PDA

View Full Version : replying to posts

breamnut
11-09-2008, 03:56 PM
im probs gunna cop a fair bit of crap for this but ive spoken to quite a few other ausfishers and they have agreed with me.
something that bugs me is when somebody puts a post up on barra fishing for intance you always get people replying to that post ''trying to give advice'' whilst they have had no or next to no experiance at all in fishing for them, giving advice on something you know hardly anything about isnt right as you often put people way of track.
this doesnt just happen for barra but for jack,snapper, bream ect
i really dont want to say any names as its not necessary. please unlesx you have done a fair amount of specilist fishing dont pretend you know because people go out and buy the wrong gear for that situation

fish-n-dive
11-09-2008, 05:51 PM
LOL, I don't know if I'm on your list of people who are "less than qualified" but I felt the need to respond to your post.

While I hear and understand what you are saying, forums are for everyone, newbie to pro.

I think that you are not giving credit for common sense in the membership. Numerous people usually respond to any given post and by its very nature, it is up to the readers to sort the chaff from the wheat....so to speak.

If you hold back people from commenting, that is censorship and in my book, thats not on.

Discount what someone says for what ever reason is your choice but don't hold them back from participating otherwise this forum becomes an elitist place and will die a slow death.

BLOOEY
11-09-2008, 06:04 PM
I think you may need to get out for a fish bream nut. Ben

dogsbody
11-09-2008, 06:15 PM
How else is one supposed to get their post count up. ;)

It's the same when somebody asks which reel and people tell them they need to spend up when it's not nesessary.

Dave.

fish-n-dive
11-09-2008, 06:20 PM
How else is one supposed to get their post count up. ;)

It's the same when somebody asks which reel and people tell them they need to spend up when it's not necessary.

Dave.

I dont think its about getting posts up........even if your tongue was in your cheek.

I's about participation with like minded people and if you start to alienate newbies you probably need to move on........JMHO............

Horse
11-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Its up to the reader to determine the worth of the response

Dodgy_Back
11-09-2008, 06:28 PM
There are many self proclaimed "experts" on the fishing forums a lot are just young teenagers just havinga bit of fun talking themselves up.
Sound familiar to anyone ?
What level of expertise do you think you should have to be able to answer ??
5 ,10 ,15 years chasing one species or one method of capture .

breamnut
11-09-2008, 06:33 PM
100% correct horse but for someone who is in experianced they may not know.
im not sure if its to get there ''post count up'' but i think it is unfair to people who may not know.
i know its a public forum and people can write and reply what they want but if your were looking for a new combo im sure u wouldnt want someone recomending gear that isnt sutable for the situation

Spaniard_King
11-09-2008, 06:34 PM
I dunno, I see some posts with requests for info that get no response.. I feel for these people.. weather it's right or wrong, sometimes it's good just to get a response.

I also beleive in Horse's veiw.. still up to people to determin what best suits them.. not always the best gear is needed to acheive a goal :)

jim_bream
11-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Here's a little trick I learned as a six-year-old:

If you don't like the look of something, don't look at it....

FNQCairns
11-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Well the bloke/s who think some advice is wrong or poor need to post advice WITH WHY they think this is so. This is not an office meeting with a pecking order toward what is best opinion/idea.

Some of the most useless or plain wrong advice I have ever had in everyday life was professional or expert in offering. Here I have seen and been part of the same.

cheers fnq

breamnut
11-09-2008, 06:43 PM
There are many self proclaimed "experts" on the fishing forums a lot are just young teenagers just havinga bit of fun talking themselves up.
Sound familiar to anyone ?
What level of expertise do you think you should have to be able to answer ??
5 ,10 ,15 years chasing one species or one method of capture .
no particualer years of expertise, as there are alot of fisherman who pick up technics very quickly. and it aint just teenagers.
im not sure if your talking about me ''talking myself up'' everyone to there own and i dont think i do.
i know there are different styles of fishing and how people approch the situation.
but some is just complety wrong

breamnut
11-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I think you may need to get out for a fish bream nut. Ben
i have no boat atm;D;)

fish-n-dive
11-09-2008, 06:50 PM
mate, without being arrogant, I think the forum feels that open communication is the go...............

DR
11-09-2008, 06:52 PM
a lot of advice might from people who haven't done much of a particular style of fishing, but may have asked the same or similar questions & are being helpful by passing along the info that they received.
Anyone who asks a question & theen relies on one set of answers is a bit foolish, in this day of the internet you can get 1000 answers to a question in about 5 seconds, so it pays to do as much research as possible, which i am sure that most do..

On the other side of the coin, you have those that ask a question & then don't acknowledge some good replies untill one of the recognised heavy hitters posts, they then thank them for the info, ignoring the same from others. I have seen this happen countless times..

webby
11-09-2008, 06:53 PM
So what gives you the accredations to down grade others, in what they say.
Do you know all there is to know about every species.
regards

Didley
11-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Get 2 experts together and they'll argue about every detail, we all do things differently. Ask 4 lots of advise, then pick out the bits that make sense to you, and flush the rest. That's life.

breamnut
11-09-2008, 07:01 PM
no way i havent even scratched the surface! but exactly why i did not name,
i knew i was going to cop some crap but i still wanted to here other people thoughts.

webby
11-09-2008, 07:05 PM
So why put the post up in the first place

PinHead
11-09-2008, 07:05 PM
On reels:
“wait till u guys see the new daiwa sols and saltiga;s coming soon to a store near you"
“put another $30 into it and go a shimano torium 20 or 30 that will pump em of the reef alot faster then a spinfisher and its shinnier then a tld:P"
"for me i go by daiwa spin reels and shimano overheads"

"i dont by the best gear out there but for most of my fishin (breamin with sp's) i use daiwa sols very good reel for there price and they have...”

On boats:
“think there made in WA very tough boats”

“i wouldnt say they are better then other for strokes but they are cheaper then merc,suzuki and most other brands dont get me wrong they are a great motor but i think its pritty hard to get bad motors”

"poly's are a heavy boat and u probebly need more HP on the poly then the same sized aluminium boat"
"i agree both yammie and merc's have failed but the amount of etec's ive seen and herd of failing compaired to yammie or merc is alot and there are more yammies and mercs on the water compaired to...”

On line
“if ur fishing deep water it doesnt matter as most colours vanish after 10m or so though if u fish the rivers bright lines can put the fish of if there finiky or its clear, therfore u either have to"

On rods:

"the black starlo stix are the one on the hastings (tourniment pro) and mo has em for $100 atm the blue ones are crap"

“pflueger trions and awsome rods for $99 the 4-8kilo would be perfect"

"some of the rods from the pfueger stable are very nice and are one of the most under-estimated rods on the market with a small"

“for that price go one of the starlo stick rods, when u fuully load the raiders up on a decent fish the blank bends right though the but section, a 4000 or 5000 will be fine and depending what line u”

On lures:

“both work to there own on different days, eg in very clear water when im breamin id rather go for a natural look of a squidgie flickbait in flash prawn or green gremlin(old colour thats works ..."

“personally i like towadi's better them px 45's but any of those ''walk the dog style lures should be good."

"also if u really wanted to get some a mile a luckey craft 52nw pencil would be good, caught...”

