PDA

View Full Version : Dead Barra in awoonga

Jacko1
07-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Went for a reccy of awoonga yesterday. (for a weeks fishing after moon) Decky (wife) & I counted more than 100 meter plus dead barra in the bays that we went into. Not fresh probably 2 to 3 weeks. Anyone got any idea's what may have killed these big girls?

Flex
07-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Fairbern damn out at Emerald had a massive Barra kill last winter. Was due to the very cold prolonged weather I was told. Hows the weather been around Awoonga the last 4-5 weeks?

kercus
07-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Jacko1,
Have you informed 1. D.P,I.& F.?
2. EPA ?
3. Local newspapers?

kercus

vet
08-09-2008, 05:41 PM
we had a cold snap with cold sw winds about 2 weeks ago which lasted for a week, this was just enough to get the water down to a critical level in certain areas and the barra died in these areas. You'll notice that the bigger concentrations of dead fish were in the backs of very shallow bays which had no deep water creeks running through them. So during the day these shallow bays warmed up to 17 degrees and the barra were sucked in for the warmth but them overnight when the cold sw were on the water in these shallow places cools rapidly and the fish don't get out and die. The worst should be over as the general temp of the dam is higher now. cheers scott.

Steve B
08-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks Scott,

I was unsure what was causing the same thing here. I have visualised where most of the dead barra were here, and they seem like similar style areas. Thanks for your explaination. Something to think about when fishing hot times in summer....but in the opposite manner...I am sure you understand what I mean.

Hopefully the worst is over. Temps are climbing just nicely now. Hope you are going OK in your newly aquired Skeeter.!!!:D

cheers steve

rod harrison
09-09-2008, 05:15 AM
Barra kills due to cold occasionally happen with free range fish. Mainly in rivers that penetrate a ways inland where summer/winter & day/night temps undergo greater fluctuations than on the coast.

In stocked lakes when water levels get low, it's an unfortunate consequence of winter.

Awoonga lost about 400+ in total, and whilst sad and a waste, it's minor compared with losses in lakes further inland.

It's interesting to note that smaller fish weren't amongst the fatalities. Kurt Hushby at the GAWB hatchery is onto something with his winter stockings. It's a shame some of those DPI dills do not seem to take note.

Jacko1
09-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks to Flex, Kercus, Vet, Steve & Rod for their input. I have been in touch with G.A.W.B. & they agreed that was a cold snap that did the damage. Still very upsetting to see so many large fish dead, however it would be a very small % of what has been released, so there are still plenty to keep us all keen!

chozza
09-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Had a fish at monduran over a week ago spotted a dozen dead ones spread out over the dam.

Andrew :o

Magella
10-09-2008, 09:51 AM
I agree with Vet and Rod as I have seen Big Barra die around the end of winter every year at Monduran over the past 6 years mainly in the the bays like Vet say. When I lived in Kakadu it was not uncommon to see hundreds of barra dead along the shores of the shallow billabongs in winter. As Rod say it is an unfotrtunate part of nature , but something we will have to get use to.

Cheers Foxie

vet
10-09-2008, 10:32 PM
G'day Steve, I've done my dash in the skeeter steve. I haven't been out in her since I got all the fish on the maiden voyage. Think I may have upset the skipper or maybe it's because the Etec has broken down already. It's a bit of a sore point for trev at the moment since she only made it to her first 5hour service and the mechanics put the wrong spark plugs in and now it doesn't go and has been in the shop for the last few days. So Trev is re aquainting himself with my little green garbage bin. I haven't had the heart to say I told you not to buy an etec yet. Maybe tomorrow. cheers scott

Steve B
10-09-2008, 11:10 PM
G'day Steve, I've done my dash in the skeeter steve. I haven't been out in her since I got all the fish on the maiden voyage. Think I may have upset the skipper or maybe it's because the Etec has broken down already. It's a bit of a sore point for trev at the moment since she only made it to her first 5hour service and the mechanics put the wrong spark plugs in and now it doesn't go and has been in the shop for the last few days. So Trev is re aquainting himself with my little green garbage bin. I haven't had the heart to say I told you not to buy an etec yet. Maybe tomorrow. cheers scott

Oooohhhh crap scotty, Geez Trev must be mad!!!. Good mate of mine has also had plug problems with his 150 etec...and hydrolic trim/tilt problems too....thank god for warranty for Trev!!!!

Looks like the wheelie bin is back in the game again;) Good luck in the comp this weekend if your fishin it. cheers steve

Awoonga
11-09-2008, 09:20 AM
It was a software issuie ...Boat Fixed...

Steve B
11-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Good stuff Trev...pppffffew hey;) Have a good weekend mate.