PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh! Green Is wind is low today

FNQCairns
08-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Fair dinkum I cannot believe it, there is less than 10kn of wind at GI out from Cairns its been 15-20kn+ like forever. Have had my eye on it all and the reports where way off:'(

Only hope now is this weekend please, pretty pretty, please:-/

Anyone else from up here got a desperate eye on the forecasts?

cheers fnq

Lucky_Phill
08-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I have a desperate eye, but not for weather up there ;D :P

So, FNQ, the boat in ya avatar.... it that a Cairns Custom Craft ?

IF not, is that manufacturer still operational ?

Phill

FNQCairns
08-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Nah Phill it's just a big tinny, I do not often advertise the builder, even the stickers are removed due a known poor build and lack of good support to rectify, will pm the info soon.

cheers fnq

disorderly
08-09-2008, 10:31 PM
seabreeze has it about 15 up there for the weekend ahead...
but looking at the charts you might get lucky and have a bit of slack weather....once the current high moves on.
Full moon and a bit of run might flush a few trout out.

It's getting a bit wet down here in the hills..think I might just take a spin down the creek this weekend and see if any crabs have been stirred up.

Besides, Scott, I have a few packs of trevally left if I miss out on the crabs.::););D

Remember the closures will be on us again soon and that takes a big chunk out of the already very limited offshore fishing opportunities we seem to be getting:(...

Scott

FNQCairns
09-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah Yeah trevally Mmmmm yum!:) I remember last year a lull spread almost the entire closed season, usually in what has been any typical period calling any season is redundant.

Crabs would be nice, last trip I took a bloke who had never caught them before, I drove he handled and threw all of the legal and illegal bucks back due to getting the difference back to front:( By the time I twigged it was too late to bring any crabs back!

Sunday is looking the pick ATM. Saturday horray if it is good too.

cheers fnq

Scott nthQld
09-09-2008, 03:22 PM
The weather has been crap here only for the last 3-4 weeks though, nothing like you poor buggers have copped.

At the moment we're looking at 10knt saturday and 5's on Sunday, so looks like it will be a big weekend on the fish for us!! Yay...my freezer stocks are starting to get low.

Speaking of crabs though, the old boy and I pulled 9 big muddies on Sunday out of 3 pots (we had 4, but Mr Croc got that one, which I still pulled a few sizeable crab legs out of) as well as a couple of greedy cod that were intent on eating all the very small muddies in the pots. They were a fair size, about 50cm each so we kept them for a frsh feed and pulled about 1/2 doz small muddies and sandies out of their gut....bloody gluttons.
Only down side though is that only 3 crabs were full, the other were about 1/2-3/4, so we still got a decent amount of meat out of them. The largest weighed in at 1.8kg

FNQCairns
10-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Scott nq half your luck on that crabbing trip. Nice bycatch, Cairns is back to it's standard ugly for the weekend, with fingers crossed we will both get a good day out.

cheers fnq

disorderly
16-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Crabs would be nice, last trip I took a bloke who had never caught them before, I drove he handled and threw all of the legal and illegal bucks back due to getting the difference back to front:( By the time I twigged it was too late to bring any crabs back!

cheers fnq

lol..Scott...I missed this before....are you serious?? ..he was throwing back legal bucks....ouch...what a wally..:-[:-[

Speaking of crabs though, the old boy and I pulled 9 big muddies on Sunday out of 3 pots The largest weighed in at 1.8kg

9 legal bucks outta 3 traps..geez ..sounds like you have got the crabbing sussed down there..how long did you let them soak for???and what type of trap and bait??

Scott

Synful
17-09-2008, 06:21 AM
Scott nq half your luck on that crabbing trip. Nice bycatch, Cairns is back to it's standard ugly for the weekend, with fingers crossed we will both get a good day out.

cheers fnq

Mate, I just reckon that God has a really sick sense of humour :)

I know what you mean though; I've had the father in law up for the last week and we've only been able to get out once into the inlet and only managed one estuary cod which found it's way into one of our crab pots, so that catch was a mistake...

