PDA

View Full Version : Disabled trailer

Richard Farrell
02-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I would welcome advice regarding how best to lift/raise a Swift Craft Sea Gull fibreglass boat with an 110HP Chrysler on the back from a disabled trailer. I am unable to move the trailer as a wheel has sheered off so I need to somehow lift the weight off the trailer which will then allow me to work on repairing the trailer. I am unable to drive the trailer any distance so must devise a way of getting the trailer out from under the boat while the boat and trailer are in my mate’s back yard which, by the way, is not easily accessed by vehicles.

Many thanks

Richard

Spaniard_King
02-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Richard.. how about some picks???

I recon make a timber Vee cradle for the ass end.. restrain the boat on this and pull the trailer forward.. just before the front comes off.. put another timber cradle under the front.. then simply winch the boat back onto the trailer once the trailer is repaired. You may need some timber for the axle to slide on to pull the trailer out.

peterbo3
02-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Go to a hire company & get 4 heavy duty steel trestles, 6 heavy duty alloy planks & 2 endless chain hoists. Tape 3 planks together & turn them on their edge then tie them off to the trestles. They must be on edge to increase their load bearing capacity. Get some suitable rope or strap under the hull & onto the motor & start lifting.
When the boat is clear, drag the tlr out then lower the hull down onto some tyres, making sure the bow is as high as possible. Take the hire gear back as you should be able to winch the boat onto your newly repaired tlr.

Noelm
02-09-2008, 11:39 AM
why not just fix the trailer with the Boat still on it? pretty easy to replace an axle or whatever is broken! if not, just get a few blokes, pull the Boat off the trailer onto the grass and your done (motor up of course) or if you are worried about that, some old 4X4 tyres make for a good "landing" spot.

tunaticer
02-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Just jack the trailer up and place 2 decent axle stands either side of the trailer both forward and aft of the axle and springs. No need to take the boat from the trailer to do the job.

Jack.

Hornet Rider
03-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Just jack the trailer up and place 2 decent axle stands either side of the trailer both forward and aft of the axle and springs. No need to take the boat from the trailer to do the job.

Jack.

Richard, tunaticer is on the easiest money here, & without seeing the boat I'd agree this is probably the first & easiest approach. Did it last weekend with my eldest son when when gave my trailer new hubs, bearings etc with the boat still on it. Reliable floor jack, 2 x reliable jack stands, large flat board under the floor jack & smaller flat ones under the jack stands if you're doing the job on grass. At least two people to cross check, keep out from under the boat during & after its been lifted. Do one side at a time or lift both sides on to the jack stands then do the job. In your case if it's only one wheel then you may only have to lift one side.

Ever seen airbag jacks like the 4WD folk use? You can fill them with a compressor or exhaust gas. Wouldn't leave them under a load for too long though.

Do you know why the wheel sheared off? Has it damaged the axel? Is the other wheel damaged too? If you're close enough I can lend you the floor jack & stands.

Dirtysanchez
03-09-2008, 09:51 AM
I agree, jack her up, use stands or worst, besser blocks or similar to sit the trailer on so it is reasonably safe. remove the dead axle with a grinder and go to a reputable place and buy replacement axle, U bolts and hubs / bearings if they also need replacing.
Measure and arrange the rolling set up away from the trailer and when you are happy with it, roll it in and bolt it on.

Where are you located ?

Richard Farrell
03-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Thank you to the members who have taken the time to respond to my enquiry. I'm located in Melbourne which, unfortunately, rules out the very generous offers of assistance from members. I intend talking with my mate today to determine which of the suggestions will assist us in rectifying our problem.

If I get into bother I'll come back for more assistance but thanks again for the prompt, informative responses.

ATB

Richard

reidy
03-09-2008, 12:30 PM

Jack.
Thats the way to do it.
4 cheap x brand bottle jacks and some packing are the go.Pack it jack it, chock it(stands).once its chocked you can move the jacks if you need to raise or lower one or both ends.
Cheers
Reidy

CB77
03-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Ive done this before using car tyres.

As the boat slides off the trailer slowly put tyres under the boat and move the trailer forward.

just the reverse to get it back on.

it is easier with a few people to help move the car forward and back and help with placing tyres etc.

Cheech
03-09-2008, 06:26 PM
About 6 months ago I decided to replace my brakes on the tandem with discs (they were drum brakes). All I did was jack up the box section part of the trailer to the rear of the back wheels, put blocks under it, and then the wheels were off the ground and I was able to remove and replace the whole lot. Easiest way I found was to do minimal work under the trailer. ie; unbolt the springs and remove the whole lot in one go. But if it is just an axle, you may be able to just grind off the ubolts and just remove the axle without too much bother. Don't even bother trying to get the ubolts off. A cutting disk is a lot easier. Bolts don't cost very much.