PDA

View Full Version : steering help needed asap !!!!!!!

benny2208
12-09-2008, 06:13 PM
hey guys a couple of weeks ago i went and put my boat (4.75 alum stacer seamaster with 60hp merc ) in to the water got it of the trailer got it going jumped in reversed back then went to turn the stering and it broke !!!!!!!

the steering cable keeps coming out of the steering thing behind the steering wheel . when i wind the steering to the right .

ive cleaned the cable near the motor as i think it might of been stiff!!!!!!

so my question is how do i stop it coming out of it ????

pics attached to explain more

ronnien
12-09-2008, 06:55 PM
benny,

looks like there is a pin or screw missing, the cable should be up more to the helm & a pin or screw holds it in, hope this helps mate.

ron.

FNQCairns
12-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Mate you don't fix it you replace it, with hope lock stock and barrel, I have had one go on me at a fast sounding speed...I can only imagine what travelling faster would do.

Cheers fnq

benny2208
12-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Mate you don't fix it you replace it, with hope lock stock and barrel, I have had one go on me at a fast sounding speed...I can only imagine what travelling faster would do.

Cheers fnq

thanks wat part do i actually replace ?

FNQCairns
12-09-2008, 07:10 PM
I would replace both the cable and the helm, the worm and roller can slip, I cannot say what it was up to before it pulled through but finding parts for old setups is near impossible.
If you do go new and say get a no-feedback unit (nfb) you will enjoy the boat so much more as a bonus.

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
12-09-2008, 08:50 PM
..Looks like you don't have the cable locked into the helm properly.. take both bolts out of the helm where the cable goes in.. push the cable in and re install the bolts.