PDA

View Full Version : Redneck boat shade?

FNQCairns
05-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I have a rear centre console and badly need some summer time shade.

I need one that I can roll up leave on the floor totally for the 40km slog offshore and back but quickly erect for a days fishing and trolling and short slow hops to new ground.

I bought a length of approximately 40mm x 3mm aluminium tube a few weeks ago cut it to 4 x 1.5m then got one end of each bent 30 deg at the 200mm mark. Investment $100 so far - mildly committed:(.

These when placed in my current gunnel rod holders leaves me with 4 uprights at approx 1.3 above gunnel ....here is where the idea has stalled:-[ how can I make the rest work without incorporating a big wide structure to support the tarp - which will be a light tarp 100% shade 2mx2m and all pieces including the uprights roll up and pack away like it was never there???

I guess overall the problem is somehow securing each upright together as well as at the same time supporting the tarp enough but all must remain easy and fast in set up/tear down as well as fit into a tent like sack.....::):-/

Any ideas welcome.

cheers fnq

STUIE63
05-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Scott what about something like a scroll that will roll up with two cross bars that have 90 degree elbows on them that fit into the top of your posts these can be held in with elastis clips like eskies have
I don't know if I have explained it well but it makes sense to me
Stuie

Chimo
05-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi Scott

What about what Stuie suggested but use actual blinds either with shade cloth or block out across the frame with blind fittings to house the blind ends on one side and after unfurling across the boat; secure at the other end?
stuff like http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Products/Blinds-Shades

Cheers
Chimo

PS All excited about the 'conference' with the "Blacks"?

Tangles
05-09-2008, 06:28 PM
FNQ,

will this setup fit the bill;D

Roughasguts
05-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Leccy bands the ones from Bias that hold down your esky lid , pick and such on a Signature are crap! mine are!be lucky to last a year before they just have no elastic left.

So anyway to hold it up how about some slightly over lengh condute the electrical stuff, that way it gets a bow or a rigid curvature to hold the cloth up.

Now I figure like me you can't sew, and you could try melting the shade cloth to make a pocket for the conduit to sit in, or you could just use some press studs to make the pockets and also use press studs to hold it firm on your Alluminium frame.

By the way I haven't tried melting shade cloth yet with a soldering iron rather than sew it, Buuuut I think with practice it might work.

tunaticer
05-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Mate from CQ has a similar setup to one of those spring framed pop up tents that you basically unfold or it unfolds itself when you pull it out of the bag. This clips into a frame that drops into sockets mounted on his console. 90% of the time his boat does not have the shade up, only on visciously hot days.

Jack.

FNQCairns
06-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the replies Blokes,

Stuie, I see what you mean will see how if I can make scroll type ends work, an idea I had not though of, thanks

Chimo, your right it might be worth checking to see what is available around here and adapt it, will see if they laugh me out of their showroom:-[ Following one of those links I cam across balustrade sections and joiners.....food for more thought.

Augusto, it looks a bit flash:) , which is lucky because that particular design is not my style:D.

Guts, conduit is a good idea I had thought of small bore aluminium tube but conduit ticks more boxs, Shade cloth not sure if it can be got 100% shade also didn't know it could be welded, getting hit across the back of my head with the wife's iron comes to mind;D.

Jack, your mate is a better bloke than me dealing with heat, because of the season up here the setup will need to handle a squall or two going through, slightly suspect a fully competent arrangement is beyond me and my backyard, not yet beat but soon I many need to seek professional help.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
06-09-2008, 10:26 AM
FNQ, when you think of a shade for your boat it only works when the sun is directly over head. So maybe it should have at least one side to it that can be zipped, or snap studed, to any side when required.

It would also double as a splash cover as well when you got a X/wind going, i'm not keen on spray from the bow when it's cold.

Chimo
06-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Scott

RAGs correct again and although I didn't mention it earlier the off the shelf blinds are or can be longer than the width of the top of the boat so it would, IMHO, be easy to drag the extra length down the sunny side.

