PDA

View Full Version : Bassing????

smoked
12-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Hi, I wanna start doing some bass fishing. I now have my boat ready to go V nose punt 15hp outboard, leccy, casting platform and all my rods and tackle. Im from Camira which is near Ipswich. Im going to get my fresh water permit tomorrow and start from there. I wanted to get advice on where to start off at? Which dams should i start off at? which ones are outboards allowed in? any help is very much appriecated

smoked

PinHead
13-09-2008, 04:53 AM
get a copy of Beacon to Beacon..maps of dams in there with regulations regarding boating, SIP, and other info regarding them. Also has names of fishes stocked and also contacts for the local stocking associations.

MeePee_99
13-09-2008, 07:23 AM
The best dam would be maroon, full of small to med size bass which fight really hard. The best techniques i have found is in the summer casting jackalls and spinnerbaits at the edges and structure. Plastics work really well too bass sliders on 1/4 oz jighead and also bream plastics (the banana and pepper prawn fished on a 1/16 - 1/8 jighead work well at this time of year). Also as the weather warms up surface lures fished at dawn and dusk are really effective, jackall musked frog and most "walk the dog" lures work well, just casting towards the edges and working the lures back. Hopefully this will be a start, as with most things in fishing the more you fish the dam the better you will understand the techniques and lures that work for you

Hardb8
15-09-2008, 09:21 PM
G'day Smoked,
I recommend ya have a look at Fitzys' site www.sweetwater.com.au (http://www.sweetwater.com.au) It's a great source of info,An excellent place to get ya started.;)

Cheers. B8.:)

Cammy
16-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Launch out and find some nice structure and foliage have a good couple of casts round it, also do you have an electric motor? These are awsome for scouring the edges of any dam whereas you can just keep casting and move along slowly, Lures of my choice atm are Massy vibes, spros and jackalls. I also have some slugs but i havent been out there fishing with them yet, another good type of lure is the soft plastic live frog, i dunno if thats he correct name, but it used to pull bass out of anywhere down south.

Have ago at wivenhoe and somerset dams pretty sur you can take the boat out on them, i mates with a guy on utube that has caught a 65cm bass out at wivenhoe.

Cammy

modo
16-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Get onto the SEQ web site and find dams and look around to see the dam you want fish because some dams require boat permits also and some don't let you on the water at night you don't want to get fined a big dampner.