PDA

View Full Version : sea anchor for trawling

toolman2810
09-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Please don't laugh at me, I am honestly this ignorant. I should just go & buy one & try it for myself.
50hp / 15 ft runabout. I am trying to organise a trip to lake Awoonga to hopefully snare some barra.
My slowest trawling speed is 6-7 km an hour, I suspect I need half this speed to be effective for barramundi with the lures I have.
If I was doing it often then obviously I would buy the gear. But for a one off trip can I do it ?
Has anyone ever done it, tossed a sea anchor over the stern to slow your trolling speed

Any info would be much appreciated

Regards Tim

reel scream
09-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Sounds fair Tim.

Cheers Scott

peterbo3
09-09-2008, 02:50 PM
If you trim the motor up you can cut your troll speed a fair bit.

Chimo
09-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi Tim

Try trimming the motor up a bit And probably of mor use drag a bucket or two ie one each side tied close to the boat they do not get in your way.

Heaps cheaper than a sea anchor and a lot more compact and you need a bailing bucket anyhow.!

Cheers
Chimo

Noelm
09-09-2008, 03:39 PM
there is a couple of devices available that are sort of like a flap that is lowered over the rear of the prop, thereby slowing you down, and adjustable to vary speed, would not like to leave it down when you took off though, better than buckets and sea anchors, but you need to buy it of course.

wilcara
09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Yes, no worries. A bucket will do.

Vitamin Sea
09-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I saw a Pro up at the banks a couple of years ago, trolling for spanno's, ( had about 6 in the boat for memory ), he was using a sea anchor to slow himself down, obviously worked.

Give it a go

Cheers

Bill

toolman2810
12-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks all I will have a play & see what works best

cormorant
12-09-2008, 01:04 PM
You now those really tough stiff traffic cones - they already have a square weighted base reinforced , - whoops enough said. Hauser from either side of stern down low like a ski hook.

Trim motor up or right down ( as it pushs the bow dowm and it will slow you)

Can adjust idle stop on acrby linkages down just for the day.

Can use a second prop of a lower pitch

Tracker
12-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I use one of these.:)

http://www.solas.com.au/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=60&cat=Troll+Easy