PDA

View Full Version : Bass fishing in the Noosa River

Barney's Dream
09-09-2008, 01:53 PM
G'day all,

I am heading up the Noosa River this weekend to chass some Bass (in a canoe - so we will be heading pass campsite 3). I have been up there a few times before but normally when the weather is hotter. I am wondering if anyone has been chasing bass there recently and if so, how they went.

Also I am a bit of a novice when it comes to chasing Bass so any tips on method, types of lures etc would be grately appreciated. We normally cast lures into the banks and snags. Not sure of the anmes of the lures that are used though. :-/

Cheers

darylive
09-09-2008, 07:07 PM
I am keen to hear how you go. ;) Maybe some Jacks. ;D

Bass will have a go at most things if they are on the chew. Jackall masked vibes are one of the best and would probably be the go up the noosa. They are not cheap though at around $27. Give spinner baits a go they are a good bet and snag resistant. Slidders also work and you don't cry if you loose them. flick in the same spot you would for anything really. Under over hangs, on the edge of shadows. Target the windward side of the creek where the 'stuff' is getting blown to the shore. Small poppers are worth a go in the shadows.

Propably the best bet with limited space are spinner baits. Flick them then lets them sink. You may find you get hit on the fall as they 'helicopter' down if not lift wind sink till you get it back.

Let us know how you go. :)

Barney's Dream
10-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks Darylive, I will definately take your advice on board and let you know how I go. Re the Jacks - I love chasing Jacks but we are putting in the Kayaks at Harrys Hut and heading north so I think it would be a minor miricale if we got any Jacks that far up... you love to be proved wrong though ;D

wheezer
12-09-2008, 05:55 PM
target structure, dawn and dusk with small surface presentations, like the rebel teeny pop-r, rapala skitterpop or the cultiva gobo. couple of short sharp bloops followed by a pause is a good retrieve. during daylight try going a bit deeper, plastics are good as they are less prone to snagging, either that or small hardbodies.

last time i was up there we had a ball down the lower reaches (narrows) and an even better time on the tarpon up kin kin creek

LeeannP
15-09-2008, 10:41 AM
We've been having a blast with the Jackall Aragons and Daiwa T.D. Cranks in the local creeks and have been catching a lot of bass. The hardbodied lures have been awesome leaving the spinnerbaits for dead. Always important to bring along a selection though ;)

theshortman
16-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Leanne P - have you actually been fishing the noosa area in the past week or so or just getting into bass wherever you are locally? A mate and i are heading up to kin kin creek satruday morning but i am worried about the water colour after the massive dumping of rain we got last week. If you were up there, how's the water clarity? Cheers, Shorty.

darylive
17-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Shorty, we have been getting rain here on the sunshine coast and the fore cast is for more. Mooloolaba is brown. The weather doesn't look good for the weekend. I hope it improves for you. Have some dark lures & something with a rattle.

Best of luck, we will of course expect a feedback ;{

darylive
17-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Barney, i didn't realise you were going right up the top, how did you go?

theshortman
18-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Ok Boys, changed plans. Bit worried about chocolate water so going to hit borumna on Sat. Will let you know how we get on... Hopefully water will be a bit clearer in the dams....?

Barney's Dream
19-09-2008, 02:18 PM
G'day all, thanks for the advice. Did not get that many Bass but the ones that we got were worth it. All of our luck was up past camp 5 but I think that was more to do with the fact that it was dusk when we were at that part in the river. Slept in and missed the dawn session on the Sunday morning. We had no luck on the soft plastics (although I suspect that it might be the users fault :-/ )or the spinner baits... Planning on heading up there again when the water gets a bit warmer....;D