I thought the above quotes were opinions but I must have been mistaken. Obviously, all that is written in these quotes is gospel and must be adhered to.
Get over it mate...everyone has a right to express an opinion...even me..who has trouble catching any sort of fish at any time.

webby
11-09-2008, 07:06 PM
So why put the post up in the first place, if your own knowledge is not up to scratch.

davez104
11-09-2008, 07:16 PM
It happens on all forums, people giving info that goes against common beliefs. Sometimes it's ignored, but more often than not it promotes discussion on the subject, I think thats a good thing.

The more replies the better, I'm sure you are capable of sorting out the information that you will "choose" to believe.

You just never know when someone is going to offer up a little gem of information that will hold you in good stead for a long time, whether it be a new knot or an off beat technique.

Just imagine someone telling you 20 years ago that little rubber lures where the best way to catch snapper. You would have wanted them locked up, nowdays it has everyone running for the tackle stores.

Just don't be too quick to judge and filter the info as you see best.

Dave.

Oh, and quit bitchin.

cbruh1
11-09-2008, 07:18 PM
A little bit off the topic but in the same catagory about replying to posts, Pisses me off no end when I see a reply in a post that hold no substance, Like: "Good work. Nice catch. Great effort" Fair enough they are nice replies, but when people do it for every single post, is just annoying. With the levels of AUSFISH newbie, bronze, silver, gold, platnum, addict I like to think the people gold and above are people who know a fair bit about fishing, and I look up to these people for advice and think they may know a thing or two. But when its someone who has replied 1500 times with "good fish mate". Its just stupid, and I am sure they think they are top snot aswell.

breamnut
11-09-2008, 07:19 PM
pinhead- wat one of those post is complety wrong? i dont thinkany of it would be putting someone onto the wrong advice:-/

webby- 1 i wanted to here other peoples thoughts, and nobody on these forums knows everything about fishing.

2. surly u have seen advice given that you thought was wrong for someones needs,

i can see what others are saying and if i have offended anybody im sorry but this is a topic that other people have talked about wether they are signed up or just read the forums

fish-n-dive
11-09-2008, 07:24 PM
pinhead- wat one of those post is complety wrong? i dont thinkany of it would be putting someone onto the wrong advice:-/

webby- 1 i wanted to here other peoples thoughts, and nobody on these forums knows everything about fishing.

2. surly u have seen advice given that you thought was wrong for someones needs,

i can see what others are saying and if i have offended anybody im sorry but this is a topic that other people have talked about wether they are signed up or just read the forums

Mate, your spot on, no one has all the answers but in life, when you ask a question, you have to be prepared for the myriad of answers you will get. Dot take it personally, just accept it's info and you can accept it or offload it.

ffejsmada
11-09-2008, 07:27 PM
2. surly u

Hey Webby, I think he meant surely;D ...............but I can sense you are becoming surly;D ;D lol

no offence mate;)

PinHead
11-09-2008, 07:32 PM

none of them may be wrong and none of them may be right...they are your opinions only..it is up to the reader to work out what suits them.
How about I put here that all you need to catch a heap of bream is an old wilson rod, 5" alvey and some platypus mono...bloody cheap set up..and some chook gut,,nails them nearly every time..may not suit others but usually works for me but that is just my opinion also. Have been fishing like that for the past 40 years..does that make me experienced at it..NO..cos someone might want to try SP's or other lures and they may prefer another type of rod or reel.
As for the TABS boat..would not own one if you gave it to me..but once again..my opinion only...take it or leave it.

breamnut
11-09-2008, 07:35 PM
pinhead-ur combo with chicken gut would be fine, but not so for light soft plastics for bream.
also i wouldnt want a tabs boat if i had a boat like yours!

BARRAkid
11-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't see any thing wrong with what breamnut has written in the past.
I agree with 90% of what i have read that he has posted in this and other forums.
Yes sol and saltiga's are great reels AGREE ,towardi's are better the px45 AGREE,daiwa spin reels are great AGREE and shimano overheads are great even know i would rather own daiwa and the list goes on.
As a fellow young,bream and lure fisho i think breamnut has given some good advice for beginers KEEP IT UP BNUT :P

This is a good topic and i think it is ok if people reply to stuff that they have had minimum experience as long as it has actually work for them .

not everything on movies and books are true but everyone has different ways to catch different fish ;)

cheers BK

Dodgy_Back
11-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Pin head has it right "take it or leave it"

A $300 outfit for some may be rubbish but for others it may be gold.

each to their own

FNQCairns
11-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Another thing that happens all of the time here is the poster will post an open Q knowing full well the decision they have made is without good reason and are just looking for anything to justify it, often in this scenario the bloke with the less than thought out reply comes into this own:)

cheers fnq

Steve B
11-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breamnut http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=653851#post653851)
there pritty good but there is no use settleing for 2nd best so i will stick with....
yep u got it DAIWA!
i would rather stick with a brand that justs makes fishing tackle. not a brand that makes bike parts. hahaaha

Daiwa also make other products, including golf clubshttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

heres some expert advices from breamnut in a post last year diawa vs shimano or something to that effect.....lucky his false info was corrected by someone else 'more experienced'

I understand what your trying to say Breamnut, but you really should think before YOU post.

Steve

BARRAkid
11-09-2008, 08:06 PM
What is really the problem with this post ?

It is true there is a lot of people that talk out there ass and misslead beginers i believe .
Steve B i wouldn't know daiwa made golfing gear either :o Golf is for fags :-* ...............just joking

cheers BK

rubba
11-09-2008, 08:12 PM
mate no one is going to tell you where there spot is for good fish you have to put the time in and find spots thats why you have sounder in youre boat it takes time and money and you have got to listnen to people and sort out shit from truth and try everything then when you find new spots and catch fish you dont share youre marks cheers dale8-)

Steve B
11-09-2008, 08:12 PM
What is really the problem with this post ?

It is true there is a lot of people that talk out there ass and misslead beginers i believe .
Steve B i wouldn't know daiwa made golfing gear either :o Golf is for fags :-* ...............just joking

cheers BK

Barrakid, He tried telling everyone that diawa was better because they only made fishing gear and shimano was inferior because they diversified in other fields....unfortunatly, someone corrected his 'misinformation' regarding Diawas manufacturing enterprises!!

Basically, he didnt have the facts, misleading people....something he hates others doing according to this thread.

Chong
11-09-2008, 08:15 PM
This happens every 12 mths or so, a post, a reply, a quote, some advice what ever it is some of its not relevant, some is stupid, some is great info and some don’t like it. You wont get a better sounding board that an open forum. As Horse said its up to the reader to determine the value of the post. I don’t post a lot, cause what I got to say has been, or I don’t know any better or I already know it. All I do know is this site has made me some great mates, giving me some top ideas and now and then I think I add a bit of a story or some relevant info that may help, most of all its fun. Take it with a grain of salt, have a say, make a point. So staying with in the topic and not posting just to get counts up, guys and girls take a chill pill, if you don’t like it don’t read it, if you think you can help (right or wrong) its your opinion and its valued here.
Time for fish all, stay cool.8-)
Cheers,
Chong

danryan75
11-09-2008, 08:22 PM
hey nutter.

i totally agree witrh you. a few months ago i notices 2 young fellas (not naming names you will know who they are :P ) replying to every post on the board sometimes giving advice which i believe was incorrect(dont trust me on that) or able to be backed up by the writer (just stating most expensive size 4000 reel with most expensive 3-5kg rod for bay snaps) and sometimes they wouldnt even have anything to say so they would just say "no idea mate" to me it just seemed to be getting their status to gold as they made it their in about 2 months. i mean credit where credits due to all the people who help on here its a great site because of you fellas. but the people who like ro run their mouth about all this stuff theyve never done or experienced or used are detracting from this site and misleading beginners. and to be honest i ask alot of questions and have no idea if i get reliable answers but sometimes you can just tell that theyre making it up. But as is always said around here,
Each to their own and choose to believe what you want to believe.

