered with brakes that don't work!!!!!!!!

macca
15-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Ok thanks guys for the replies, do I get a normal mechanic to do it that does the safety certificate?

Cheers

Benny01
16-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Ok thanks guys for the replies, do I get a normal mechanic to do it that does the safety certificate?

Cheers

mate a normal mechanic can only do light vehicle upto 4.5 tonnes. they cant do motorbikes, caravans or trailers

mattyd
27-10-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm going to tack onto an old thread as I have the exact same problem.

I've just come from Qld Transport as I need to transfer both boat & trailer rego from my brother in law to me. I thought the trailer itself was only ~350kg's so thought it did NOT require a safety cert.

Well bugger me, but it now looks like it does. She tried to put it through as <750kg's but it's on the system as needing a blue slip to complete the transfer :(

Is it just a matter of ringing around several mechanics on the Inner Northside of Brisbane or can anyone recommend someone? It would be nice if a mobile mechanic could issue a blue slip for the trailer - can't be that much work involved!

The whole package is not even 3 years old and we've just replaced the brake cables on the trailer.

Cheers,

Matt

robersl
27-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Cheers
check people that do box trailer and caravans ect they will do it if he already has the boat well who knows i brought a boat did not get the certificate went to register it i had the same problem i took it down to a trailer place and got the certifcate and took it to qld transport no worries he can do it if he has the boat just ring around first to see who does it in your area and prices differ

shane

mattyd
27-10-2009, 02:56 PM
SOLVED: I have found a authorised inspection point at Matilda (Nundah) who can do it for $40.

And the best part... He's open SATURDAYS!

wrxhoon
27-10-2009, 08:29 PM
You are lucky you are not in NSW, we need an annual inspection on all trailers that are over 750 GVM.

oldboot
28-10-2009, 09:07 AM
remember it isn't the unladen mass of the trailer that is the issue......it is the fully loaded mass (ATM) as printed on the vin plate that matters.

As has been said before.....if it has brakes....a road worthy (sorry "safety certificate") is required.

most of the trailer and caravan manufacturers and repairers to the inspections too.

cheers

Jarrah Jack
28-10-2009, 03:52 PM
If you were in Victoria you don't have to worry about inspections at all, yet.

White Pointer
29-10-2009, 07:54 PM
G'day,

Just a couple of points:

The NSW annual inspection of vehicles over a certain age helps keep a lot of crap off the roads and that makes it safer for people who do the right thing and get stuff serviced occasionally. I bloke a few doors from me reversed his boat and trailer over the kerb a few months ago, snapped the rusted out trailer in half and dropped the boat on the footpath. If it wasn't so dangerous it would be laughable.

The Queensland Government regulates the fee that an Authorised Inspection Station can charge for a Safety Certificate. That's the law.

If the inspection finds the trailer unsafe the inspector can stop you from taking it back on the road. It is a case of fix it here or put it on a tow truck to take it home. Don't complain. The inspector didn't make it defective. His advice is in your interests because if you tow it away you are not insured.

Regards,

White Pointer

lunchcutter
29-10-2009, 08:13 PM
yes every state should have annual inspections there would be a lot of cars trailers off the road