PDA

View Full Version : My new (2nd hand) platey - an empty canvas

Mozza
10-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi all,

Thought I'd post a few pics of my latest acquisition - a custom-built plate aluminium tinny built by Peter Borger in Ingham. It was originally built as a crabbing boat I think.

Specs
Length: 4.3m
Beam: 1.8m
Bottom: 4mm plate
Sides: 3mm
Deck: 3mm sealed deck

The deck is self-draining, the ride is fantastic and she's as stable as at rest.

But, as you can see, I have an empty canvas in terms of a fitout. I have added a 4-rod rod holder up the front for travel and a couple of adjustables on one side.

I'm not keen to mess too much with the deck because it is sealed and with the ability move stuff as required seems a better idea than welding in say a pedestal seat for a passenger. I have a 110l Downunder esky that may suffice for forward seating. Also if I keep it clear, there's plenty of room to bunk down for the night!!

Looking for comments/suggestions/lessons learnt.

Thanks for looking.

Mozza

Kendall249
10-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Nice boat there mozza, defintely heavy duty and extremely practical.

What does it have on the back and how does it perform?

It looks like there is nothing on the deck, if so, maybe some marine carpet would be good as that deck could get pretty hot. It also good with the self draining deck, safer, easy to clean and have the ability to throw water on the deck to cool it down. I also agree with not fixing anything to the deck, it at least still gives some flexibility as well.

Hope she goes well for you.

Kendall

ronnien
10-09-2008, 10:12 PM
not bad mozza.

like kendall has said very strong looking!
did you get the first fish in her?

ron.

Curmudgeon
11-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Don't poke the bear, Ron. ;)

Mozza
11-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Kendall,

2000 40hp Merc, 3 pot - gets up nicely with a 21kt top speed. Not spectacular but doesn't get stuck in the hole - that's the main thing. Marine carpet definitely on the shopping list - I'm just a bit concerned about washability so will need to check out the options.

Yep, she's strong alright - there's a ding on the other side where the previous owner ran into a snag at speed. In a pressed ally that'd have ripped like the Titanic!

Ron, let me see... that's be a big fat NO. Brian, your tenure as my deckie is now dependent on me bagging the next 6 fish!!!!!!!!

Mozza

Gagga08
11-09-2008, 11:54 AM
How much does she weigh Mozza. I've got a similiar sized boat, however i'm guessing it weights half as much! Mush chew through the fuel.

Scott nthQld
11-09-2008, 12:17 PM
For seating and extra space (not that you're short of that in this boat) have you considered removing the rear bench? Are you able to remove it wothout affecting the integrity of the hull? And for seating, what about putting a few sealed sockets down in the floor, in various locations so you can get a pedestal to slot into the sockets, allowing you to take them in/out as needed and move them around the boat where they'll be secure? That way, if you put say 4 sockets in and have 3 seats, if you take your boys out, they'll have a comfy seat each and if there's only you you can remove 2 seats and just have yours. It will probably be a big job with the sealed deck though.

Another thing to consider (if it isn't too much of a hassle) is to run an underfloor fuel tank, it would free up mor deck space and might allow you (depending on the size) to increase your range.

Looks like a tough little boat, and I bet you're aching to pull something fishy over the side.

Mozza
11-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Gagga,

You hit the nail on the head. That was my main concern with this boat but, on a recent trip across the bay I was impressed by how much was left in the tank. Won't know for sure until I test it against the distance I could normally cover in the old one. Down the track a 4stroke is the go I think...

Scott, yep, maybe down the track, a few slots might do. Could put another seat on the back bench. Brian and I were gass-bagging about putting a pod on the back - that'd be overdoing it a bit...

Thanks for the comments guys.

Mozza

Flex
12-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Might be worth taking it to a welder and fitting 3-4 fully sealed pedestal seat holes in the floor and remove that rear seat? but if you fish by yourself or just a mate then a padded esky is fine.

As to marine carpet, I tore all mine out of my boat. The stuff stinks, is hard to clean,gets hot as hell and lures,hooks,fishing line sticks to it like a bastard!. And anyone who doesn't end up with stinky marine carpet hasn't caught a fish yet..lol

I'd either get some light coloured crossweaved rubber/poly matting that you can remove when you washdown your boat. clark rubber etc has it, and some boat yards sell it.

Or why not simply paint the inside and nice light colour in a matt finish? wont get any hotter than carpet and if you use the correct paint alot easier to clean and maintanance free almost.

Fishbait
12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Nice and Strong - maybe get a bait board for the back and some lights fitted.;) All the best. Darren

bushbeachboy
12-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Looks like a long-termer Mozza. It will be worth the effort to customise her just as you please.

What's the ride like? Have you had it out in a bit of a sea yet?

If you change the motor, what's the max HP you can fit?

Have you been in contact with the boat builder? He might be able to help with ideas for mods, or alternatively do the work. If you have a bit of a ding in it, he could also check it out and possibly repair it. Would be well worth the call.

As for carpet etc, it's a hard call. Normal marine carpet is ok, but will get hot. Maybe you could get some in a light colour. That would make a difference to the heat. In my little yellow poly, when the carpet gets too hot to stand on, I move to a yellow area and it's a lot cooler. I could wear shoes or thongs but usually forget em.::)

Cheers
BBB

Mozza
17-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Once again, thanks for the replies guys.

I've had her out now a few times in some sloppy seas and she handles much, MUCH better than the much lighter tinny I had. I was leaning torward matting but, it'd have to be stable as everything has a tendency to shift around during a bumpy ride and the deckie's having a ball riding the esky at the moment because the ally deck gets slippery as when it gets wet!!

Fishbait, good idea - only trouble is it is still a tinny so fishing space at the back is limited which means I'd be doing all of the slicing, dicing and burleying so may a side one on a swivel so you swing it into position for fishing. Anyone come across one like that?

BBB, yep gonna contact the builder - in fact the previous recommended him to me as well so it'll be worth the while I think to do that.

Cheers
Mozza

Mozza
17-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Another update,

Popped into Clarkies today and opted for the light blue marine carpet with the rubber backing. With the backing I can velcro it on the deck up the front and sides to prevent movement and still be able to remove and clean it. I'll leave a space at the back where I can bleed fish etc directly onto the aluminium.

Mozza

shano
17-09-2008, 08:01 PM
have you got a pic of the rear of the boat where it drains?

Mozza
18-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Shano,

No, but you can just see the recess on the left side of the photo: the builder has recessed a rectangular area, about 150x75mm immediately in front of each plug which are located on both sides of the hull. The plugs are large and empty litres of water in a matter of seconds.

I'd be nice to have a larger recessed area for all that blood to go but 95% of the incidental water lands up at the back of the boat anyway.

Cheers
Mozza