PDA

View Full Version : remove fishing hook

spears
07-09-2008, 08:30 PM
This footage is on how to remove fishing hook from finger.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Remove-A-Fishing-Hook-Using-Fishing-line/

tunaticer
07-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I have been doing similar to this for near 20 years and never had a problem doing it.

One difference though. Press down on the bend of the hook with your free hand to relieve pressure on the barb side of the hook. The removal is so quick and painless it is amazing. I do not clip the line off the hook either.

If you are doing this solo make a loop of line and place the loop over some fixture nearby and the other end around the bend of the hook and use your other hand to hold pressure on the barb side of the hook and pull away quickly and firmly.

Jack.

3rd degree
02-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Was up north recently and put a good size treble through my finger.

I found a bloke who was confident about what he was doing and he made it look so easy.

Didn't miss a minutes fishing!

Bloody handy to know.

Jim

wilcara
02-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah guys be careful here please.... there are a couple of tricks to this as already said and also it is not suited to every situation. Yeah the vid makes it look easy. However this is only suited to taught skin (not face or ear etc) and you need to stretch it out tight while doing it, as tuna said. Also must have consistent counter pressure depressing the barb slightly inwards then against the flesh. The free barbs should be removed first with cutters as they have a habit of sticking into somebody else when removed at speed.

GBC
04-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Excellent point Wilcara.

I speak from experience when I say it won't always work - no matter how hard you yank. :'(

Once had a bait jig hook in my finger that I thought - too easy - finger was a fair bit longer by the time I decided 'this ain't working' and stopped yanking. I knew the technique was right because it had worked before.

It took a local and two doctors to remove one pissant jig hook from a gristly bit.

wilcara
05-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks GBC... if you look at the research it is a long way from just yanking a hook out with a bit of string, there is about an entire chapter of instructions and precautions on this method. I shuddered when on this vid the hook got yanked out with such force, they may have well just ripped it out with pliers. Glad yours came OK, they can be right b@st@rds to get sometimes.

Bronson
12-11-2008, 04:25 PM
i think id rather use pliers personally some people will remember watching this video and try it out when the unfortunate happens that's gotta hurt

bron