PDA

View Full Version : want to bbuild an ally boat 36'

boatboy72
13-09-2008, 01:14 AM
hi i plan to build my own boat have looked at some kits and have decided that i would like to design it as well as build it can anny one suggest a cad to use and where to start thanks

cbs
13-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Boatboy,

I might be in a better position than most to answer this one, since I just happen to do this kind of thing for a crust.

Designing a boat is not simply a case of telling a cad program to design you a 36' boat (which is no small project btw). You also need to understand the information you need to determine the design. Arrangement issues (how is it going to look/operate) are probably one area where almost anyone can have an input, but what about the structure, scantlings, buoyancy/trim/stability, engineering issues and other calculations that go inot a seaworthy vessel? A single cad program will not do this for you. They might help, but they certainly won't do it all.

The program suite I use consists of Maxsurf, Hydromax, AutoCad and Rhinocerous plus excel with a set of usefull spreadsheets I have written over the years. These programs (except excell) are quite expensive (read thousands each) and require a reasonable machine to run in some cases.

You might be better off taking this money and talking to someone about a custom design with your input. It will be a small percentage of the total required to build this vessel, and could make or break the project for you.

pm me if you have any further questions.

I hope I wasn't condecending in this post, that wasn't my intention.

cbs

boatboy72
13-09-2008, 10:35 AM
cbs thanks for your advise i do have a trial rhino at the moment just to see how i go before paying out big bucks having some trouble getting my head around it at the moment but i'm a determined little buggar !
and hopefully with guidance from good pepole like yourself i can pull this off
i do have welding experience
and design and engineering experience
and a machanical back ground

madmackrel
13-09-2008, 01:01 PM
8-) Boatboy be carefull, it might all look good on the computer but when it comes to the crunch she could end up like so many of those one of lemons you see in boat yards. Do your homework . In actuall fact , at manlyRQYS some largish boats have had to undergo some major work to get them working write.
Cheers MM