If you fit the brackets to hold the blind at the top on both sides you can use the same blind either fixed on the port or stbd side to give more shade on the opposite side if thats the sunny side.

If you get a squall thru thats going to stuff things it would be quick to jerk the end of the blind and then hold it while it pulls itself up and over into its tight roll.

I can see a nice commercial setup here with a frame attached on both sides of the boat with one extra member across the top to support the centre of the blind.

Could probably be made similar to the fold up tent poles complete with elastics and with elbows at the top to attach the sides and top sections with holes in the elbows and at the end of the poles for lock pins to keep it together.

Can you take a pic for me when your finished making it!

Cheers
Chimo

PS The package is on the plane, hope the weather is good for the duration.

FNQCairns
06-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks Blokes, just spent a couple of hours looking at extrusion on the net then wandered out and noticed the pool fence, it has light extrusion rails that slot into a plastic cup bolted to each post. Thinking now I may be able to use this to make the structure a square with each upright the corner then use the tarp to pull it all together from the uprights only and keep it together:o not sure on this. Will have a belly in the tarp:( I don't want to prop it, possibly pockets and something inserted might work to bow it up?

Any other ideas how I could get the above extrusion to work in any other configuration?? Like say would an X be a more stable structure in practice??.

thanks fnq

Chimo
06-09-2008, 04:12 PM
If you did the original and added the "X" clipped inside it across the top you would get rid of the belly and also brace it front to back and side to side depending of course on how you secure the total "kit" to the boat.

Do you have side rails?
If you do maybe you could get some bimini clamps to work for you. And if so maybe you can brace the whole thing with a side arm from forward on both sides that also drops down along the side when not in use?

Cheers
Chimo

FNQCairns
06-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah Chimo I think the X is the way to go too, 2 full lengths passing one above the other then swivel bolt them at that point possibly, then I can cap it with an upside down plastic bowl notch cut so it pushes the tarp up.

The tightness of the tarp will be the only thing keeping it all together I just cannot imagine if this will work or not:(

The only thing holding the uprights in the gunnels is the 30deg angle and they cannot swivel because where each reaches the bottom it has a notch cut out like a fishing rod butt.

Still nothing attempted nothing gained, I am still a little amazed at the lack of modular ends, Xs, Ts, joiners etc I have found so far on the net.

Will get a pic to you Chimo but first you might want to hear how it does:-[;)

cheers fnq

Wahoo
06-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Scott
have seen quite a few boats with large umbrellas also, including me at first, enough shade from the midday sun, quick set up, $20 me thinks, i still have it somewhere if you want it

FNQCairns
06-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks Daz nice of you but I need something that will corral those smelly deckies up forward of my area at a bit better than arms length for most of the day:D but may I reserve the right to borrow if ever your avatar comes for a spin:);)

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
06-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Just wondering FNQ, forget the umbrella shade but what about a Beach shade, the ones that pop up with 4 poles in each corner. If you cut out the floor just maybe you could chop one down to suit your needs. The one I have here can bend to almost any shape and still maintain it's roof height and there pretty strong, maybe you could make a cheap one adapt.

Or pinch it's working parts and put your own stronger cover on it.

FNQCairns
06-09-2008, 11:16 PM
yeah Guts I bet that would work although I am trying hard to stick with my original no modification of the boat idea that I probably should have already mentioned:-X.

Ideally I would like this structure when removed to have no evidence it was ever there. It would be good to go with a custom built one that I can raise and lower but I would need to remove it totally and refit it before and after every trip - would probably see me mowing the lawn instead on a fair few occasions.

So was hoping to find a workable stop gap design, last summer I missed a few trips because it was going to be too uncomfortable.

I might try the above idea, possibly pin the ends of the X to the uprights - dunno for sure but suspect it will look redneck non the less but we will be cool.

