PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 2 Stroke V 4 stroke - torque curve

TheRealAndy
03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
OK, so now I have decided to level the playing field to one manufacturer. Does anyone have torque cureves for a yam engines, or any other manufacturer that makes bot 2 and 4 stroke.

Why would you buy a yam 4 stroke over a 2 stroke or vice versa?

chop duster
03-09-2008, 10:12 PM
TRA,
these torque curves as far as i know are not available to the general public. Do a search regarding the 4 stroke v 2 stroke argument, it has been fought (but never won) many of times before.
After reading thru the archive and you still can't make up your mind, try to organise a ride in someones boat with both the engines you are looking to compare = make up your own mind!

BM
03-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Torque and hp graphs are a jealously guarded beast in the marine game.

Good luck finding one....

In terms of 2 v 4 in many recreational applications either engine will do. What are your specific requirements for your boat? What activities constitute your 'normal' usage?

Cheers

TheRealAndy
04-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Cheers guys, I am just curios now. I am surprised that considering the large amount of debate that someone is not doing independant testing of outboards.

Noelm
04-09-2008, 08:11 AM
there is a lot of stuff available if you do some "googling" I don't think the manufactures publish their own (some may) but the figures are out there!

Blackened
04-09-2008, 08:25 AM
G'day

Any particular site we should be looking at noel?

Dave

Noelm
04-09-2008, 08:58 AM
I found a lot of stuff at continuouswave, plus some others, I will see what I can dig up, there was one rather mildly interesting one that had the amount of blown Engines under warranty, I posted it before, of course who knows how acurate it is, but al least it was some sort of numbers. I just found the results, can't find the years that were "examined"

Evinrude Ficht – 3240 blown
Evinrude Etec - 256 blown
Yahmaha HPDI – 1755 blown
Mercury Optimax – 2651 blown
Suzuki 4 Stroke – 1378 blown

TimiBoy
04-09-2008, 09:03 AM
I found a lot of stuff at continuouswave, plus some others, I will see what I can dig up, there was one rather mildly interesting one that had the amount of blown Engines under warranty, I posted it before, of course who knows how acurate it is, but al least it was some sort of numbers. I just found the results, can't find the years that were "examined"

Evinrude Ficht – 3240 blown
Evinrude Etec - 256 blown
Yahmaha HPDI – 1755 blown
Mercury Optimax – 2651 blown
Suzuki 4 Stroke – 1378 blown

They dropped a couple of zeros off the ETEC one didn't they?:-X:-X:-X

And obviously not ONE Verado!;D;D;D

Now watch someone take me seriously...

Cheers,

Tim

davez104
04-09-2008, 09:06 AM
I know you're only having a dig Tim.

I would guess the figures have been collected during a time period going back well before the advent of the Etec. Shame there are no dates with the figures, like on a year to year basis, that would be meaningful.

Dave.

Blackened
04-09-2008, 09:08 AM
G'day

I'd actually prefer to see a ratio.

x amount of blown units under warranty with y being sold

That would be much more interesting.

Dave

davez104
04-09-2008, 09:09 AM
True, true. A percentage would be better.

Dave.

Noelm
04-09-2008, 09:22 AM
yep, a % would make for a more interesting statistic, but for all I know that list may have been compiled from pretty dodgey sources, but I guess it could also have been very acurate data as well, there was a whole article about it and I copied that bit for something else I was working on at the time.