Cheers Daniel

straddie
11-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Heya Breamnut

I think I know where you are coming from. Some posts you can see what appears to be an authoritive post that is so far off you know they have no experience in what they are talking about. I noticed a while back a few young blokes in particualr going hard on stuff they obviously knew nothing about. Pretty harmless in the most part but you have to feel for the guys that come on say they have no experience a limited budget and then get some bad info.

For the most part I like newbie fishos posting as they can come in with some off the wall stuff I might never have heard of that might or might not work but piques my interest. It would just be nice if they could start with maybe " I haven't done much of this but heres what I do ...."

As far as correcting people it gets a bit tedious around here at times and I start into some threads and think this is going get drawn out so bail without posting. Even posting on subjects I have previously posted in is becoming a chore, particularly when you can sit and see something close to a cut and paste of someone elses or even one of your own replies :D

5" Alvey, Platypus platinum, 30+ year hollow glass rod is my goto bream rod :)

BARRAkid
11-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Barrakid, He tried telling everyone that diawa was better because they only made fishing gear and shimano was inferior because they diversified in other fields....unfortunatly, someone corrected his 'misinformation' regarding Diawas manufacturing enterprises!!

Basically, he didnt have the facts, misleading people....something he hates others doing according to this thread.

Steve B you are rite ;D
But with forums you can't judge by what is said as it is not strait from there mouth for yourself to here.
The way i take the second sentance of what breamnut said is as a joke (hahaha at the end) but i am not a serious person really i like a good laugh. ;D

I am happy if someone replyed to any of my posts as i think with fishing for awile (aprox 10 years full on) i can make up my own decision if i should take in this info or forget about it.
But when i first started i would have been misslead and most probably purchase or do what was advised but obviously we are all keen fisho's or we wouldn't be on this site reading all about fishing and destinations and arguing on what is rite and wrong. So i think everyone is responceable to post correct info that has given them sucess.
And to whoever is replying to any post to get there count up give it a miss no one cares if you are a gold member doesn't make you special ::)
(sorry about any spelling mistakes :P )
cheers BK

Steve B
11-09-2008, 08:59 PM
To easy Barra kid, I CAN see what he's trying to say in his original post. to an extent I agree. misleading info is a pain, but all info is valuable to someone, and sorting what you want from the rest is each to their own. Public forums are great. I have learnt so much from both young and up and coming, and the old salts with experience under their belt.

We are all better for learning. I agree with your sentements regarding levels...who cares hey!..One of the best fishos I have ever met is still a newby to Ausfish.
steve

oldboot
11-09-2008, 09:11 PM
I think is has to be understood that this like many others is a "discussion board", if it was an information service or a resource presented as being authoritative, I would have agreat deal of problems with a great many posts.

But it is discussion........and discussion is how a great many things have been learned and discovered.......... discussion allows many ideas of greatly varying merit to be presented and tested.

Also one doesn ot have to be greatly experienced to understand and present basic concepts correctly..........

I think also that there are so many differing views and methods in fishing that a hard fact is difficult to come by.

Now not so long ago I was scoffed at (on this very board ) when I said you could not rely on anything you find on the internet that isn't otherwise confirmed or tested..... I still believe that.

The propagation of plainly erronious information is not new or exclusive to the internet..............there are a varitety of very well known examples of complete BULL$%!T (BULL$%@T) that have accepted as fact.....so much so that they can make a number of high rating TV shows about it......"Mythbusters" and "Penn & Teller BS" are just two that come to mind.

There will always be those who will try and have a lend of us...... sooner or later someone will shoot them down in flames.
It is a brave ( or stupid) person indeed who values there integrity and posts carp# on an internet forum.

This is my opinion and you cant rely on that;D

cheers

oldboot
11-09-2008, 09:18 PM
I've just noticed.... I'm a gold member..:huh: .. how did that happen...:shocked: .. when did that happen.....:oops: .....does this mean people believe what I say:uhoh: .....

cheers

FNQCairns
11-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I've just noticed.... I'm a gold member..:huh: .. how did that happen...:shocked: .. when did that happen.....:oops: .....does this mean people believe what I say:uhoh: .....

cheers

Cough cough..... no all it means is you are just starting to like the sound of your own voice;D;D

cheers fnq

Cammy
11-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Well i can see where this thread is going:P.

Myself, i only give advice that im confident about and im sure i have it correct, cause its just like being at work, where i work you have to get things right and you cant give wrong advice otherwise you get in shit and may cause deaths:-X . But pople still give wrong advise on the forums and its up to the thread starter and other people gaining infomation to realise what is genuine advice.

As stated above no more of this "great catch mate" "good fish" posts, there just for the post counter, atleast add somthing op the post, like "what kind of line were you using" or "how big did the biggest go" etc, add somthing to the post!.

Member levels dont mean anything! they may be a noob on ausfish but doesnt mean their a noob at fishing!

I have had my rant:)

Cam

therapy
11-09-2008, 09:58 PM
This site has been inundated(or seemingly so because of the frequency of replies) with prepubescent kid's who give detailed and specific advice on various matters. In the couple of years I have been on this site there are alot of people who used to post and answer questions that aren't here anymore. I am a bloke who has fished for 20 plus years from digging my own pippies on the Sandgate foreshore to fish for whiting to fishing for tailor off the Hornibrook bridge for tailor. I am also a bloke more likely to understate his knowledge(despite extensive reading of magazines and an ability to accurately recall details of said articles) in an effort to gain a different perspective or learn about an aspect of fishing I haven't done. Many years ago I was told while training for management positions to take note of the good and bad of the blokes above and put together your own combination of what works for you. Wheat from the chaff!! Some young blokes no doubt have good opinions but it makes me laugh to read some of the detailed replies written here. Thats all I have to say re this thread.........
Terry...............

Franco
11-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Here here! .. and well put.

Member status based on post count shouldn't even exist - I just ignore it, and I suggest if you're looking for advice on this board to do the same - there are other parameters you can look at (such as previous capture reports by authors - no point in taking advice regarding "cobia-on-livies" from someone who posts "whiting-on-bloodworms" reports every week!!)

Maybe a few keyboard-happy members should follow Heath's, Spaniard King's, Frank00's and Webby's (as well as other well known members) examples - fish shitloads, catch heaps of fish, and post quality stuff occasionally, if you got time, between work and fishing sessions!

pommy
11-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Greetings all!

I know what some of you mean about the quality of advice from some contributors. Even so, there are often little nuggets of information or even gems hidden in some of these posts.

As a teacher, I like the way that younger members can post material, gain confidence and learn from adults in a safe, generally no-abusive environment.

