PDA

View Full Version : mariner marathon......anyone got one......any good...?

yellahunter
01-09-2008, 09:30 PM
hey guys,

just wondered if anyone had a mariner marathon....?

my new boat came with a marathon 25hp,
seems a bit tacky compared to the old merc i had..just in build quality
its the model with the gears on the side and made in japan
might be a bit silly here but just wondered if anyone has one or seen one in action if so what do you think

cheers,

Ben

dodgyone
01-09-2008, 10:05 PM
They are the bare bones commercial version similar to the Yammie Enduro's. Seen a few Pro Crabbers in the Territiory using them so they must be reliable. They thrash them year round with no maintenence or servicing. Built to be tougher than the standard versions.

Waraba Mick
01-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Yes Ben i bought one brand new in 02 a 60 hp tiller mariner marathon and hated it to death. At the 7 month mark i could not stand it any more and it went to trade in land. Lost money on the deal as you do, mate i hope you have a better run than me.

Mick.

yellahunter
02-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Hey Mick,

what did you find wrong with it...?
anything i need to be careful of or watch....

cheers,

Ben

yellahunter
02-09-2008, 11:05 PM
any more tips here...?

Waraba Mick
03-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi Ben, mine was just the most non user friendly most unreliable outboard i have ever owned, in fact i was starting to run out of fishing partners, no one was keen to go out, you couldnt be sure it would get you home.

Rockrash
03-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Very diplomatic there Mick. When I saw the thread I thought I was going to see an outburst.

yellahunter
03-09-2008, 06:48 PM
hmm doesnt sound too promising..

was it just not starting.... or was it cutting out or what..

yellahunter
03-09-2008, 10:44 PM
are they the same as the mercury sea pro....?

im trying to do a bit of research on the marathon but theres just nothing..

Waraba Mick
04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
The way i see it Ben is its on your boat so you may as well use it and see how it goes, you may have a long and trouble free run. They all could not be as bad as mine. My motor was crook from day one and the customer service from the manufacturer was the worst i have known, it has turned me away from the brand.

Pm me and i will give you my number if you want the details of my problems.

As rockrash said i am prone to outbursts on the subject of this motor.