Feel free to let me know if you think of any modification that might make it work better, probably not going to look at it again until next weekend anyway so I can keep rolling it around in my mind.

thanks for the help.

cheers fnq

oldboot
06-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Have you thaught about a poly pipe iglo.

If you select the appropriate size & length of polly pipe it will give you a nice arc, that you could either plug into the rod holders direct or into the pipes you have.

then you just run some horisontals in in light ally pipe that are fixes with snap in clips like you would use to mount oars or gaffs or stuff.

The alternative life stylers build these things for all sorts of things from sheds to chicken runs.

looks like a nissan hut but the hoops are polly pipe.

just a thaught.

cheers

greenbeest
06-09-2008, 11:50 PM
I made my own bimini/shade cover.
Refer post http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=128461

Hope this helps & gives you some ideas.

Included are pics of how the shade cover is stored in my boat when travelling if you don't need it at the time.

FNQCairns
07-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks oldboot will see what the suppliers have in fittings to suit the poly pipe and see if i can make it work.

Greensbeest thanks yep that's pretty close to the idea I had for mine, I like where it packs away to near nothing and unobtrusive especially. Here's hoping I end up with something just as usable when needed on the water.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
26-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Well it's done or almost done, takes well less than 2 minutes to put up single handed and 40seconds to pull down, not very pretty but that was not the brief. Still need to fit the tarp to pull equally on each upright so the leaning one will straighten up, also button on each to contain the elastic loop and the uprights need a trim to length.

Total cost was $190, I used pool rail for the X and pool post retaining females pop riveted to the tube.

pic here:http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h35/fnqcairns/DSCF0033-1.jpg

Been blustery today, the tarp flaps but the structure stays solid, so that's a little win, I should be able to travel slowly on the plane when offshore without pulling it down each time.

Thanks to all for the advice.

cheers fnq

Wahoo
26-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Well it's done or almost done, takes well less than 2 minutes to put up single handed and 40seconds to pull down, not very pretty but that was not the brief. Still need to fit the tarp to pull equally on each upright so the leaning one will straighten up, also button on each to contain the elastic loop and the uprights need a trim to length.

Total cost was $190, I used pool rail for the X and pool post retaining females pop riveted to the tube.

pic here:http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h35/fnqcairns/DSCF0033-1.jpg

Been blustery today, the tarp flaps but the structure stays solid, so that's a little win, I should be able to travel slowly when offshore without pulling it down each time.

Thanks to all for the advice.

cheers fnq

nice one Scott, and now it can be used as a sail with all this wind we are having

Daz

FNQCairns
26-09-2008, 07:25 PM
nice one Scott, and now it can be used as a sail with all this wind we are having

Daz

Actually I could use it as a sail;D all this wind is a really crook joke!

cheers fnq

Chimo
26-09-2008, 07:35 PM
So where will you mount the keel? or maybe a couple of dagger boards will allow you to do more than just run with the wind.

What about the ball?

Cheers
Chimo

FNQCairns
26-09-2008, 07:45 PM
So where will you mount the keel? or maybe a couple of dagger boards will allow you to do more than just run with the wind.

What about the ball?

Cheers
Chimo

Sorry Chimo, still to reply to your PM, yeah thanks the ball might work, will think on it for the time being, if the flapping becomes too annoying, it took 15knots of wind today to make it flap I might need to do something like that.

Wonder if the O/B would be enough of a dagger board to pull a couple of degrees either way.

cheers fnq

disorderly
26-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Looks good Scott..

And much more importantly, it will make your days on the water sooo.. much more pleasant.....

FNQCairns
26-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Too true Scott, if any of my future trips will be like a couple I had last year it will be a godsend, closest I have ever been to melting was out on the reef in full sun in a shiny tinny with no wind what's so ever, on one of those days I drank 6L of water while out there and only pee'd once!..not onto the reef but back into a bottle - just incase;D

cheers fnq