PDA

View Full Version : Scammers still operating on Boatpoint

Crunchy
15-09-2008, 12:26 PM
It has been reported on here before but to anyone that missed it, scams are still operating on boatpoint...

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2982634

Local_Guy
15-09-2008, 01:08 PM
so dodgy. phone number is wrong and they ask for you to contact them via alternate means than through boatpoint.

isn't that the same boat that was advertised on boatpoint about 4 months back.

finding_time
15-09-2008, 02:48 PM
The give away is saying it only uses 45-55l for ten hours pulling lures at the shelf!!! Ya know he's talking B/S

Wahoo
15-09-2008, 07:13 PM
i sort of dont understand why its a scam, nice boat, if you are willing to buy it, one would have a look and then check if money is owing there and then, then take it for a run, if all is good, then hand over the money, im not really sure,

Daz

Pelagic 660
15-09-2008, 08:21 PM
I don't get it either, what's the scam? Seems cheap but maybe it doesn't look so good close up.

Mindi
15-09-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't get it either, what's the scam? Seems cheap but maybe it doesn't look so good close up.
It looks dodgy as... if it is legit where are the contact details and why is the rego number photoshopped over so you cant see it..?

Tri N Hard
15-09-2008, 10:06 PM
That is as dodge as u can get,that boat is worth a lot more than that.You would find that the boat is owned by someone who doesnt even no that add exsists.The way they can scam people is by making out there is a lot of interest in the boat and to hold it they will except a deposit through direct debit into there acccount and with a $10000 price tag some people cannot resist the bargain and will go through with the deal.I bet if u wanted to view the boat the owner would be mysterisly out of town on buisness.

Angla
15-09-2008, 11:11 PM
This is just the first part of the scam. It just gets more involved the more interest you show. The catch is when you give over the money to them....and don't see anything for it

Chris

Hornet Rider
16-09-2008, 12:24 AM
so dodgy. phone number is wrong and they ask for you to contact them via alternate means than through boatpoint.

isn't that the same boat that was advertised on boatpoint about 4 months back.

Yep, this is a scam. It is the same boat Local Guy that was on here before. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=135565&page=2

I was looking at this boat & phoned the real owner who lives sth of Nowra. He & his misses, with new bub, were looking to sell the boat to finance a home purchase. He was looking for about $32K or so, if I remember correctly. The scam at then was reported to Boatpoint & they dropped it. It was also reported to AFP & NSW Police. Anyone reported it to Boatpoint? In fact has anyone reported Boatpoint? They aren't that dim witted that they couldn't detect this was scam, surely, or am I being naive?

Local_Guy
16-09-2008, 09:23 AM
a mate of mine got done by a scam like this through ebay. the seller claimed they were out of town, arranged everything beleivably over phone, the buyer sent the money and the seller dissapeared.

2 weeks later the same add was up on ebay and ebay refused to remove it... this was only for $4000. but what if they had 10 people "buy" the item, thats $40,000 in the dodgy sellers pockets.

And remember, if it appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Mtx
16-09-2008, 10:12 AM
scam is when they ask for a deposit on it.

SeaHunt
16-09-2008, 11:01 AM
The give away is saying it only uses 45-55l for ten hours pulling lures at the shelf!!! Ya know he's talking B/S

And LITERS is not the Australian way of spelling Litres either.

These clowns are usually based overseas, makes finding them and bashing the shit out of them a bit harder.>:(

Don't buy anything site unseen and only pay on delivery.

Poodroo
16-09-2008, 12:07 PM
My lack of trust in people over the years is why I would never look at purchasing online. For me I would rather do the big drive around and look at the range of boats available to suit my needs and then make my decision based on value for money, trust in the boat salesyard staff, affordability etc.
Less likely to getting scammed by someone this way however with the current trends of boatyards folding due to hard economic times I would only leave them a tiny deposit until I knew they had the boat ready to pick up in the yard. Have never purchased anything through Ebay or Boatpoint. Never have, never will.

Poodroo

the gecko
16-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Reported to boatpoint today 12.20pm. Lets see how long it takes to get shut down.

Ebay have always obliged when Ive reported scams, I wonder if boatpoint does the same quickly.

The-easyrider
16-09-2008, 12:27 PM
And LITERS is not the Australian way of spelling Litres either..

i woodunt letspellin bee the gudge off weather there from oversees , oar you wood thunk harf the pepol on fourms rer frem overcees meself included;D

Mindi
16-09-2008, 03:32 PM
My lack of trust in people over the years is why I would never look at purchasing online. For me I would rather do the big drive around and look at the range of boats available to suit my needs and then make my decision based on value for money, trust in the boat salesyard staff, affordability etc.
Less likely to getting scammed by someone this way however with the current trends of boatyards folding due to hard economic times I would only leave them a tiny deposit until I knew they had the boat ready to pick up in the yard. Have never purchased anything through Ebay or Boatpoint. Never have, never will.

Poodroo

yeah well i am buying in the next 3-6 mths unless the economy gets even worse ...hahah...(why am I larfing) and its a problem...if I leave a significant deposit at a yard on Pacific Hwy (which has gone bust before)and they go bust in the 4-5 weeks I wait then I am stuffed....and I figure they wont take a small enough deposit to make me comfortable.

fishenmick
16-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Looks like boatpoint have removed it. The link now has:

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/carcontent/endeca/t_sorry.gif
The boat you are looking for is no longer available.
Please click here to find another boat (http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/search.aspx).

Obviously due to the views of personnel on this web site.

Mick

Crunchy
17-09-2008, 12:56 PM
i sort of dont understand why its a scam, nice boat, if you are willing to buy it, one would have a look and then check if money is owing there and then, then take it for a run, if all is good, then hand over the money, im not really sure,

Daz

the lesson for today is:

Caveat emptor

PinHead
17-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Poodroo...places like boatpoint are fantastic to locate what you are after. I am glad it was there..made selling my 30' boat very simple indeed...to a bloke in Melbourne. Would not have done that without internet selling sites.

As for deposit on purchases..I do not accept orders to do installs on domestic projects without a deposit equal to my purchase cost of materials. Been caught before ..never again. If people don't want to pay a substantial deposit then they can go and rip someone else off.

Wahoo
17-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Thought it was obvious::) anyway the lesson for today is:

Caveat emptor

only a FOOL would lay down $$$$$$ without even looking/testing a boat::)

spears
17-09-2008, 06:31 PM
And they only get the boat after the bank cheuqe clears