PDA

View Full Version : Help with Battery, please

Debro
04-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Has anyone used a Car Battery in the Boat. We were thinking of putting a normal car battery in instead of a marine battery?
We only run a small sounder, (don't use lights - day use only) and electric start 40hp 2 stroke Yamaha with tilt & trim.

Can anyone see a problem with this?

Appreciate your knowledge please.

Batteries are very confusing!

Thanks
Debro

Blackened
04-09-2008, 08:48 AM
G'day

Here's my thinking.

If you need it to primarily start your outboard, do NOT do it. A car battery can collapse and render it and your outboard useless.

If you primarily pull start your outboard, then sure, run a motorcycle or car battery.

The old battery I had in my tinny was one out of a falcon. My engine was pull start only, hence relying on the battery was only for lights and sounder. This was like this for the the best part of 8 years.

I have only recently put in a 130a/h deep cycle and this is only because I will now run an electric and a few hundred watts of spotlights.

Dave

Argle
04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Debro, while a car battery will "do the job" its life expectancy would be fairly short. A heavy duty marine or industrial battery will be better suited to the pounding and vibration you would expect in a boat. Yes you will pay more for a good quality one but as the saying goes, "boats are bloody hard to push start"

Cheers and Beers
Scott

modo
04-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Boat batteries are built alot stronger and have vibration proof cell's inside and can have higher cold cranking amps for those older harder to start engines than most vehicle batteries. Mate don't even consider a car or truck battery. You will be sorry as the constant punishment will deteriate it and you may be stuck at the boat ramp with a car that won't start. >:(>:(. It just aint worth the trouble.

Roughasguts
04-09-2008, 09:53 AM
If you wan't to be cheap, go to a two dollar shop and get a $5.00 camp matress and cut that down to the size of your battery and shove that underneath.

That will take some of the vibration out, and if the batttery is at the back it shouldn't get much of a rough ride, compared to a car battery on Sydney roads. Been across the bridge lately it's like a bush track leading in to the council dump it's that rough. So why do we pay a toll it's not for up keep is it.

Anyway I've always had car batterys before this marine one, and didn't have any let me down before. Mind you went through a few car batterys, my current marine one is 8 years old and still good.

the gecko
04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
My first boat had a new heavy duty car battery in it. It lasted just 10 mths. Its false economy.

Andrew

Pazz01
04-09-2008, 01:00 PM
I run a twin battery set up and I run 4 wheel drive batteries in my haines. Have done so for about 15 years.

I ensure they are regularly charged, and would put them on the charge around once a month if I haven't used it. I also regularly check the water in them.

The last lot of batteries I had we got 6 years out of them and I only changed them because of how old they were.

So you can run them, just look after them.

Just my two cents worth.

Pazz

bushbeachboy
04-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Debro, you could try it if you like.

I have the same Yammie as you and it has a pull-start fitted in addition to the electric start. I've never tried to pull start it with a flat battery, so I'm not sure if it will start or not. Maybe someone here could advise????????

If it will start, then you would have no worries with the battery failing from a safety perspective, but it might be a false economy if you have to replace the battery in a short time.
Cheers

Debro
04-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all your information Guys.

You've convinced my husband to spend the dough and get the right battery.

The battery (marine battery) that came with the Boat seems to have a cell not bubbling when charging, and the battery is week, only had it three years.

I reckon instead of having 12 volts we've got 10. 1 cell down out of six.

Anyway not happy about having to buy another one so quick.
But you've all reasurre us to buy another Marine Battery.

Thank You all for your knowledge.

Debro and Baz

Debro
04-09-2008, 03:27 PM
bushbeachboy,

Yes we have pull started our several times, because the battery has let us down.
Usually first pull. Starts better by hand that the electric start.

Our Model is 40XWTL, 3 year old.

When it was new the bloody earth wire fell off the motore, the screw came out. We couldn't tilt either, scraped the skeg on the boatramp.
Then we found we could turn a screw to lift it once we had it out of the water.

Thanks for your reply.
We will go and buy another Marine Battery.
Hope we have better luck, last longer than three years.

Regards
Debro

Debro
04-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Debro, while a car battery will "do the job" its life expectancy would be fairly short. A heavy duty marine or industrial battery will be better suited to the pounding and vibration you would expect in a boat. Yes you will pay more for a good quality one but as the saying goes, "boats are bloody hard to push start"

Cheers and Beers
Scott
Thanks for your Quote.