Part of the benefit for some members must be to gain in self confidence and the ability to communicate with others who share their interest.

While it can be a little painful at times, the benefits to fishing and the community surely far outweigh the disadvantages.

Regards, Rob.
Ballina.

Jeremy87
11-09-2008, 10:50 PM
When i first joined up i made alot of posts and gave alot of advice and probably spoke alot of crap. Now i've done alot more fishing for alot of different species and used alot of different gear and now make far fewer posts (and probably still talk alot of crap, this is a fishing forum after all). I think I've learnt enough to know how much i don't know. Franco is on the money, have a look at what members have posted in the reports section before you take their advice on other threads.

mik01
11-09-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm getting tired of the moaning and whinging on this site.

no wonder some of the old crew have disappeared.

if only those who post crap responses, or disrespectful replies, thought twice before doing it.

Didley
11-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Well said Pommie

Franco, I agree Member status based on post count shouldn't even exist. I'm a paid up "PREMIUM" member , I don't carry a colour "rank", although It has been accused by Mod 5 and possibly unknowingly by others of posting to increase my post count, because I post frequently, I guess, and I am guilty of saying things like Congratulations, nice fish or what ever.This site is an outlet of sorts 4 me as I work by myself all day, don't see any body. (can be a good thing believe me). What's the problem with just congratulating some one on a good catch, and not asking them what size hook or leader they were using. If some kid or 1 of your mates achieves something, you should be able to say just a couple of words with out contributing to everyone's knowledge surely.
Should u be getting your post count up, ( if that's how U get your jollys) if your just hanging s##t on someone, get rid of it, it's pointless. You soon get to know who's worth listening to.

Cheers Dids

Here here! .. and well put.

Member status based on post count shouldn't even exist - I just ignore it, and I suggest if you're looking for advice on this board to do the same - there are other parameters you can look at (such as previous capture reports by authors - no point in taking advice regarding "cobia-on-livies" from someone who posts "whiting-on-bloodworms" reports every week!!)

Maybe a few keyboard-happy members should follow Heath's, Spaniard King's, Frank00's and Webby's (as well as other well known members) examples - fish shitloads, catch heaps of fish, and post quality stuff occasionally, if you got time, between work and fishing sessions!

bustaonenut
12-09-2008, 05:14 AM
something i like just as much as fishing is talking/reading about it. Not all my friends are as keen on fishing as i am and i often get warned by my wife on the way to a party to talk about things other than fishing. This is why i like this site, its all about fishing, i like to sit back and read all the posts. Some may be true some maybe false but who cares its still good. If you really want one on one specialist advice go to a tackle store or a boat mechanic or read an encyclapedia.

By the way i didnt know your status was counted on how many posts you did. I'd better start posting more often to catch up

TimiBoy
12-09-2008, 06:04 AM
As many of you know I can be a little outspoken...

I like to congratulate a fisho who's had a big day outside. I leave the inshore stuff alone as I know squat about it.

I often have something to say, but I treat this place as a conversation at the pub, although I do not lie or exaggerate the size/quantity of fish I catch! Nor do I think it's right to call people out if I think they're telling a porkie.

I will never resist the opportunity to comment on a Political or Environmental matter, and am more than happy to get in a discussion about them, until I find the other side is a zealot, then I pull my head in...

As so many have pointed out, if you don't like it, don't read it. If everyone had to hold back and make only "quality" remarks, we'd have two major issues;
1 - low post count would make it very boring, little to read/sort through.
2 - people would consider themselves "umpires" even more so, when the perception of a "quality" post is purely subjective.

There you go, my two bits. You knew they were coming!!!;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

breamnut
12-09-2008, 06:52 AM
[quote=Steve B;896114]Quote:
Originally Posted by breamnut http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=653851#post653851)
there pritty good but there is no use settleing for 2nd best so i will stick with....
yep u got it DAIWA!
i would rather stick with a brand that justs makes fishing tackle. not a brand that makes bike parts. hahaaha

Daiwa also make other products, including golf clubshttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

that was a joke steve as i have quie a few shimano reels

Cheech
12-09-2008, 07:52 AM
I think most of you may have missed the point Breamnut was trying to make. I notice those posts, and it annoys me as well. I am not saying don't post your opinion. I don't think Breamnut is either. It is just a request to not offer crap advice if you know it is crap advice. It is all good and fine to say that people can make their own minds up on what they use and what they disregard, but those that are relying on the advice are usually not in a position to recognise what is crap (because they do not know and thus relying on the advice).

I also think that some people after getting their post count up feel that they are more worthy of offering advice the higher their count goes up. Just because someone's count is up doesn't mean they know jack sh!t.

To me, this just appears to be a request for members to try to be a bit more responsible when offering advice as people can and do make purchases and act on that advice. Seems like a pretty reasonable request to me.

mungindi
12-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Morning,
The way I see it if you post a question and people take the time and effort to reply, then it should be accepted for what it is. And that's someone making a genuine attempt to help another person out and be accepted graciously. (it's called manners ) . The person offering assistance may not be giving the best advice, but at least they are willing to try and help. It's then up to the person who asked the question to make their own judgment on the advice given.
Gary

gawby
12-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Cheech has stolem my thunder. I was going to post
in a similar way what he just said.
You might notice i thanked breamnut for his post and i
still stand by that thanks.
I saw what he said a different way to what most of you
have replied.
I am all for open comment but some of it is just sh!t and you
all know it.
For a little bit of quality i watched the video of Willos last
night about him catching snapper down at tweed heads.
A top video with excellent responses to all questions asked
by other ausfishers. An absolute credit to Wello.
As for the member status i think it is a waste of time because
wether you are a new member or a premium as myself who cares
because a new member might know a lot more than me. I
can tell you i don't know a lot about boating or fishing as i have
only realy got into it in the last 5 years. I learn every day.
As has been said some of the members that used to be on here now
that posted quality reports and comments have dissappeared and i
feel myself it is because of what i think Breamnut was trying to
say and was misunderstood by most.
Now you can bag me but i have broad shoulders and tough skin.
Graeme

theoldlegend
12-09-2008, 08:42 AM
I think that the majority of people who offer advice are genuinely trying to offer just that, based on their knowledge.

It's up to the enquirer to be able to sift the wheat from the chaff by reading all the replies and if necessary, asking more questions.

Then again, the opposite is true in some cases, eg: "I have 3 Stella 20 000's , 4 Dogfights, 5 Egrells and 6 Loomis rods. What is the best combo out of these to catch winter whiting?" I get the feeling that these people just want to let everybody know what they's got.

Every site has it's shirtlifters and pillow biters, it's just a matter of knowing who they are.

As Pinhead attested to earlier, he's quite happy to catch bream with a Wilson, a 5" Alvey, mono and mullet gut. Me too. When people start talking about a $500 or $600 combo, then that's just not my scene. To each their own, I suppose.

There's nothing wrong in buying a $500 or $600 combo, far from it. I just couldn't justify it, that's all. It's a personal thing.

TOL

Marlin_Mike
12-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Shirt Lifters????????::) ::) :o :o

Pillow Biters???????::) ::) :o ;)

Whatever do you mean TOL?????????????? ;D :P ;)

oldboot
12-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Here's an interesting test.