FNQCairns
17-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Mate, I just reckon that God has a really sick sense of humour :)

I know what you mean though; I've had the father in law up for the last week and we've only been able to get out once into the inlet and only managed one estuary cod which found it's way into one of our crab pots, so that catch was a mistake...

:DCertainly way of course even as a practical joke! Possibly we will get a cyclone or 10 this year, they are often good for lulls either side, a fair trade too!!;D;D

cheers fnq

snatch
17-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I went out the inlet on Staurday for a few hours. No fish and one undersized mudcrab. Oh, caught a swimmer on the rod. Very quiet with no bait jumping at all.

FNQCairns
18-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Was the swimmer a legal size? I am yet to see one up here.

cheers fnq

disorderly
18-09-2008, 10:47 PM

cheers fnq

Whats the legal length to keep a swimmer anyway??...6ft....I find they get really upset when you hook them and it's only a really good hard knock with the donger that finally subdues them and stems the flow of foul languauge...:P::););D.

Sorry..Pretty lame I know...I had better retreat to my bed now..;)

Synful
19-09-2008, 05:27 AM

cheers fnq

G'day scott,

I've got two of em here before today, both in places where you'd expect to be getting muddies. Still to get anything that's legal in this line here in Cairns but they are here.

Synful
19-09-2008, 05:29 AM
I find they get really upset when you hook them and it's only a really good hard knock with the donger that finally subdues them and stems the flow of foul languauge...:P::););D.

I find it's the same with greenies ;D

FNQCairns
19-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Andrew not only the greenies! Perhaps Scott has a habit of taking his donger out in the boat..what can you do! Live and let live I say:):)

cheers fnq

disorderly
22-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Certainly haven't had a chance to use me donger as much as I would have liked this year....been anther bad macky season for me again...
Wind is looking ok down here for tomorrow though..might just go troll a few lures around...

Synful
22-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Certainly haven't had a chance to use me donger as much as I would have liked this year....been anther bad macky season for me again...

Not wrong, I had dreams of chasing some macks in my boat around Double Island this year over winter and thanks to the wind and swell, I've got out 0 times to chase them. :'(

FNQCairns
22-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Not wrong, I had dreams of chasing some macks in my boat around Double Island this year over winter and thanks to the wind and swell, I've got out 0 times to chase them. :'(

Andrew check out seabreeze-Sunday;)

cheers fnq

Synful
22-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Andrew check out seabreeze-Sunday;)

cheers fnq

Shhh!!!

Don't curse us before we even get chance to remotely think of getting a boat in the water :o

My tip?? Wait for the 20 knot winds to blow up overnight on Saturday:'(:-X

If by some miraculous strain of luck the forecast does hold, I'll get out to the second wreck and see how the tinny handles some 1.7m to 2m swell on the way out and back ;D

Wahoo
29-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Scott
are you heading offshore tomorrow?

Daz

FNQCairns
29-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi Daz bad timing this weather, misses fnq has gotta fly in and out of Townsville tomorrow troubleshooting and I need to hold the fort :( otherwise I would be packing the boat.

You heading out? might not be dead calm but at least fishable I guess.

cheers fnq

Wahoo
29-09-2008, 05:29 PM
yeh heading out, might be the best day for 2 or 3 weeks yet, i can always remember September being great, not this year thou, i would like to be at the ramp at 5am head right out and come in a bit closer after lunch, i think it should be ok

Daz

FNQCairns
29-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Well best of luck Daz, GI is grading down as I speak, going to be a good half day or more with luck.

cheers fnq

pubgolf
29-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Its only blowing 10 knots at GI now according to seabreeze.
Geepers the breeze off the ceiling fan above me is blowing harder than that.
I would be out there tomorrow morning but a prior commitment of a golf day friday would cut the working week to shreds, i cant see a problem there but appaarently the minister for finance can.
We have had some small success' on the macks 6.7 knots seems to be the magic speed for me.
Good luck if any of you blokes get out there.
:thumbsup:
Rod

Synful
29-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Well best of luck Daz, GI is grading down as I speak, going to be a good half day or more with luck.

