PDA

View Full Version : Inspecting a boat 1000+kms away - best way ???

fish-n-dive
11-09-2008, 12:29 PM
In my quest to nail a bigger boat now that I live in Townsville and always being open to opportunities, I have come across something I'm interested in but it lives down Brissy way......... bugger!

I'm just wondering how I go about arranging an independent inspection from someone who knows what they are on about who is down that way?

Ideas?.... Suggestions, most welcome

Michael

chewy01
11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Mate imm sure some ausfisher will at least have a look to at least give you an idea if its worth going further with

Noelm
11-09-2008, 12:50 PM
positive some one here would not only have a look, and let you know whether to go further, and someone will will know someone who can give you a full on inspection and report without ever leaving your house, then worry about trips and stuff.

Spectre
11-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Michael... if boat is on Northside of Brisy u could try:-

Mobile Marine Servicing on 0417 027 086 or 5429 8825 as they not only do servicing but also Pre-purchase inspections.

They may be able to recommend someone if boat is on southside.

Cheers
Phil

troy
11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Try Spaniard King i have used him and found him excellent and he is down there and he is a Ausfish Member.
Troy

boatboy50
11-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Michael,

Tell us exactly where the boat is and what it is.

There is mobile mechanics everywhere who will do this for you, and give you a written report. They charge between $100 to $200 generally. I know a few on the Gold Coast who will do it for you down here if Garry is too busy.

I am about to take delivery of a boat I bought from Melbourne based on the mechanics report and email pics. I know I will not be dissappointed.

Regards

Darren

gawby
11-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Mate you could also try Grand Marlin.
Maybe he could help you.
Graeme

Goldfinch
14-09-2008, 04:49 PM
I agree with the guys above. Pay for a proper inspection and if you can jump on a cheap flight to Brisbane and take it for a sea trial with the inspector. This is the only way to be sure. Then knock the seller down in price to factor in the extra costs. The inspector will always find a few things wrong so you will have some leverage to bargain with. I live in Brissy and bought my boat from Newcastle. Flew down, sea trialled and inspected, knocked $6k off the price, then flew back to Bris, grabbed the car and went and got it. Trailer brakes didn't work the whole way home but hey....nothing's ever 100%. The seller paid for the repairs.

freddofrog
15-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Speaking as someone who has bought a boat from the other side of Australia (WA vs NSW), definitely go check it out yourself. You will be able to touch it, feel it, see if it is actually right for you. Talk to the owner etc etc. Get it professionally surveyed if that helps but they wont tell you if the seat is too hard/soft/high/low/far from wheel, sounder is at the wrong angle, deck wash is hard to access, batteries even harder, rocket launcher too high and too angled back etc etc. Not necessarily deal breakers but at least you know before hand. And if you can’t afford the grand to check it out, that’s only the start of it…but I’m sure you know that already….

Chine
15-09-2008, 01:15 PM
IMHO, I am inclined to agree with F/Frog on this one.

I recently sold my unit to a guy 1000+kms away. He flew down from Brisbane and we spent a full day going over the boat, through the manuals/paperwork, checking against inventory and then spent three hours on the water both in still and rough waters. It allowed us to go over the electronics, batteries, launching/ retrieval, etc and the end of the day he appeared to have no concerns and was sold on the deal.

Prior to him flying down, I offered to refund his airfares if he bought the boat. The compromise worked well.

This is a personal thing for me and I would be very uncomfortable buying sight unseen. I also believe that face to face with a vendor provides a good indication of his understanding and previous handling/maintenance capabilities with the vessel. It also allows you to look over your shoulder and see the state of his other possessions.

$260 in return airfares..................

goldfish
15-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I think where fish n dive might be coming from is someone real cheap/free to give it the once over to see if its worth going the next dtep is fly down or pre purchess inspections. I have bought a few boats & sellers can over estemate things sometimes. i rember looking at a 30ft boat down the bay to only find when i got there it was only 23ft the guy said sorry but he thought it was something i would like. didn't help with fuel or time but hey. after all when you shell out $500+ for an pre purchess inspection only to find the abvious can get a bit exxie after a few.
But then again I could be way of the mark.
cheers
rick.

fish-n-dive
15-09-2008, 04:08 PM
I think where fish n dive might be coming from is someone real cheap/free to give it the once over to see if its worth going the next dtep is fly down or pre purchess inspections. I have bought a few boats & sellers can over estemate things sometimes. i rember looking at a 30ft boat down the bay to only find when i got there it was only 23ft the guy said sorry but he thought it was something i would like. didn't help with fuel or time but hey. after all when you shell out $500+ for an pre purchess inspection only to find the abvious can get a bit exxie after a few.
But then again I could be way of the mark.
cheers
rick.

Spot on goldfish!!! ;)

freddofrog
15-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Fair enough. If you are still in that “what to buy” phase as opposed to “I know what I want, I now just have to find one” phase then spending money on airfares just to check it out is probably not that worth it. I was in the later and knew I wanted a 5.2KC. I had a lot of corro with the seller before going over. Well before going over I had complete equipment lists, all the photos, done registration/ownership checks, checks on the year of the motors, checked out the same model boat both in person locally and surfing the net, read all the reviews, looked at alternatives etc etc. So I already knew that was what I wanted. I went over really as a formality and to make sure it all was as the corro said it was.

Dean1
15-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I was after a 5.2 kc as well and when mine popped up on the net down at melbourne (im brisbane based) I flew down there 2 days later to check it out and put a deposit on it. If its what your after dont hesitate coz it might just snabbled up, and if I was a day late ol termi on here would have been the new owner hey termi ;)

fish-n-dive
15-09-2008, 06:18 PM
But, unless you have won lotto, a trip can only be on the cards if the boat is a real potential winner.........and how can you tell that from pics/ads etc???

There are heaps of boats for sale and I'm not so desperate as to have the first one which may suit only to spend up on airfares/taxis/food/etc and have my hopes dashed because it was a lemon being sold by a shyster!!!

Dean1
15-09-2008, 06:24 PM
But, unless you have won lotto, a trip can only be on the cards if the boat is a real potential winner.........and how can you tell that from pics/ads etc???

There are heaps of boats for sale and I'm not so desperate as to have the first one which may suit only to spend up on airfares/taxis/food/etc and have my hopes dashed because it was a lemon being sold by a shyster!!! Thats fair enough mate, depends what sorta boat your'e talking about here, the 5.2 I mentioned is as rare as rocking horse shit so I guess its a different story. But just remember 'He Who Hesitates Has Lost!' 8-)