Is there more carp spoken here..... or on television fishing programes......Hmmmm

There are a few TV programes that make this board look positivly authoritative.

cheers

bushbeachboy
12-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I disagree with you blokes who say we shouldn't post up stuff like "Good catch" or "well done". If someone posts up pics or story about their day's fishing, why not offer a bit of support or encouragement?

If I was talking to a fellow fisho in the pub, or to my neighbour or a mate who had done well, I would say so to their face.

Why does every post have to be deep and meaningful?

Sometimes I personally enjoy talking sh!t. Just read the crap I posted about the fish hanging off street signs in NQ. It can be a good fun thing to do, and it's a bit different to the working world.

Now has anyone caught any fish lately so I can post up a 'well done' and get my post count up???? So I can sound more authoritative???? Anyone???:P

Just_chips
12-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Breamnut,

I don't think that anybody has purposely mislead others on this forum, they have replied with genuine advice to a question believing that they are helping the original poster. Whether the information they have donated is wrong or right is beside the point, they thought they were doing the right thing. It is not up to you to judge them for it. Ultimately it is up to the individual to decide that for themselves what advice best suits them. I tihnk that a little more tolerance should be shown towards people who belive that they can help others. If the info is wrong then say thanks but no thanks.

Wait till you have kids of your own Breamnut and then see how much bad advice you get bombarded with, pick out the good bits toss the crap, it is all you can do.

Is this bad advice?? Disreguard it if it is, won't bother me in the slightest.

Kev

choppa
12-09-2008, 12:19 PM
i'm i the only one who thinks that this thread is doing what the initial post has requested not to do,,,,??????

99% of the answers are giving advice/opinions,,,,,,,,,

perhaps i can exlude TOL's,,,,,, i agree ""shirtlifters,,,,,,pillow biters""???????

;D ;D ;D ;D

choppa

cbruh1
12-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I disagree with you blokes who say we shouldn't post up stuff like "Good catch" or "well done". If someone posts up pics or story about their day's fishing, why not offer a bit of support or encouragement?

If I was talking to a fellow fisho in the pub, or to my neighbour or a mate who had done well, I would say so to their face.

Why does every post have to be deep and meaningful?

Sometimes I personally enjoy talking sh!t. Just read the crap I posted about the fish hanging off street signs in NQ. It can be a good fun thing to do, and it's a bit different to the working world.

Now has anyone caught any fish lately so I can post up a 'well done' and get my post count up???? So I can sound more authoritative???? Anyone???:P

There is support and encouragement and then there is just pathetic, Unfortunatly with computers you can't read the emotion behind what is being written, it is pathetic when you see "well done" replies to new posts in the fishing report section, by the same person 1min after the next, like some reports take 5 or so minutes to read, so how can they honestly say "well done" when they couldn't have even read what was been written. If they really enjoyed the read, why not just click the thanks button, its quicker and easier then writing "well done"

spears
12-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Ok..its time for a group hug

Didley
12-09-2008, 12:42 PM
i'm i the only one who thinks that this thread is doing what the initial post has requested not to do,,,,??????

99% of the answers are giving advice/opinions,,,,,,,,,

perhaps i can exlude TOL's,,,,,, i agree ""shirtlifters,,,,,,pillow biters""???????

;D ;D ;D ;D

choppa

No Choppa, That's maybe where the problem is, he didn't want people to stop giving advice, he wants those who know they don't know what they are talking about not to give advice. It happens. Seem not unreasonable to me:-/

Dids

Didley
12-09-2008, 12:46 PM
If they really enjoyed the read, why not just click the thanks button, its quicker and easier then writing "well done"

Exactly the same problem, except maybe a touch worse, then you see some one with lots of thanks given to them and U think they must give a lot of people good advice, I'll listen to them!

cbruh1
12-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Exactly the same problem, except maybe a touch worse, then you see some one with lots of thanks given to them and U think they must give a lot of people good advice, I'll listen to them!

Too true, your damned if you do, and your damned if you don't. So it is best if pointless replies and suggestions are kept to themselves and not expressed.

Didley
12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Too true, your damned if you do, and your damned if you don't. So it is best if pointless replies and suggestions are kept to themselves and not expressed.
Yes ,well said.:LMAO:

Andrew_P
12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
i love lamp

the gecko
12-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I can see where breamnut is coming from, its only some posters with no idea abouth the topic thats a problem. However its a chat room/forum, and being realistic, its never gonna change. Only the names and faces change, but the BS will never stop. If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen......

So I was gonna post some of my jack secrets for noobs and virgins, now should I refrain from posting because of fear of criticsm?

I probably post too much already, can you tell Im bored at work, and have a keyboard in front of me? I'll try to post less from now on.....

So you see the effect criticsm has in stiffling good discussion.....

Theres no easy answer to breamnuts problem, just live with it I reckon.

cheers
Andrew

dogsbody
12-09-2008, 03:50 PM
It's no different than if your down the local and get some advice from ya mate. And it turns out to be the wrong advice. That just means you learned a life lesson. No different just because it's on the net.

Just accept your responsibility of taking the advice and learn from it,,then move on.

Dave.

BR65
12-09-2008, 04:57 PM
I'll keep it short and sweet, just 2 things:

1/ The colour below your user name doesnt mean didley squat with regards to how proficient you are in fishing, boating or any other activities discussed on this forum.

2/ Its not rocket science to work out the pretenders from the genuine replys in a thread.

PaulMark
12-09-2008, 05:05 PM

cheers
No I think its because your OLDboot::) mind you most of what you say is worth the reading,(suck,suck).
BK just remember theres a lot of people who will have given you advice and help down the years,Breamnut included.The thing with advice is..its usually free,AND you can choose to ignore it.I think if someone is offering opinions thats plainly wrong its up to us to point it out(without being rude)even if just to get them on the right track.Which brings me to,fishing is like driving you don't need to drive a Ferrari to enjoy it likewise you don't need the latest Daiwa,to ENJOY fishing.
Nuff said Paulo;)

kronfeld7
12-09-2008, 05:23 PM
breamnut

i think most people will take on board what they think is good advice and ignore what they think is bad.

to be honest, im definetely a newbie to saltwater fishing having fly fished all my life in nz. i certainly wouldnt post advice on a post on something i knew nothing about as im sure most people wouldnt.

i read as many forums as i can to learn off other people here about how to fish for different species etc or any advice in regards to fishing or boating.

i can understand where you're coming from as i fly fished for 20 years in nz and came across people who had fished for 5 mins and knew it all. you just smile at those people and ignore their "professional advice" but we all share our own experiences here and i think its great that people want to share theirs.

If you want "professional advice" then go to the professionals at fishing tackle shops.

Regards Rosco

Franco
12-09-2008, 05:26 PM
May I clarify that I fully support constructive, positive replies that congratulate someone on captures etc. and in my mind at least, don't count these as "spam" - I include these in my idea of "quality posts" as they create a good vibe on the site.

"Everything in moderation" is a firm belief I have in all aspects of life including the types of posts we all put up on this site.

So guys'n'gals lets just get on with what we're here to do;
- talk about fishing
- have a laugh along the way
- learn a few things
- and just have a good time with mates

And to be specific to the original post topic - lets all just try to give reasonable advice (within our knowledge base) to any questions by a member and try to help out. Anyone deliberately giving wrong information should think twice if they want to last on the site. And finally, if that member asking the question is given some misinformation by accident, then lets just accept the advice was given in good will and move on.

