PDA

View Full Version : Power winch use

imported_QCR
09-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Can anyone advise on the correct use of a power winch, it is an older model 815c which is the equivilent to the 712. I have inherited it with a boat and it has no manual. I would guess the wheel on the side would be right off to get it to free wheel to manually pull the cable out but as to winding it in where should the wheel be set. I was told that the cluch could burn out if using it in the wrong manner.

Thanks

Terry

troy
09-09-2008, 05:26 PM
With the 912 clock wise to power in anti clock wise to power out.
Troy

imported_QCR
09-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks Troy,

I need more information, is it started with the wheel off and then tightened until it starts to pull or is it wound full on to begin the pull, Ive never used one before. Is there a right or a wrong way to use ths winch.

Terry

PADDLES
09-09-2008, 08:15 PM
g'day terry, i think it was chimo on here who clued me in. we've got a 315 model. apparently the go is to start the motor and then tighten the clutch until it just grabs, this makes the clutch last the longest.

imported_QCR
09-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks Paddles
I give it a go and see how it pans out, when you get something new you want to give it the best shot.

Terry

Chimo
10-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Hi Terry

Yes the technique above is the way to do it but its not so much the clutch it self its the little thrust bearings that can be affected by tightening too much. They are only small rollers housed in what looks like a couple of washers.

As suggested above, start the winch and only tighten the knob just tighter than is necessary to avoid slip so it engages. Youll sort it the first time you do it.

Cheers
Chimo

imported_QCR
10-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks Chimo, It sounds easy, I just wanted to make sure

Terry

Chimo
10-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi Terry

I just re read your first post and whoever told you about burning out the clutch was not wrong but to do it you do have to :-
-first stuff your thrust bearings so everything gets nice and hot and then
-the clutch plate which is glued on, then lets go and
-then because you dont know exactly whats happening
-you tighten up the black knob which
-in turn completely buggers the thrust bearings which ultimately results in
-the whole winch sort of seizing up
-so you have to pull it right down
-to reglue the clutch and
-replace the thrust bearings and
-then you learn the corect way to use it .........even if you have got a manual.

NB When all else fails read the manual and talk to the mechanic where they sell the bits to fix powerwinchs

You have a nice day now!!!

Cheers
Chimo (sometimes a GOM always a Snr Lifestyle Consultant)