PDA

View Full Version : 5.2 kevlacat scupper flap

termi
09-09-2008, 11:09 PM
For all you 5.2 kevlacat owners that are sick of sharing the deck of your boat with water here are some photos of how i water proofed the scupper flap on my kevlacat. Just need some soft foam rubber, 2 clamcleats, 6mm bungee chord, 10mm packers for flap hinges, silicone and 30mins of your time and it's 100% water proof. If you got the 25mm holes in the transome corners just fit some tapered rubber plugs. If you need to open the flap in a hurry you just release the bungee chord.

freddofrog
10-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Now I know what you are talking about. Might give it a go this weekend I think
cheers

cormorant
10-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Looks good

If you do get swamped the last thing you will have time to do is go and release bungy for the scupper.

Surprisingly there isn't as much water pressure as you might expect to open it so I hope it can be lightly tensioned and still seal but let go when water needs to get out.

Other option is to only have it cleated off at rest but it is hard to remember to release.

Maybe a softer watertight seal and a weight on a 4 inch perpindicular post from the outside to apply pressure rather than the bungy from the inside.

It doesn't take a lot of weight to drown a powerhead or get movement to cause a capsize so it needs to get out fast.

Just an idea

termi
10-09-2008, 05:29 PM
I guess if your doing bar crossings you would leave the scupper open and close it while fishing.