PDA

View Full Version : Fishing companion/Teacher

Mad-One
02-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi Guy's............I am new to this boating and done a stupid thing and bought a brand new 5.5 centreCab. My problem is I need someone to teach me how to use it off shore all be it only 2k out at the moment as I have no epirb. I am 49yrs of age and a smoker and would like someone to teach me boating aswell as fishing.
I have my own rods and the boat has sounder,gps,livebait tank and some other extras. I live on the Gold Coast so the seaway would suit me better. I have every friday off and every saturday, would prefer early mornings and I will pay for all fuel. If you can help please send me a pm.

Cheers Mad

Ps No show ponies just someone with lots of expierence an responsible

jtpython
02-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Good one mate least your honest and trying to get the right local knowledge
I'm In central Queensland so i'm no help but i guess you won't have to wait long
JT

Scalem
02-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Mad,

That's an offer almost too good to be true - I hope you find someone who can oblige - I don't know how you would define someone with lots of experience, but I guess you may have answered that question already with "No show ponies" Just someone with common sense I am guessing.

There's a lot of people here who will answer your questions about boating, but what you are really saying is that you don't have the confidence to take your new rig out further than 2K or so. Right or wrong? Problem solved by letting people know when you are planning your next outing, maybe you can team up with another boat locally, and then you follow them out. There's a few down your way....

Good luck

Scalem

sleepygreg
02-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Mate....If you were Northside (redcliffe area) I would be more than happy to tag along and give you some tips. I hope you get a response as there are heaps of top people on this site with a lot of knowledge to impart. BTW nice looking rig....almost worth the long drive to have a ride in it.

Cheers
Greg

Mad-One
03-09-2008, 06:24 AM
I don't even have the confidence to poke my nose out unless it is dead flat so that is why I am looking for someone so they can show me what to do. I will buy an epirb if I can get out but at the moment that ain't happening. I thought there would have been a few people with boating experience that maybe didn't have a boat at the moment and wanted to go fishing. I'm not after anyones spot x just experience. By the way the boat is in my avatar

Cheers Mad

Far side
03-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Mad

go and do a bar crossing course with bill corton this will assist you in developing the necessary skills and improve your confidence

reddybayfisher
03-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Just as another option - you may want to look into the Bar Crossing course by Bill Corten (add in the Bush'n'Beach)......also he does a fishing course as well......I have only heard good things about the course he provides....and a fair few Ausfishers have done his course....

reddybayfisher
03-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Farside - your took the words right out of my mouth.....

TimiBoy
03-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Nice tub Mad-One! I'll share some experiences with you!

March 2007 saw me buy my first boat. I spent lots of time mucking about in the bay, getting used to launching and retrieving, and getting the feel for her.

October 2007 I did the offshore fishing and bar crossing courses with Bill Corten.

December 2007 I caught my first good fish out wide (see my Avatar!) I only had my wife with me.

February 2008 started catching fish out there on a regular basis, and it was only after I started yacking to folks on here that it happened!

So here's my advice;

1/ Be familiar with your rig - handling/launching.
2/ For God's sake buy an EPIRB and make sure you have a VHF radio on board.
3/ Join VMR at the GC.
4/ Plan a trip on a Friday/Saturday, and put up a post here asking for a couple of folks to join you.

You will get responses, and your growth, Grasshopper, will begin!;D;D;D

Very happy to have a chat with you about it, pm me if you want my number.

I've had quite a few Ausfishers on my boat, and it's always been a good experience. You'll probably find a few who are just over the moon to have a smoking skipper, too! Just make sure as hell that fuel tank is in one piece, or we'll be reading about you in the paper...

Cheers,

Tim

Scalem
03-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Mad,

I would volunteer because I have every confidence in my knowledge around boats, but I have not been offshore during times that conditions would be considered challenging. The seaway would be classed one of the safest bar crossings on the eastern side of Australia, I only had one occasion on the return trip, where to look behind us was a little heart stopping, but the skipper just kept the boat at the same speed as the waves, chosing to stay on the back of the one we were on. Your rig looks the goods for an early morning trip and back before afternoon wind kicks in, the questions are - do you have a VHF radio? How powerful is your motor?

A good weather prediction 5/10 knots where your return trip is timed with incoming tide is the ideal scenario. If you can get one of the guys who cross the Tweed bar often, you would be on a winner. The seaway is a walk in the park by comparison.

Scalem

Mad-One
03-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Scalem it has a 115 4st Suzi on the back and I only have a 27mhz radio had I known more I would had a vhf put in when I bought it. I am a Gold member of the Southport vmr.
Bill Cortons courses are the next thing on my list to do

Cheers Mad

TimiBoy
03-09-2008, 09:49 AM

Cheers Mad

Trust me, you will never, ever regret it!

And no, he doesn't pay me a commission!;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

coucho
03-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Mad the best piece of advice I could give you would be DON"T panic if you find your self in a situation that rush of blood can bring you unstuck. You have a very nice boat have confidence in it. Also don't rush your confidence will grow I would love to help you out but I am a bit far South sure you will find someone up that way though.

Scalem
03-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Scalem it has a 115 4st Suzi on the back and I only have a 27mhz radio had I known more I would had a vhf put in when I bought it. I am a Gold member of the Southport vmr.

Cheers Mad

A 115 on that size plate or tinny would be more than enough ponies for outside work. The 27meg radio is a little restrictive for range, but I am pretty sure it will cover you out to the 36 meter mark where you will be able to find reef fish and structure. Log on to seaway tower as you go past.

Bill Courten's course comes highly recommended, sure. It's a bit like all the recommendations I had when I bought my 4WD, and my 1st trip on Fraser Island under my own steam was daunting. I had my vehicle locked in low gear, heart in mouth thinking I was going to get bogged. Now, 5 trips to Fraser later, I look back and think what the hell was all the hype about? Its so easy and all common sense, so what I am saying is that if you don't do a bar crossing course with Bill, only choose the perfect weather days to go out and make sure you have backup perhaps with another boat. Bill's training ground is the South Passage Bar, which requires a heck more experience than the southport seaway on a good day IMO.

Scalem