PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Hot water "Rubbish"

Roughasguts
03-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I bought a Coleman H/W system only 4 months ago, I used it once to charge the battery and clean the tank and also make a cup of Tea with it. (too cold)

I pulled it back out the box yesterday to charge the battery and then give it a run.

Well the battery wouldn't take a charge so I got another! hooked up, and the pump wouldn't run................... Then there was no spark.

Moral of the story is keep your receipts and the box in good nick, cause chances are yours will be stuffed shortly as well.

Good luck with them, I would rather me money back than have something that may or may not work when required.

Raesen
03-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Sorry to hear your dilemma with the HW unit mate. I have one and couldn't be more happy with it. Plenty of hot water, no dramas at all and we have been up the beach camping many times a couple of weeks at a time. Also used it when we renovated the bathroom which took a week.

Set up shower and HW unit outside and all was good except it was the middle of winter and not nice for an early start (ie 5:30 am)

I would try and contact Coleman direct. Probably no chance but never know they may replace it.

Cheers
Pete

Tim_N
03-09-2008, 03:26 PM
We get plenty of that regarding those HWS at work, it is not uncommon.
Tim

Seahorse
03-09-2008, 04:40 PM
A mate has one and seems to be lot stuffing around, especially if pilot light goes out on the mrs's shower.
I Just Use One Of The Pump In The Bucket Ones.
Just Runs Of Car Batt.
I Usually Boil Up Sauspan Water Add It To The Bucket And Nice Warm Shower.

Roughasguts
03-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I contacted Coleman on another issue with the 12 volt plug it was busted 4 months ago when I bought it. They Colman said yep send us 24 bucks plus postage and we'll send you a new one. WTF.

I said then How about I take your product back to where I bought from for a full refund, then you can deal with all the postage and repairs.

Or you can send me one for free to avoid all that.
I got my 12 volt plug but only after a fight, so this time it went back to where I bought it from, I couldn't deal with Colman if they where like that with a 2 dollar plug.

Yeah it's a pity but I think mine was made where the quality of the product has declined, think i'll try solar instead.

Cheech
03-09-2008, 06:15 PM
I thought about one of them, but have gone with the setup like seahorse with the battery operated shower pumps (the $40.00 variety). Only variation is that I use 3 of those solar heated shower bags you get for $10.00. Just don't over fill them (that's why I have 3) and they get pretty hot by the end of the day. I then pour the contents into a 20 litre water container. Can add boiling water if needed to top the temp up. Heaps of hot water for the whole family.

No good if you are traveling and do not have time to let the water heat, but for us we are camped in the one place, so no probs.

Seahorse
03-09-2008, 06:58 PM
cheech
thats a good idea about the bags.
think i will get a few.
i can get through a shower with less than 10 litres no worries.
other half uses bit more.

cheers

Awesome
03-09-2008, 07:17 PM
I've had mine for three years and couldn't be happier with it.
It's be flogged through 5000km off corrugated roads in the back of the Hilux and still performs.

Roughasguts
03-09-2008, 07:35 PM
That's good news Awesome, yours might be made in the other country.

Blackjenny
03-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Can I add that there is a thing I call a 'Kenya' shower? Hundreds and thousands of people with no running hot water do it "everyday". It involves pretty much what Seahorse suggested, i.e. boiling water and adding it to a bucket of cooler water to the required temperature.
The difference with a 'Kenya' shower is that you just use a bailer to throw the water over the body, soap up, then rinse to your delight. It works really well. Saves on water use too if you're in a drought region. :bath:
Sorry about your Coleman Roughasguts. I'd be wanting a refund. :(

Roughasguts
03-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks Blackjenny, I got me refund only cause I bought it at Kmart. If it was up to Coleman, I dought they would even touch it.

Don't know about the Kenya shower though, I bought it for me now 3 month old baby, for a warm bath and all the clothes washing that goes with him.

Oh well have to make other arangements no big deal really.