Weather is always perfect when your are work but a least today it is pouring and blowing so I glad I'm at work.

thanks for your help. Will buy a Marine battery.

Debro

newchum
04-09-2008, 03:31 PM
I run a twin battery set up and I run 4 wheel drive batteries in my haines. Have done so for about 15 years.

I ensure they are regularly charged, and would put them on the charge around once a month if I haven't used it. I also regularly check the water in them.

The last lot of batteries I had we got 6 years out of them and I only changed them because of how old they were.

So you can run them, just look after them.

Just my two cents worth.

PazzI have used 4 wheel drive battries in my old haines for a long time without problems, with the amount of hours i clock up in a year it doesn't matter, as long as the battery is mounted near the transom there is not much shock. but thats just my experience

kronfeld7
04-09-2008, 06:07 PM
good advice there on going for the marine battery. My first time out in my new boat i had a century marine 600 and it started fine at home before we went out and then died at the boat ramp.

i had a spare car battery at home and went to put it in but decided to get some advice from Northside Marine in which i ended up buying a seamaster battery.

Has not let me down once and i run two radios, sounder, gps, lights and cigarette lighter output. I do keep a jumpstarter on board when i do overnighters but haven't had to use it.

Rosco

lunchcutter
04-09-2008, 06:08 PM
in my boat i use 2 boat battries 1 been a boat and the other a small truck battery saying that i get more out the truck battery than boat battery

FNQCairns
04-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Has anyone used a Car Battery in the Boat. We were thinking of putting a normal car battery in instead of a marine battery?
We only run a small sounder, (don't use lights - day use only) and electric start 40hp 2 stroke Yamaha with tilt & trim.

Can anyone see a problem with this?

Appreciate your knowledge please.

Batteries are very confusing!

Thanks
Debro

Yes every single time in over 25 years never had a relate-able problem as a result and my father before me in years previous and parallel, now I will only use 4wd-light truck battery's, I have beat 4wds over corrugations and middle of nowhere dirt roads for hours straight far worse that I ever have in a boat.

cheers fnq

sharkcat one
04-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi Guys,

Here's Some Useless Information For All The Experts--

Truck , Tractor And Marine Batteries Are The Same Battery
They Are Just Labeled Differentlly .

I Should Know I'am In The Biss.

See Ya.

FNQCairns
04-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi Guys,

See Ya.

I used to know this!, the state head of a MAJOR battery company who was also the father of a good mate told me. I was never sure if things had changed since, sounds like the have not.

One Q if you have the time has the true and real world reliability of lead acid low maintenance type battery's gotten anywhere near the wet cell lead acid battery's yet?

I was privy to the the battery manufactures in house testing and failures/warranty returns relating to these which where considered typical throught the industry.

cheers fnq

foxx510
04-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi Guys,

See Ya.

How does the pricing compare between these three?

sharkcat one
04-09-2008, 09:42 PM
How does the pricing compare between these three?
THE ONLY PRICE DIFFERENCE SHOULD BE IN THE DIFFERENT SIZE, CRANK AMPS,
AMPS OR BRANDS. THEIR MIGHT BE A SMALL DIFFERENCE , BUTT IF YOU FIND THAT THEIR IS A BIG DIFFERENCE , SHOP SOME WHERE ELSE.

sharkcat one
04-09-2008, 09:48 PM
P.s.

Didn't Notice Until It Was Posted.

I Spelt But With Two T's . Ha , Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha,

Sorry Bye

Reel Nauti
04-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a 4.4 tinnie with a 40hp electic start 4 strk Yammie. Prior to this motor a 40hp electric start rude. I've only ever used car batteries from the cheap shop and never had a problem, but I do charge it if it's been a while between trips. Usually get 3 years out them, sometimes more. For $80 odd, I reckon it's value. My battery sits on a board, on the hull, and hard against the transom therefore it receives minimal bounce.

Dave

bassgirl
04-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah, we are in the auto electrical business & use our batteries in our boats. Just don't use the cheap crappy ones and keep them charged up. You get what you pay for and look after them.

Debro
05-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Rodney, Reading the info coming in, I'm thinking the same. Our battery doesn't get a lot of shock, it is down the back. Seems like 4wd or truck batteries are better than marine batteries.
Our battery that has let us down is a SeaMaster. Bought new with the boat 3 years ago. Perhaps the battery was a lot older before we got it. No date has been peeled off.

Thanks
Debro

Debro
05-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Hi Guys,

See Ya.

Thank You Sharkcat One.