cheers fnq

Yep, would be a special day from around 5:30am through to 2:30 out there :'(

FNQCairns
30-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Dunno Andrew, just looked and the wind is flogging along at around 5knots out there, hope Daz is handling it OK:P::)>:(;D

cheers fnq

Wahoo
30-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Dunno Andrew, just looked and the wind is flogging along at around 5knots out there, hope Daz is handling it OK:P::)>:(;D

cheers fnq

Hi ya Scott, well what a day, glassed out for about 4 hrs, WOT for a good while, fish was not that great thou, few rather large C/T, dam stinken spottie, and a few sweet lip

for some reason Verado was not at its best, 42knts, 5890 rpm, ( lost WOT and RPM ) could this be the fuel? has been sitting for a while ( 100 L ) topped up with 140L fresh fuel this morning, i also pulled one vent plug from the prop last night, and have noticed a bit of vibe/shudder on holeshot, i know it would make no difference at WOT, but you think this could have caused it?

cheers

Daz

Wahoo
30-09-2008, 06:21 PM
ohh also snapped my small Saltiga, dont ask how as im still baffeled

Daz

Synful
30-09-2008, 06:51 PM

cheers fnq

Yeah - just bloody typical!!

Back to crappy weather again just in time for the weekend for something different! >:(>:(:'(

FNQCairns
30-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi ya Scott, well what a day, glassed out for about 4 hrs, WOT for a good while, fish was not that great thou, few rather large C/T, dam stinken spottie, and a few sweet lip

for some reason Verado was not at its best, 42knts, 5890 rpm, ( lost WOT and RPM ) could this be the fuel? has been sitting for a while ( 100 L ) topped up with 140L fresh fuel this morning, i also pulled one vent plug from the prop last night, and have noticed a bit of vibe/shudder on holeshot, i know it would make no difference at WOT, but you think this could have caused it?

cheers

Daz

That's good fishing by my standards!:-[ Only 2 things I can think of is it's getting warmer, there is a couple hp lost right there also if you tested on smooth water the boat will be slower than if tested on water rough enough to allow some air under the hull at high speed.... something like 10cm waves/ripples.

Your fuel could play a roll as well, sounds like the vent was working and you where getting a little extra slip and then some grab, did it work?

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
30-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Yeah Andrew, 15 and 25 for another few weeks:(

My seabreeze is broke, is yours?

cheers fnq

Wahoo
30-09-2008, 08:19 PM
That's good fishing by my standards!:-[ Only 2 things I can think of is it's getting warmer, there is a couple hp lost right there also if you tested on smooth water the boat will be slower than if tested on water rough enough to allow some air under the hull at high speed.... something like 10cm waves/ripples.

Your fuel could play a roll as well, sounds like the vent was working and you where getting a little extra slip and then some grab, did it work?

cheers fnq

im not to sure Scott, i might hang this prop and go to some other merc prop, but very unsure on which one yet, what would you reccomend? i know you need some figures, but i dont really watch the gauges that often, only one i can recall today was 4100rpm at 50kph i think

Daz

disorderly
30-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Only have one word for you Daz.....

Starts with E and ends with Tec...

Gotta be better than those exploding black anchors ..::););D

Synful
30-09-2008, 09:38 PM
My seabreeze is broke, is yours?

Broke???
Mate if it were broke then the meter might actually get down to below 20 knots :)

It does actually get down to 15 and 16 knots on Saturday though which is workable for estuary fishing; still hanging out for the right weather to give the 2nd wreck off DI a crack. looks like I'll be waiting a while yet by the looks of things :'(

pubgolf
30-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I took the chance to get out this arvo fellas.
One of my mates rang during the day and asked if i was up for a trip if he came around and prepped the boat. Prep it well he did not.
About 10 miles offshore i asked if he grabbed the gaff which had been hooked over my side fence for a week. The dispondant look he gave then the head in hands meant that it was obviously still hooked over the fence.
He also bought enough bait to feed a dozen cats for a month but i was going to be happy trolling lures.
Ahh well.
We got 2 spaniards 130cm for me and 120 for my mate. had another two hits but no hookups. All in all a rough trip and a good arvo out on the water.
The best bit was grabbing the tails of these two spaniards and pulling them over the side.
Cant wait for it to get down to 20 knots again so we can try to crack the quintrex all over again
:thumbsup:
Rod