Hmmm coil of copper running from the vans outside tap through a fire easy.

shano
03-09-2008, 09:48 PM
ive had mine for 4 years, but it is the second one! the first one we had used it once and then it wouldnt get hot enough so took it back and a said had this one for 4 years and still going strong and on the original battery! i think maybe there are some lemons and some good! i got one of the good ones!

Roughasguts
03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Bloody hell same battery your joking, mine would not even hold a charge and only 4 months from the store.

Yep I got a dud.

murf
03-09-2008, 10:04 PM
here is one for you to look at mate

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Instant-LPG-Gas-Hot-Water-Heater-Caravan-RV-Mobile-Home_W0QQitemZ170255369834QQihZ007QQcategoryZ78973 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

add a 12volt pressure pump to suit with a $20 12 volt shower kit

I have had the colman HW on demand unit for a couple of years, been replaced twice through faults

it seems to ave an endless array of idiosyncrancies, my missus cops every one of the with shampoo in her hair in the cold windy night haha

internal battery gets low so hot water stops, no more until re-charged, so cold rinse off and I get blamed by hysterical mad wife:o

the smallest blockage in the flow of water ie a bit of every day detritus/dirt in a bucket of water when camping and water goes cold, you guessed it more screaming

she kinks hose a little when washing out hair and water goes cold

the best bit is I don't have to heat up water on fire for three girls:P they just go and turn it on and all is good, maybe ,usually;)

I used to use a $20 cheep 12v pump and shower head through the colman and run it off a 12 volt bat in car/van/batt pack, solves the internal battery going flat

I now use a 12volt pressure pump ($100) to push more water through as it was not getting enough flow with other pumps

also use a 4kg gas bottle

best of luck with what you decide

and I am soft too now and wouldn't be without my gas hot water when camping:-[ unless I am with the boys and in a swag:)

cheers Murf

Roughasguts
03-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks Murf, Yeah I still need hot water so maybe I can get something installed in the caravan.
Actually they have those instant hot water things, maybe I can hook something like that up out side on the draw bar near the gas bottles, and out side 12 volt tap. Good point you make about the flow of the Coleman it does need boosting, take forever to fill a bucket.

shano
04-09-2008, 07:42 PM
yep same battery!

liltuffy
04-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Hey Rough as, I got a similar unit as Murf, a 10 litre instantaneous LPG gas HWS and it is the crack!!!.

Bought a submersible sausage pump from whitworths to drive it and the whole setup cost about $300 but have been using it for about 10 trips so far and it is fantastic, you won't look back

Craig

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Instant-LPG-G...QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Instant-LPG-Gas-Hot-Water-Heater-Caravan-RV-Mobile-Home_W0QQitemZ170255369834QQihZ007QQcategoryZ78973 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Seahorse
05-09-2008, 01:59 PM
craig.
what type of unit?
where u get it?
and the lowdown on how it works.

cheers
greg

Lucky_Phill
07-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the link murf,

I had a look at these.... they seem to be the dux nutz.

Phill

liltuffy
08-09-2008, 07:48 AM
craig.
what type of unit?
where u get it?
and the lowdown on how it works.

cheers
greg

Hey Greg, I made it up myself, the system comprises a few items.

1. The hot water unit, it's an LPG one from ebay basically the same as the one on the link, if that's gone do an ebay search for LPG heater. I bought the 10 litre per hour unit instead of the 6 for just a bit more grunt, screw it up to make real hot water for washing up etc. I made a timber box to go around it for protection and to be able to stand it up.

2. The submersible pump is an in line unit which pumps from the drums (2x25 drums with a balancing pipe between them) of water through the HWS then out through the shower head.

3. The gas bottle obviously. I have a 9kg bottle which feeds the HWS and the gas fridge via a T piece.

If you want I can post some pics

Craig

Seahorse
08-09-2008, 06:00 PM
hi craig
i would love to see pics.
sounds good.

cheers
greg

Captain Seaweed
08-09-2008, 07:23 PM
my mates coleman has gone in twice for repairs with broken main knob. Min is good after 2 trips touch wood.
Marty