I think its beer o'clock now ;)

cobiaman
12-09-2008, 06:59 PM
i must say that i am someone who says "great fish" or similar but i dont see why you need to ask a question to make your post worthwhile, and as for someone who posts just to get their count up....BIG DEAL who cares what colour a little fish is below your name

Deadstick
12-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Well Guys

I have to say that it looks like a hung jury.

As a "newbie" to the sight i am going to do the same as everyone before me on this post. Offer my opinon. The thing about an opinion is that it belongs to the person that offers it. The choice we all have is to take it on board or ignore it. For what it is worth in my opinion on this post is, it is dragging out & going no where.:(

I joined this site recently because you could no longer look at photos on posts without being a member. i had always read posts on this site regarding reports & found a lot of good & entertaining information. Unfortunately since i have joined i think the site has been lacking in good articles with substance. There was an article mentioned by willo & the snapper video earlier on this post & this is the sourt of article i joined to read. Also the recent post by Franco making lite of a bad situation.;D

I think the sad truth is that the weather has been so shitty that not enough of us guys are getting out there & having good sessions to be able to come back & post. i have done two pre fish trips for the classic where i have caught fish but not enought to post to make it worth reading about. For this reason i chose not to post to save you all the boredem. I beleive that this is why this post is going on & on because we are all bored & looking for better things to read about.

Here's hopping for better weather & more good reports

fish-n-dive
12-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Well Guys

I have to say that it looks like a hung jury.

As a "newbie" to the sight i am going to do the same as everyone before me on this post. Offer my opinon. The thing about an opinion is that it belongs to the person that offers it. The choice we all have is to take it on board or ignore it. For what it is worth in my opinion on this post is, it is dragging out & going no where.:(

I joined this site recently because you could no longer look at photos on posts without being a member. i had always read posts on this site regarding reports & found a lot of good & entertaining information. Unfortunately since i have joined i think the site has been lacking in good articles with substance. There was an article mentioned by willo & the snapper video earlier on this post & this is the sourt of article i joined to read. Also the recent post by Franco making lite of a bad situation.;D

I think the sad truth is that the weather has been so shitty that not enough of us guys are getting out there & having good sessions to be able to come back & post. i have done two pre fish trips for the classic where i have caught fish but not enought to post to make it worth reading about. For this reason i chose not to post to save you all the boredem. I beleive that this is why this post is going on & on because we are all bored & looking for better things to read about.

Here's hopping for better weather & more good reports

No, actually I think it's well in favour of allowing people to contribute no matter how odd or inaccurate the post may be............

kingtin
12-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Here we go! I've bitten ::)

You may or may not have noticed that I ain't been posting of late, but here goes................

First up, if that rating system held as much importance (to the rated) as some of you think it does, why then have many of those with high ratings opted to become a premium member? Seems to me that giving a little back to Ausfish holds more importance to them than being rated does.......or am I missing something? perhaps it's because I don't read between the lines and then I can't read what isn't there IYKWIM? ;D

Secondly........this ratings crap always seems to be raised when the question of good/bad advice is raised. I've no bloody idea why 'cause I've never once heard it said (typed), that someone with a high rating thinks that their advice is more worthy than someone with a lesser rating, so I am at a loss as to why this always raises it's ugly head? :-/ I had a high rating but I rarely gave advice 'cause I know my limitations............the high rating was simply because I talk too much ::)

To the issue...............I think it's all been said.............it's down to the reader to sort the wheat from the chaff, but I think one simple point has been overlooked.

How can anyone criticise or condemn a person for offering advice or opinions when one is not conversant with that person as an individual. If you don't know them personally, and can't therefore judge whether they're a braggart, self-opionated fart, or simply a dumb dill, then perhaps it should cross your mind that this/these person/s who breamnut alludes to, may simply be offering advice that they (the giver), genuinely believe to be correct. Would it not behove the questioner of that advice to help out the person who is misguided in his advice? Would it not be more appropriate, (at the time of that advice), to politely question it and therefore not only aid those seeking advice but also the one who is misguided in his giving of wrong advice? Or is it that you think that the advice of which this thread is questioning is given to deliberately misguide?

There has, in the past, been deliberate misleading posts with regards to locations, but this is not the issue here. The original poster is speaking more with regards to tackle. Unfortunately, opinions with regards to tackle vary so I think the onus must be on the reader to sort the wheat from the chaff and it is also on those who may disagree on a particular opinion to put in their 2 cents worth as opposed to whingeing about it when it is too late. If you say nothing at the time, and whinge later, then you must ask yourself whether you are not complicit in misguiding others, if you do not speak out at the time. If you don't want to speak out, fair enough, but don't whinge about it later.............please ;D

Oh! and I don't give advice anymore, anyways, as it seems nobody wants to catch vermin ;D

breamnut.................put your 2cents worth in at an appropriate time and not after some poor bugger has gone out and spent mega bucks on gear and found it to be unsuitable..............Oh!............and if you had your way, he'd probably spend even more ;D

herendeth the lesson

The Verminator.

loophole
12-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Ok just read all the previous posts.

Really The "one-word" posts dont really bother me at all, I read it as "Great Catch
Or watever and just move on to reading the next reply :P Simple.

Having been a member for over a year now U get to know The People on here in real life and by there ausfish activities. So i can see who the people are that like to post heaps, Who the ones are that offer good advice and are very intelligent/helpfull , and The ppl that are everything and can also catch S#*T loads of fish ;D .

But i dont claim to know everything but it is part of my job to help customers with all there fishing needs so I try to offer the best advice. Even if its recomending my fave soft plastic for flatty fishing. If it comes to reels rods etc I tell them what i do know about brands,components, quality, etc.

Anyway There is no rite wrong answer. After all guys its fishing. :P

Reece.8-)

the gecko
13-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Couldnt resist the bait eh kingtin? We have noticed the absence of your gems of wisdom, welcome back. We were worried about your health? How are you now?

BTW boys, the two word 'great fish' encouragements are usually from guys who know each other very well, target the same fish in the same area, and talk a lot by pm. I dont see why that should change. Its just a nod of acknowledgement from one good fisho to another. You see it a lot with the noosa boys cos they all know each other so well, or with jack fishos. Youd be surprised how much goes on by pm.... Any encouragement is a good thing. its not an attempt to get a post count up. Post counts mean nothing more than your a post whore like me, with too much time and big opinions. Thanks counts are where its at, it means your a good contributor to the site, and others found your info worthwhile. Without contributors, this site would be dead.

cheers
Andrew

Didley
13-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Couldnt resist the bait eh kingtin? We have noticed the absence of your gems of wisdom, welcome back. We were worried about your health? How are you now?

