PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Kayaking offshore

grich
08-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi all.

I have been fishing offshore recently from my kayak. I generally head out the seaway from the end of the spit and then head either along the beach line or out towards the reefs. I was wondering if there were any other kayakers out there who were keen to take up this challenge at some stage. It is a lot more fun/ safer if we have some numbers.
If you are keen could you reply to this post and then we will try to organise a day.

Please don't reply if you are soft.
I'm only looking for hardcore kayakers looking to push the limits of what a kayak can do who are wanting to catch some big fish in deep water.

G.

Seth
08-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Sounds good ive been keen to get my yak off shore was thinking of hitting lagauna bay of noosa but goldie sounds good too there was a good report off the closer reefs on the #### forum not long ago. Are you thinking of putting in in the seaway?

couta1
08-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Sounds good ive been keen to get my yak off shore was thinking of hitting lagauna bay of noosa but goldie sounds good too there was a good report off the closer reefs on the #### forum not long ago. Are you thinking of putting in in the seaway?

we can catch up for a fish if u keen...sent u a pm
cheers
steven

grich
08-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks Steven for the PM. Seth I usually put in at the spit on the beach on the Broadwater side. This weekend should be good for me. Steven looking at your photos you seem to be the one to ask what we should fish for and how to catch it. Being a student if we can catch a feed that would be great.
Let me know when you guys are thinking and if you have heard any useful reports.
We are up to 3 so far. Any one else who is keen feel free to post here.
Graeme.

couta1
09-09-2008, 05:52 PM
i normally stick to livies..with that anything can come to the party.this time of the year u could be in with a chance of a nice cobia.if you get a live tailor he is a sure bait to use for mr cobia(even dead trolled).if you rig up with live yakkas or slimies..they are also good baits to use..with them u have more of a chance with other species,like the tunas(macs,ect),snapper as well as cobia this time of the year

Seth
09-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Sounds awesome im keen as just need a little notice so i can work around. I can do weekday trips if perfered to miss weekend traffic

grich
09-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Hey Guys. I am free both days this weekend. I can't do weekdays at the moment but will have some time off in about 2 weeks. Steven what gear will i need to rig a live tailor? I have used 100lb mono and 10/0 hoos snelled with benito and the likes. Is this stong enough and if not what would be your recommendation? If you guys are keen to head to a fishing store before hand this week let me know.
It's time to unleash the crazy on the ocean.
G.

couta1
11-09-2008, 05:29 PM
looks like nnw/ne at the weakend..i am fishing saturday.so think i will just go local of seaworld to 1mile.i will launch of the beach at philip park..as its a shorter paddle.if there is bait there i am going to hang around there and hope for something..but if the swell is to big i will head out the seaway and put in at the small beach at the side..i will be there at philip park at 6am.

to rig a live tailor i use a 6/0 gamagatsu saltwater fly with a treble atached to the eye on a piece if wire about 10cm long,i pin the hook just behind the head and pin the treble in the tail(i try and keep the treble hooks as small as possible,i find the vmc no4x3 strong havent let me down yet)..100lb mono i think is a bit of an overkill..i use 35lb mainline and about 10 meters of 40lb black magic leader on the front..

grich
12-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey guys. Wind looks like it is dropping for the weekend. Couta I am keen for a paddle this weekend. Reports of a fair bit of bait off sure and some good catches. I will see you there at 6. I normlly launch from the beach just down from Doug jennings park. It is the first sandy beach down from the seaway wall. See you in the morning.
I am in a green ocean kayak.
Graeme.

couta1
12-09-2008, 07:02 PM
mate,change of plans..we will be there at 5.30am..launching from philip park.

grich
12-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey Couta see you then. Weather looks like it is going to be good. G.

JRJR
02-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm up for it for sure. I just got back from a stint up north going 6-7ks off shore. Is that hardcore enough!?