PDA

View Full Version : Old Fuel Disposal

marsileo
12-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I have had old two stroke outboard fuel sitting in my tank for about 5 months as I havent been able to get the boat out for a while. I want to get rid of it and put some fresh fuel in this weekend.

Does anyone know where or how I can dispose of old fuel?

Cheers,

scrubba01
12-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Yes I will take it no probelm.
If you get an octain boost to put in it you should be fine or a product like fuel set. Stops you having any problems with water in fuel or algal growth and holds the octain. But I wouldn't think that this fuel would cause you any problems. If you were to have problems it would more likely be from the fuel which has been sitting in the carby or fuel pump not the tank.

Scott nthQld
12-09-2008, 02:35 PM
your local dump should have a site for dumping old fuel and oil, but i don't think they'd have any containers to pour it into. Give them a call and find out whether you need to take it in an appropriate container, or if they've got something to siphon it into.

Is the fuel mixed with 2 stroke oil? if not, put it in your car and top up with premium unleaded, any degradation will be balanced out with the extra RON level of the 'fresh' premium, if there's any floaties in it, your car's fuel filter will take care of that before it gets to the engine.

Sea-Dog
12-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Do you have a lawn mower and/or whipper snipper?

They're not too fussy. You might want to mix it with some new fuel if you have long grass though.

I used some fuel >12 months old and the mower lacked a bit of oomph until I mixed in some fresh unleaded.

fishenmick
12-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Your local Metro or CFS Firies will probably take it. Worth a ring.

Mick

fleety77
12-09-2008, 06:09 PM
on the grass;)

datamile
12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Couldn't get rid on mine in redlands. Council won't take it ;( bit old now for the mower.

FNQCairns
12-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Someone I know uses it as a short term weed killer, in the whipper snipper, mower etc all as said above.

cheers fnq

Hornet Rider
12-09-2008, 09:43 PM
how many ltrs we talking about?

tunaticer
12-09-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm still running 2y/o mixed two stroke thru my whipper snipper mower and blower with no probs. Taking ages to use up the 100 litres of contaminated fuel i got lumbered with from the servo.

Jack.

Quaker
12-09-2008, 10:02 PM
just blend it with fuel in your car, put say 50L of fresh fuel & 10L of the old stuff. The 2 stroke oil won't hut your car as it'll be that diluted you wouldn't know it was there.

marsileo
13-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. The wipper snipper it is. about two hours of it this afternoon.

Thanks again,