BTW boys, the two word 'great fish' encouragements are usually from guys who know each other very well, target the same fish in the same area, and talk a lot by pm. I dont see why that should change. Its just a nod of acknowledgement from one good fisho to another. You see it a lot with the noosa boys cos they all know each other so well, or with jack fishos. Youd be surprised how much goes on by pm.... Any encouragement is a good thing. its not an attempt to get a post count up. Post counts mean nothing more than your a post whore like me, with too much time and big opinions. Thanks counts are where its at, it means your a good contributor to the site, and others found your info worthwhile. Without contributors, this site would be dead.

cheers
Andrew

Very well said Gecko, my thoughts exactly, just I couldn't put it so eloquently! Andrew's Jack tips post is the perfect example, ausfishers appreciate the effort and want to give a little acknowledgement of the effort, Great Stuff, Good work, Many thanks ect ect. When a mate at the pub, pulls out a photo of a nice fish he caught, do U just stare blankly back, not wishing to speak unnessasarily or do U sy something like "Nice fish"??????????

BARRAkid
13-09-2008, 11:27 AM
I have no problem with "great catch" replys out of all that has been said the only posts that i have problems with is when beginers to this great sport ask for help and get answers that are no help to the beginer and will end up with them buying garbage or having them wasting there time with techniques that don't work.
The good thing is i hardly ever see anything like that happining :-/

cheers BK

Horse
13-09-2008, 11:52 AM
I think any truly bad advice will get shot down in flames pretty quickly ;D >:( :-X

PinHead
13-09-2008, 12:33 PM

cheers
Andrew

well damn..I must be a lousy contributor..never hit the thanks button yet..same as I have never used a smilie. Sites like this are beneficial from what you get out of the site..not what you put into it.

Didley
13-09-2008, 12:51 PM
well damn..I must be a lousy contributor..never hit the thanks button yet..same as I have never used a smilie. Sites like this are beneficial from what you get out of the site..not what you put into it.

Someone has to put in 4 others to take out PH, and 241 times thanked I know you've done some putting in.

theoldlegend
13-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I guess I've never had a problem with people simply saying "Great fish" or "great catch" or whatever, because I agree with them. After all, if you weren't happy with what you'd caught, then you probably wouldn't put up a pic, would you? It's probably peoples' way of showing appreciation for a good catch.

Me? Well, I don't generally don't say things like that because I'm too lazy to do so, but I still appreciate a good catch of fish and like seeing pics of them.

As for the alleged "post whores", well I'm not too worried about them either, because at the end of the day when the roosters have come home to hassle the hens, it's more to do with a person's knowledge and ability of fishing that counts.

I'd like to think that I've gained a wealth of knowledge over time, not that much of it has sunk in.

TOL

kingtin
13-09-2008, 03:15 PM

cheers
Andrew

Yeah, I must be hungry Andrew, took the bait hook, line and sinker ::)

Thanks for asking after me. I'm coming good now................dropping like a bag of bricks, chest first onto a kopper log rail, doesn't do the ribs any good, particularly when it's not long since the heart surgeon wired 'em together ::) You can break a finger and they'll truss you up like a mummy but break a couple of ribs and they'll simply send you home saying, "Nothing to be done, it'll come good in 6 weeks"..............10 weeks later, and I'm still crappin' meself in case I sneeze ;D

kev

gunna
13-09-2008, 06:11 PM

kev

Great catch.

disorderly
13-09-2008, 06:53 PM
well damn..I must be a lousy contributor..never hit the thanks button yet..

You are a hard headed bugga, arent you Greg...:)

I am constantly learning things that I previously didn't know on this site and have no qualms about saying thanks to someone for providing some useful info and encouraging them to share more...I find it a great resource,really,as well as a bit of a laugh at times and a bit of semi-social interaction...:)

As for the original thread/post...ausfish has a membership base that includes..., mostly guys..., from kids to the infirm and some ladies as well....the more the merrier I think...and many will be beginners/novices ,so why criticize people for wanting to make an input in a positive manner...

Man...I'd much prefer to read .."great catch" or "nice fish" or "well done".....

then...

"that fish looks undersize"...or..."Why didn't you release it".....

So I really don't understand the drama at all.....except for those trolls who make negative shit-stirring comments ....if someone wants to make a comment on a public fishing forum.......who's to say they cant ????.

Scott

oldboot
13-09-2008, 10:19 PM

Thanks for asking after me. I'm coming good now................dropping like a bag of bricks, chest first onto a kopper log rail, doesn't do the ribs any good, particularly when it's not long since the heart surgeon wired 'em together ::) You can break a finger and they'll truss you up like a mummy but break a couple of ribs and they'll simply send you home saying, "Nothing to be done, it'll come good in 6 weeks"..............10 weeks later, and I'm still crappin' meself in case I sneeze ;D

kev

for kev's benifit no one post anything funny for the next 60 days;D ;D

cheers

kingtin
13-09-2008, 10:56 PM
for kev's benifit no one post anything funny for the next 60 days;D ;D

cheers

LOL ;D Won't make much difference................the deckie even puts pepper on my cornflakes ;D

kev

snapperbasher
14-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Ok so where is the line between being "experienced" enough to give advice and not is it the post count dont think so , is it age dont think so, is it the number of succesful fishing trips nah not for me every little bit of information helps whether right or wrong take onboard everything and use what works for you. Fishing changes everyday. I use every method of fishing depending on circumstances I have all the new high tech gear but still catch as many bay snapper on the old 5" alvey and snyder glass bream rod but alot of people will tell you that wont work::) . Each to there own. but as for saying people are to inexperienced to reply to a post what a load of shit. Am i giving the wrong advice if I recommend a 5" alvey and a snyder glass bream rod for catching bay snaps because it is not a top of the range daiwa reel and g.loomis rod not likely:-/ Lighten up everyone and take onboard some other ideas you may learn something other than the popular trends. OLD SCHOOL STILL WORKS.;)

Regards,
Lochie

jeffo
14-09-2008, 06:28 AM
..and i wonder why i dont bother reading 99% of threads in General Chat now days. This one would have to be one of the worst! Filter through what you regard as useless posts as thousands of others do daily.

Poodroo
14-09-2008, 09:03 AM
im probs gunna cop a fair bit of crap for this but ive spoken to quite a few other ausfishers and they have agreed with me.
something that bugs me is when somebody puts a post up on barra fishing for intance you always get people replying to that post ''trying to give advice'' whilst they have had no or next to no experiance at all in fishing for them, giving advice on something you know hardly anything about isnt right as you often put people way of track.
this doesnt just happen for barra but for jack,snapper, bream ect
i really dont want to say any names as its not necessary. please unlesx you have done a fair amount of specilist fishing dont pretend you know because people go out and buy the wrong gear for that situation

Being a public chat forum it is important that everyone says their piece. It enables the readers to sit back and take it all onboard and hence determine who is giving the right advice and who isn't. It is also up to each individual as to what advice they listen to. We need the ideas to come through from everyone in order to differentiate good and bad advice. It leaves the forum open to healthy debate as well. The proof is in the pudding to coin a phrase and for the readers it is easy to find the Ausfishers who know how to catch the fish simply by reading their reports (preferably complete with photographic evidence). ::)
Bottom line is we all enjoy wetting a line, some of us do well and some of us don't but we all love to chat about it so shouldn't get slammed for doing so.

Cheers,

Poodroo

TheRealAndy
14-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey Breamnut, the other day I posted a question asking abou the tweed. I got one response from Kev, which was really usefull. Then I got a response from you:

"looks like kev has u coverd"

So hows about you shut your trap and follow your own advice.

