PDA

View Full Version : What are these called? And where do you get them?

BaitThrower
09-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Hi all,

Referencing this ebay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Savage-3-66m-Mercury-3-3-2004-outboard-Accessories_W0QQitemZ230286949828QQihZ013QQcategor yZ158326QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Note the image showing the folddown seats (second last pic). See how they are attached to some fixture on the tinnie thwart? What is that fixture called and where do you get em? I need one of those for my boat :)

Havent seen them anywhere yet so wondering if it is a custom piece or not?

gofishin
09-09-2008, 06:14 AM
BT, they are called adjustable seat clamps. Check here
http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=137&item=75606&intAbsolutePage=1
cheers

cbruh1
09-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Hi all,

Referencing this ebay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Savage-3-66m-Mercury-3-3-2004-outboard-Accessories_W0QQitemZ230286949828QQihZ013QQcategor yZ158326QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Note the image showing the folddown seats (second last pic). See how they are attached to some fixture on the tinnie thwart? What is that fixture called and where do you get em? I need one of those for my boat :)

Havent seen them anywhere yet so wondering if it is a custom piece or not?

Are you looking at the removable seat clamps or the white bits that fix them in place, because the seat clamps can be bought at anygood chandlery, but the white things, I don't know what they are, they look like a good idea, I have one of these seats and it slide everynow and then, and those white fixtures would keep it secure. I am sure you could make them, out of plywood, just cut to size, water proof, then secure on tinnie.

BaitThrower
09-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Are you looking at the removable seat clamps or the white bits that fix them in place, because the seat clamps can be bought at anygood chandlery, but the white things, I don't know what they are, they look like a good idea, I have one of these seats and it slide everynow and then, and those white fixtures would keep it secure. I am sure you could make them, out of plywood, just cut to size, water proof, then secure on tinnie.

Thanks guys. Yep talking about those white things... At first glance I thought it was a long fixture with adjustable "blocks" that slide along a rail, but closer look it just appears to be a fish scale/measure sticker thing behind them...

Looks like maybe a custom block job, and yep, should be easy enough to make. Good idea indeed. May just have to borrow it :P

oldboot
09-09-2008, 11:56 AM
The look like painted timber to me......just the way they are shaped.

would not be at all hard to do.

you could do the same out of HDPE scraps from reverse garbage.

I think they would not have to be anywhere near as big.. as strip of material about 50 x 25 mm would do the job just fine.

cheers

dreemon
09-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah I just bought a seat and the same seat clamp, the guy at whitworths said to use some angle, block, anything because the seats can move around,
and i found out mine did,

but if you buy the s/clamp in the box it comes with the bits that screw into the thwart and holds it down,

not the same as in the pick but does the same job, my fathers day prezzy;D

BaitThrower
09-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Yep should be easy to make. I have some solid hardwood here I will use and finish with a couple coats of marine poly paint. Should be good to go, then screw and sikaflex to the seats. Got a loaded wood shop out the back so might as well use it!

Actually, thinking about it, you could get quite creative and run the blocks in a piece of U or C channel, that way you could move the position of the blocks across the seat for boat balance if needed, but probably not worth the expense and effort, and space etc.

NormC
09-09-2008, 09:25 PM
If the aim is to have removable seats that are adjustable for position, I have just used aluminium sail track pop riveted to the top of the thwart. Position the tracks so the base of the seat slots in. The seats readily slide along the sail track, but with your weight on the seat, they do not move when sitting in the seat.

Works for us.

Norm C

BaitThrower
10-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Hmm good idea Norm.
Might investigate. I have a glass dinghy though. Should make much difference, except in the fixings though.

My rear "thwart" is not a full, continuous (or level) one though so would probably only work up front.