PDA

View Full Version : next radio course

learnin
14-09-2008, 06:10 PM
The next radio licensing course will be run on Saturday October 11 at the VMR base at Victoria Point. If this date suits, or to ask about the next course, contact me at radio@vmr.org.au.

Ozie_3
14-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Cool...
does this fully qualify you for a vhf license, and if so do you supply the license or where are they acquired ?? at extra cost $?? pa ??
how much is the course and how long does it take ??
think thats about it.. any other info would be cool though ...
cheers Chris

oldboot
14-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I can highy recomend this course, I was on the last one.

the course is one day, you do the exam at the end, the exam is sent south ( way south) to be marked, if you pass they issue you with your certificate.

the material in the course isn't complicated, the exam isnt all that hard......if you were paying attention all day you shouldn't have any problem.

You will also learn some stuff you wanted to know anyway.

TIP.....pay attention to the " important frequencies"....and how long the batteries last in eperbs and beacons......those are probaly the hardest questions to remember.

If you are thinking about it..... DO IT

I was surprised how few were there on my course.

Oh for anybody thinking about jumping from 27 meg up to VHF and therfore need this course......the jump is worth it......do the course and make the switch.

cheers

learnin
15-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words oldboot. The VHF only course has fewer frequencies to remember, so is a little easier. If you are likely to use a HF radio in the future, such as for offshore cruising or 4WDing thru Aussie, then the extra effort to get the VHF/HF license is worth it.

The course costs $100 which includes the Government license fee, a radio handbook and the donation to the VMR for course expenses.

It takes about 3 weeks after the course to get the results, and your license if you passed the test.

The course is run at Victoria Point VMR, starts at 0830 sharp, so be early for paperwork. You MUST have a colour passport sized pic for your license, so i can send it away with your exam paper.

Captain Seaweed
16-09-2008, 06:22 AM
I am booked in looking forward to it!
Marty

honda900
18-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I was on the same course as oldboot..

was good course, exam is pretty easy.. I had 5 questions on batteries.. sequential, parallell, maintence, etc.

What i did learn is my radio in my boat is a good unit has all the features, minus DSC.

Got the license.

Thanks again to the guys at vicky point was well run..

BTW dont forget to open your wallet a bit for a donation..

Regards
Honda.

Ozie_3
18-09-2008, 08:29 PM
email sent
cheers Chris

Ozie_3
11-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Just got back from the course... what a great day..
everything was well covered, with revision after each section...
all this making the exam a breeze (i hope, will know in a few weeks)
as oldboot and honda900 say its a well invested time and the mf/hf is the way to go, just a few more questions than the vhf....

thanks Kevin
cheers Chris 8-)