PDA

View Full Version : Good deed done by my old man at Noosa

SummerTrance
14-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Just been up to Noosa for the weekend to visit my parents for my old mans b'day. My Dad told me a story from a few weeks back. While loading up his boat at a noosa ramp, he found a new very nice offshore combo. The reel was a Shimano Calcutter J series, and the rod was some sort of custom (he couldnt remember the name)
Rather then just keeping the combo and thinking bonus, the old man printed up a notice stating that he'd found a near new combo (didnt put exact details) and took it to all the local tackle shops, and also put ads in the 'lost & found section' of the two local papers.
A few days later the owner called and gave all the correct details, at which time the old man organised to return the combo to its rightful owner. He said the guy was a young fella about 18-20, and obviously was very very grateful. Turns out the guy had imported the reel from japan, and it was an expensive custom rod.
The owner who turned up to pick up the combo, had just been out diving for crays, and gave the old man four good size crays as a thank-you. Also the guys at Barra Jacks TackleWorld gave him a free $15 lure as a good gesture.

Anyways, I thought I'd dob in Dad for doing a good deed, as im sure losing a combo like that would have been devistating for the owner, but to get it back would have been unreal.
I've added a pic of a big barra the old boy caught in the Noosa River about 2 years ago. Yes thats right, in the noosa river! Im sure most of the noosa locals have seen this pic in the local tackle shops. Good on ya Dad. Happy b'day!

disorderly
14-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Beaut story,mate..:):)

What a world it would be, if all were as sincere and honest as your old man....

Beaut fish too....would that have been a wild fish or possibly an escapee??

Scott

SummerTrance
14-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Beaut fish too....would that have been a wild fish or possibly an escapee??

Not sure mate. Dad's been fishing noosa river for 30+ years, and thats the only barra he's ever seen there. He also got two good size jacks that morning so was very happy. He was by himself but another boat passed by just as he landed it, and they took the pic and dropped in into davo's tackle shop for him. As you can see, he was completely blown away by the catch. He goes on trips up north a couple times a year chasing barra, but to get one his own backyard was unbelievable :o The fish was also released.

CreelReaper
15-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Well done to your dad mate and a Happy birthday to him too. It really is a pleasure to hear stories like this one. Well done to the store for the good gesture too.

Shane

TheRealAndy
15-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Not sure mate. Dad's been fishing noosa river for 30+ years, and thats the only barra he's ever seen there. He also got two good size jacks that morning so was very happy. He was by himself but another boat passed by just as he landed it, and they took the pic and dropped in into davo's tackle shop for him. As you can see, he was completely blown away by the catch. He goes on trips up north a couple times a year chasing barra, but to get one his own backyard was unbelievable :o The fish was also released.

Great to see some honest people around for a change.

Nugget always talks about some spear fisho's that caught a couple of barra down near the pin. The divers did not know what it was so they got nugget to identify it!

theoldlegend
15-09-2008, 06:43 AM
That's a real good story to read !!

Well done to your father for going to all the trouble of putting notices up everywhere too. :D

TOL

Willow1
15-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Finally a story of a decent bloke doing a great deed. Take my hat off to him, It really is great to hear.

BaitThrower
15-09-2008, 07:38 AM
bloody legend!

ffejsmada
15-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Onya Dad!;)

Hey ST, I haven't seen your old man on the river yet chasing the red fellas, having a late start to the season is he???

No doubt I'll see him later in the year.

Cheers, Jeff.

Poodroo
15-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Mate thanks for sharing your dad's good deed story. In times where I seem to have less and less faith in society, hearing such an example of a good samaritan like your dad helps restore a little faith in this world I am living in so thanks.

Poodroo

Pete62
15-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks for sharing, what a great way to start the week. Good onya dad, bet those crays tasted super sweet with a side dish of good Karma. Cheers, Pete.

SummerTrance
15-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Onya Dad!;)

Hey ST, I haven't seen your old man on the river yet chasing the red fellas, having a late start to the season is he???

No doubt I'll see him later in the year.

Cheers, Jeff.

Yeh, I was just telling him of the few reports of jacks caught over the past week, and he said he was planning on heading out soon. He's been doing a fair bit of rock fishing lately, and he's taking my bro-in-law fishing up Teewah beach next weekend. So ya might see him out there after that.

dogsbody
15-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Your Pa's a good egg ST. Hate to think what would have happened if a generation pill popper would have found it.

Dave.

Tewantin
18-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Good on him for the kindness and concern - I hope his Karma points are well and truly topped up.

Dignity
20-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Just like Terry, he will go all out to find the rightfull owner, fished with him in the Daly and he is a real gentleman, does he still like his glass of red. Say g'day and happy birthday from me will ya.

Sam

Danbar77
20-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Great story ST. Tez and I went up to D.Is today with the new 13'6 surf rod in his 4x4. A full day out and brought home a 8 big dart and 3 nice bream. Smashin day out with him, great to be taught buy one of the best

SummerTrance
21-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Hey Dan,

Good to hear the old man got you onto some fish.

SummerTrance
21-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Just like Terry, he will go all out to find the rightfull owner, fished with him in the Daly and he is a real gentleman, does he still like his glass of red. Say g'day and happy birthday from me will ya.

Sam

He sure does still like a glass or two of red. I emailed him a link to this thread, so he's seen your reponse.
He said he was humbled by all the positive replies.

Angla
25-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Just plain Good Form.

There are people that practice acts of kindness everyday and it's good to see your dad practices too.

Some days we just forget, and it's nice to see and hear of reminders every now and then.

Chris

Scalem
26-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Can you ask your Dad to come down and fish the mouth of the Logan for me Marc, I am still depressed about losing my custom Schneider rod with Alvey drag reel there a few years ago.::) The pain of losing a prize combo like this lingers on for years, good on him for saving the young bloke from all that - he's a gift to society on his birthday instead of the other way around.

Scalem

Pistol_P
28-09-2008, 02:35 PM
That your dad Summer..?....I see him quite alot.

He comes into Barra Jacks quite often....Nice fella.

Great fish that barra was.

Pete

alphas
29-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Well done to your dad...you must be proud.

Cheech
30-09-2008, 07:35 AM
A very similar thing happened to me about 3 years ago. I left 3 combo's at Whyte Island ramp. One of them was a 4500 baitrunner. Probably about $600.00 all up in value.

Another fisho took them home for safe keeping and left his phone number on the pole the rods were leaning against.

Later that arvo I took around a carton of golds and was reunited with my hear. Ended up being another Ausfisher called Sandbar.

There are still good people out there.