PDA

View Full Version : Stainless rod holders

dhess
01-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Gday fellas,

Hoping to upgrade the crappy standard plastic rod holders on my boat with stainless items. One of them is cracked and am beginning to worry about losing gear.

Few questions:

1.) Are the cheaper stamped stainless holders any good. Will they hold up to trolling for big pelagics?

2.) Any reccomendations for where to get cast 316 holders for a good price?

Cheers,

Dom

peterbo3
01-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Dom,
IMO the stamped SS is a waste of money. Get the good stuff custom made the first time. Give Rod Keats at Ark Marine, Geebung a call. He has done a lot of work for me & the price/quality have been A1.
He does the SS work for a number of builders.;D;D;D
Ph 38654107

Fish Guts
02-09-2008, 08:39 AM
also sid-fishes on here does great work at a reasonable price.

bundylundy
02-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Spend the extra money on the heavy duty ones, the cheaper spot welded ones don't cut the mustard if you are using 15kg and above line. I've seen what a 10 kg spannish hit does to the cheap holders, lucky not to loose the rod. Mate went home and changed them all to the heavy duty one's. I've seen the heavy duty ones at both Whitworths and BCF.

Jeff.

dhess
02-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Funnily enough the crappy plastic holders that came with the boat have held up to a few trolled wahoo to 15kg.

Was kind of hoping to avoid custom items due to $$$. Am leaning to the heavy duty off the shelf cast 316 items at around $35-$40.

ScottB
02-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Check out the Reelax ones, Great quality and will definetly handle what you want

http://www.reelax.com.au/store.php?cPath=252 You may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere. Try Wellsys. They have been cheaper than the reelax prices on other things that I have bought in the past.

Scott

reidy
03-09-2008, 12:38 PM
If your handy with a welder its easy to make customs.
Cheap stick welder ,2.5mm 316 stainless electrodes an angle grinder and a couple of inox (iron free) cut off discs and your away.
If you can weld mild steel you can weld stainless.
Just another angle
Cheers
David

bushbeachboy
03-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Dom what's your boat hull material mate? If it's alloy you might need to apply something to separate the metals to reduce corrosion. Or you could get some heavy duty alloy ones welded into the boat.

dhess
03-09-2008, 03:55 PM
My hull is plate. Was hoping to use some duralec.

Is this enough?

Blackened
03-09-2008, 04:10 PM
My hull is plate. Was hoping to use some duralec.

Is this enough?

G'day

I'd prefer a plastic gasket as well, something like very thin chopping board material (polyurethane i think) or maybe a bit of scrap clears

Dave

dhess
30-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Ended up going with some $40 cast stainless ones from Whittworths. Had to cut out my own rubber gaskets as they didn't come with one. Whacked some duralac on the bolts and washers as well. Will hopefully test them out this summer.

Really like the relax ones but could'nt justify the big bucks as its only a smallish boat and don't troll with heavy tackle or anything.

Local_Guy
01-10-2008, 03:02 PM
probably not a great thing, but i'm upgrading as they break. had a 17lb cobia break a plastic rod holder with a tight drag.

i paid about $32 for my stainless holder.