:o Exactly what I wanted to know. I had a hunch about this and you've cleared my mind.

I think you have sorted out a lot of other minds with your information.
Very much appreciated, Thank You.

Now for the shopping....

If your in the Biss how do we get one for a good price???

Look forward to hearing from you.
Debro

My husband Baz, likes a bargin....8-)

Debro
05-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Don't stress out typo's or spelling mistakes, we're all good at it.
Debro

The knowledged shared is all that counts.
Much appreciated,
Thanks
Debro

Debro
05-09-2008, 08:03 AM
good advice there on going for the marine battery. My first time out in my new boat i had a century marine 600 and it started fine at home before we went out and then died at the boat ramp.

i had a spare car battery at home and went to put it in but decided to get some advice from Northside Marine in which i ended up buying a seamaster battery.

Has not let me down once and i run two radios, sounder, gps, lights and cigarette lighter output. I do keep a jumpstarter on board when i do overnighters but haven't had to use it.

Rosco

:o Rosco, We have a Seamaster that has let us down after buying new 3 years ago with the boat.

See Sharkcat Ones reply, very interesting.

Thanks for your reply
Debro

foxx510
05-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Rodney, Reading the info coming in, I'm thinking the same. Our battery doesn't get a lot of shock, it is down the back. Seems like 4wd or truck batteries are better than marine batteries.
Our battery that has let us down is a SeaMaster. Bought new with the boat 3 years ago. Perhaps the battery was a lot older before we got it. No date has been peeled off.

Thanks
Debro

Maybe it spent some time partially discharged. This will damage any battery and shorten it's lifespan. Our Seamaster is going strong after 4 years.

foxx510
05-09-2008, 09:00 AM
THE ONLY PRICE DIFFERENCE SHOULD BE IN THE DIFFERENT SIZE, CRANK AMPS,
AMPS OR BRANDS. THEIR MIGHT BE A SMALL DIFFERENCE , BUTT IF YOU FIND THAT THEIR IS A BIG DIFFERENCE , SHOP SOME WHERE ELSE.

Doesn't this prove the point that you may as well get the marine battery? You still want the one with better plate bonding to withstand vibration, so getting a cheap car battery isn't really an option unless you are prepared to take the risk with hand starting.

From my brief research, the Exide marine battery is the same price or cheaper than the Exide 4wd battery that appears to have the same specs.

sharkcat one
05-09-2008, 08:45 PM
One Good Place To Buy From Is Battery World,
They Usually Can Do A Better Price Than What's On The Shelf Price,
You May Have To Ask Nicely.

See Ya

Debro
06-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Maybe it spent some time partially discharged. This will damage any battery and shorten it's lifespan. Our Seamaster is going strong after 4 years.

Oh yeah! Come to think of it. It did run flat at one time. Accidently flicked on the rear light and didn't notice. It ran flat overnight. We didn't recharge it with a battery charger only used the motor and thought that would have recharged it.

Reading all this info from you Guys, has been a great help. We now know a lot more about batteries.
We'll make sure we keep the new one fully charged.

Many thanks
Debro & Baz

Debro
06-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Doesn't this prove the point that you may as well get the marine battery? You still want the one with better plate bonding to withstand vibration, so getting a cheap car battery isn't really an option unless you are prepared to take the risk with hand starting.

From my brief research, the Exide marine battery is the same price or cheaper than the Exide 4wd battery that appears to have the same specs.

Thanks Foxxy, I agree.

Debro

Debro
06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
One Good Place To Buy From Is Battery World,
They Usually Can Do A Better Price Than What's On The Shelf Price,
You May Have To Ask Nicely.

See Ya

Thanks Shartcat One,
No trouble for me to ask nicely. We are also members of the VMR which I believe Battery World will give a discount.

Thanks for all your clues and information.
You've been very helpful, greatly appreciated.

See ya
Debro

lunchcutter
06-09-2008, 07:14 PM
i find it was fine to use car/ truck 4wd batteries in boats but not to use boat batteries in cars it all comes down to the charging in car is to high for boat batteries

tunaticer
04-10-2008, 06:58 PM
I have two 120AH deep cycle batteries mounted 2/3rds forward and they have been regularly bounced around a bit over the past 4 yrs now and still going strong without any noticeable deterioration in either charging time or output voltage or how the charge lasts. I think its a lot to do with the quality of the battery you buy.
Buy from supercheap and you will have exactly that.....supercheap construction. Buy from a local manufacturer that stands 100% behind thier product and you generally will be buying a better quality build.

Jack.