PDA

View Full Version : Can't remove engine coweling/casing

benfisho
03-09-2008, 06:46 AM
engine is a 25hp 4t mariner prob 10 years old, the casing lock on the back seems to have been broken on the inside as it moves freely up and down,

how the bloody hell can i get the casing off now without smashing it in half? lost for ideas. tried leaverin it off... not happening :-/

Noelm
03-09-2008, 08:02 AM
first off I reckon you need to find another Motor the same so you can see exactly how the catch works, at least then you know what you are trying to achieve, from there maybe remove the outside handle, it may be loose on the shaft that turns the gizmo on the inside, so even though it moves freely, it may not be moving anything inside! next off if you have another Motor the same, you will be able to see what holds the catch on and maybe remove it from the outside (like rivets)

benfisho
03-09-2008, 08:45 AM
problem solved guys... the bolt that runs through the handle into the motor had come looks and the catch had come off its lock and was sitting on the bolt going nowhere!

bit of perseverence and a coat hanger did the trick! now to sort them plugs out!

Noelm
03-09-2008, 01:41 PM
hhmm I think that's what I suggested!

benfisho
03-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks Noelm I think a picked up your message by telepathy when i was outside looking at the engine :D