PDA

View Full Version : RFD 406 Epirbs?

reel scream
06-09-2008, 10:31 AM
G'day,

Just after some opinions on these epirbs.

http://www.rfd.com.au/products/marine/marine_epirbs.htm

Thanks Scott

cormorant
06-09-2008, 06:27 PM
They were expensive when I enquired 6 months ago unless a chain store has started stocking them and discounting. What pricing have you got? What is battery life and replacement cost including transport?
Work out the annual total cost of ownership based on prrice and lifetim of battery and battery replacement if possible and compare on price to others.

Their higher quality ones are ( from memory) able to be reprogrammed by infared . Not sure what other features.

reel scream
07-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Cheers cormorant,

Got offered one for $400 through a mates mate, but waiting to find out which one it is. The specs on the web site sound great espcially the cat 2 ones. Pick me up 100mtrs from where i set it off sounds great.

Any info from others would be great. I will find out a bit more this week and post.

Cheers Scott

FNQCairns
07-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Cheers cormorant,

Got offered one for $400 through a mates mate, but waiting to find out which one it is. The specs on the web site sound great espcially the cat 2 ones. Pick me up 100mtrs from where i set it off sounds great.

Any info from others would be great. I will find out a bit more this week and post.

Cheers Scott

Think they all will do that due to the homing beacon incorporated, even the old soon to be unsupported models.

It's good to know there are other brands on the mass market, first i have heard of them.

cheers fnq

cormorant
08-09-2008, 12:56 AM
That pricing sounds like the PLB (personal one ) not the marine one unless he is a real mates rates . PLB don't meet the safety equipment for offshoe on a boat. Needs to be a boat EPIRB that meets the standards. Just double check your exact modlel numbers

For your own safety if your budget will stretch to it consider getting a GPS model. Make the search area small compared to other models and I don't quite agree with the 100m quote. For the extra couple of hundred ( for other brands)

Be interesting to hear how you go. If it is the GPS one - how do I become a mate and wonder about the battery cost if it is replacable?

Zodiac fisho
08-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I suggest when looking at purchase make sure of battery replacement cost and were they have to be sent for this.

www.marinesafe.com.au (http://www.marinesafe.com.au) have GME MT400 for $410