PDA

View Full Version : Blessed Bee

BrewGuru
10-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Sounds like another boating tradgedy with the Blessed Bee, talking to some old salts today, who have some theories.

1. They are anchored up safely in some port and totally oblivious to what is happening around them. (unlikely, due to the publicity).

2. They have been run over by a commercial ship, the theory that may back that up, if they had hit a submerged object, container etc and they had water ingress from the damage, you would have enough time to use an epirb, don a life jacket, launch a lifeboat, assuming that planning a trip from Noumea to OZ that a lifeboat would have be fitted to the vessel but none of those alerts have been reported.

It is a tragedy that so many lives at sea are lost, according to stats, 25,000 people per year are lost at sea world wide.

Electronics that are availble today especially with coastal passages or blue water passages the lossess should be minimised for very little cost.

A Vpirb thats works off the VHF system I think should be mandatory for vessels doing overnight trips, it is attached to the watchkeeper at night, strapped to his arm, if he goes overboard an alarm goes off inside the vessel, as soon as he hits the water regardless if he is unconcious or not then a DSC message goes to any VHF within range, coastal or another ship on channel 70 indicating his GPS position, they are fitted with a strobe light and then send a voice message on channel 16 indicatiing MOB and their location.

If one guy from Kaz II had one of those it possibly could have saved all their lives.
It should be mandatory with trawlers with the watchkeepers, it also may have helped that guy at Mooloolaba on the trawler.

They Cost about $800.00 dollars, I don't know the web site , just google Vpirb, I think Mobilert put them out.

Another great device is the AIS class B (Australian Identification System) again about $1000 brand new on the market for recreational boaties, commercial ships have had them for years. It is a transponder that advise ships on a chart plotter. who you are, wher you are, what course you are on and if you are gunna bump into each other, it also sends the same information about your vessel to them. They compliment your radar system because they can see around corners and over mountains.

I am not talking that these things should be mandatory for recreational fisherman, but yachts or motor cruisers going a few NM should have them.

CB77
11-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I still reckon there could be a lot more to these mysterious disapearances?

With all the technology on board today a lot of weird stuff still happens, although the technology is only as good as the guys using it.

That Kaz II incident was a bit too freaky for my liking? Ripped sail, computer running in the cabin, food on the table, 3 guys missing & the fenders where out??

Mindi
11-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I still reckon there could be a lot more to these mysterious disapearances?

With all the technology on board today a lot of weird stuff still happens, although the technology is only as good as the guys using it.

That Kaz II incident was a bit too freaky for my liking? Ripped sail, computer running in the cabin, food on the table, 3 guys missing & the fenders where out??

Well I dont think we have a "Whitsunday Triangle" or alien abductions.. more likely on Kaz someone fell overboard and others fell in trying to recover him...as the inquest speculated...?? ..who knows..? but there are lots of possibilities that dont involve foul play or mysterious forces...just bad luck combined with inexperience is the more likely explanation.

bobbyb
11-09-2008, 02:29 PM
cuss the moon .

them pirates still out there matie..........

GBC
11-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Three lives lost trying to untangle a fishing line - who here hasn't done that ?(Kaz II)?

Pray for a satisfactory outcome for the crew of the blessed bee.

TheRealAndy
11-09-2008, 03:30 PM
How about a lack of common sense and disrespect for the ocean?

mik01
12-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Hi Brew,

I reckon you have a point. those 'vpirb' things sound like a real sensible option, however I doubt you would survive in the water until help arrived (unless you had a vest on).