John West
14-09-2008, 06:14 PM
A little bit off the topic but in the same catagory about replying to posts, Pisses me off no end when I see a reply in a post that hold no substance, Like: "Good work. Nice catch. Great effort" Fair enough they are nice replies, but when people do it for every single post, is just annoying. With the levels of AUSFISH newbie, bronze, silver, gold, platnum, addict I like to think the people gold and above are people who know a fair bit about fishing, and I look up to these people for advice and think they may know a thing or two. But when its someone who has replied 1500 times with "good fish mate". Its just stupid, and I am sure they think they are top snot aswell.

Hey great post ;)

Steven78
14-09-2008, 07:28 PM
I am not that good at putting post together Spelling and Gramma I am not gifted in that area. I find it very hard to put a post togeather to have it shot down I have been lucky as this has not happend to me but it has happend to friends and members that i know and care about. The older members seem not to post so much as a few of them have moved on. I love my fishing. I know many people on this site personaly and i have made many friends it has a real club feel to it. To have people like Webby Nugget and Stephen and many others behind the sences helping is great. People seem to get more enjoyment out of baiting people instead of hooks.

fish-n-dive
14-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Does anyone else feel that this thread is now chasing it's tail..... around & around & around.....

Dirtysanchez
19-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Yes it is going around and around like a back eddie.
In general I don't have a problem with most postings in the main, However I get annoyed when you are reading a post and someone starts a personal attack on someone, and another "mate" comes in an backs him up with further attacks. There was one recently in Saltwater / beach / river reports and it was just crap to read / endure.

Spelling and general speak. OK we are not all oxford scholars, me included, but please do your best, and don't speak in SMS, its painful and offputting, and prefixing every response with Hahahahahah or similar is just wanky

Live and let live, if you don't agree or like the advice given by someone, ignore it, don't go on the attack whether you are the post originator or a responder, just let it go.. If someone sticks their finger up at you at the lights do you call all your mates to encircle the car and hurl abuse ? no, you just let it go.

Pistol_P
19-09-2008, 09:24 AM
..and i wonder why i dont bother reading 99% of threads in General Chat now days. This one would have to be one of the worst! Filter through what you regard as useless posts as thousands of others do daily.

Your not wrong Jeffo...::)

Pete

oldboot
19-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Ya know what reeeeeealy irritates me.>:(
Is people who reply by hitting the quote button on large posts.
Then they only have a short reply, and usulay to something that didn't require a quote in the first place...... then they leave the whole thing there pictures included.:huh2:

so he we go scrolling thru the thread and this big bunch of quoted stuff that i have already seen appears 2 posts later.:sleeping:

The worst cases is the huge quote and nothing more than and I agree with that post:stupid: ........:wut:

Please please please... if you are going to use the quote button please deleat the sections of the quote that do not directly apply to your reply.../ and definitely deleat the pictures...... we've already seen those.

I would go further and say that iff the software has the capacity to do so..... disable pictures in quotes..... please

cheers

Chong
19-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Ya know what reeeeeealy irritates me.>:(
Is people who reply by hitting the quote button on large posts.
Then they only have a short reply, and usulay to something that didn't require a quote in the first place...... then they leave the whole thing there pictures included.:huh2:

so he we go scrolling thru the thread and this big bunch of quoted stuff that i have already seen appears 2 posts later.:sleeping:

The worst cases is the huge quote and nothing more than and I agree with that post:stupid: ........:wut:

Please please please... if you are going to use the quote button please deleat the sections of the quote that do not directly apply to your reply.../ and definitely deleat the pictures...... we've already seen those.

I would go further and say that iff the software has the capacity to do so..... disable pictures in quotes..... please

cheers

OK

sorry couldnt help it;D ;D

Franco
19-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Absolutely F__ing hilarious Chong!
Thanks for making my morning just magic, pissing myself laughing!

But Old Boot you're absolutely right you have a good point.

Now fellas ... how bout we all just leave this thread finished and go have that beer I was talking about ......

Dirtysanchez
19-09-2008, 11:49 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr :D

slyman
19-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Now fellas ... how bout we all just leave this thread finished and go have that beer I was talking about ......

Sounds good Franco! Your shout mate, I'll have a coopers thanks ;D

oldboot
19-09-2008, 12:38 PM
:furious2: Chong....:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: ....I was expecting that;D :beer:.

cheers

Dirtysanchez
19-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Oh, and one last thing
If you don't like the post, don't respond to it and it will soon slip to the bottom of the page and be relocated to the never never.. something I probably should take note of myself ? :-/

oldboot
19-09-2008, 06:31 PM
yarr for sure, if ye give a tread a wide berth, she'll soo be down to davy jones locker.

That is, untill some scurvey dog calls it up from the deep, an the thread coms back like a ghost ship filled with the dead men walking.........arrrrrr.... shiver be timbers

arrr

Jimbo73
19-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Everybody, what Breamnut is trying to say is dont listen to anybody elses opinion except for his.Because he knows everything that has anything to do with fishing.What a pathethic thread Breamnut.I hereby take all your thankyous off you for such a crap thread and being such a knob.Everyone has a right to give advice whether its good or bad.Whos to say any advice you give is worth taking in.If you think someone is given false info say it to their face or dont say anything at all.What youve started here has just brought out some of your previous posts that seem to make you look like a bit of a hypocrite if you ask me.Cheers Jamie.Now wheres my beer.

spears
19-09-2008, 10:29 PM
JAMIE H
what Breamnut is trying to say is................................................ .................. for his

with respect
Breamnut is a female...

Cammy
19-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Is this thread eva going to end, It was almost gone!

Cam

Jimbo73
20-09-2008, 09:56 PM
JAMIE H
what Breamnut is trying to say is................................................ .................. for his

with respect
Breamnut is a female...Now that explains alot Spears.;D

spears
20-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Writing this
with respect
Breamnut is a female...

Not putting breamnut down only clarifying the sex that’s all

Give her a break she's only 18

oldboot
20-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Oh the secrets out now.........poor breamnut..... her inbox will be full of marage porposals by now;D

cheers

reel scream
20-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Everybody, what Breamnut is trying to say is dont listen to anybody elses opinion except for his.Because he knows everything that has anything to do with fishing.What a pathethic thread Breamnut.I hereby take all your thankyous off you for such a crap thread and being such a knob.Everyone has a right to give advice whether its good or bad.Whos to say any advice you give is worth taking in.If you think someone is given false info say it to their face or dont say anything at all.What youve started here has just brought out some of your previous posts that seem to make you look like a bit of a hypocrite if you ask me.Cheers Jamie.Now wheres my beer.

Well laugh ot f'n loud. Advice is advice !!!!! It's not the gospel??? Fish are smarter than that. What a scratchy little pussy (small cat) fight.

I'm pissed with old mate who offers a good thing( couple of marks) (offshore) . then places you near the moon. Why bother.

Advice from other fisho's be it good/bad is usually well intended and thats why we can use it or disregard i think.\

Met some good mates thruogh Arg/disc.

Cheers Scott

gkmnh1
21-09-2008, 07:30 PM
and i thought you was an authority on everything bar dog biscuits breamnut...hehehehe

mod5
21-09-2008, 07:35 PM
There is only one thing to do with a thread like this.

http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/math/schools/wscn/Closed.gif