PDA

View Full Version : know wonder

bobbyb
01-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Know wonder fish stocks are depleted with the technology available to the average fishos these days.
The quality of boats is so high that you can go 50 miles to sea and back in the matter of hours.
Fishing rods and reels are not like the old days.
Fish finders that you can not only see whats under the boat but you can tell the spicies of the fish.
Modern fishing lines and braids, endless list of lures, down riggers, para sales, and now tow cams.
A cameron the size of a lure that can be towed behind your boat, so you can see whats actualy going on.
Where once you would drive off thinking there was no fish, when maybe theres dozzens of fish hanging around your lure.
Now you know to simply change to a different lure and keep working the area until you find a lure they like.
I must admit it would be very exciting to watch all the action on a tv screen in your boat but still another item that will resault in less chance for the fish.

I come from the days where you simply put some bait on your line and through it over the side and cracked a beer and always come home with a feed.
Those days are well gone.

Anyway just a thought.

Cheers all :)

Lucky_Phill
01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
First of all, bobbyb, where did you get the facts about fish stocks being depleted ? How much are they depleted by and what areas are you talking about ?

Secondly, the technology we utilize these days actually enhances the options in regard to fishing in that we can get selective in our endeavours.

If we didn;t have this technology, would we all be still fishing within a few k's of the mainland instead of being spread out far and wide ?

Bag limits, size limits, green zones, seasonal closures etc are placed on us with sustainability in mind and to that end, the results speak for themselves. The vast majority of fisheries are well managed as far as fish stocks are concerned, it is only other " issues ' that are creating problems.

I do see the point of your thread and opinions.

The old days of tossing a line over the side and cracking a beer are just that, the old days. Nothing wrong with the old days, but they are but a memory. Times change, people change etc.

On a side note, maybe with the new technology, we get our bag limit or satisfy our esky much sooner and then head for home earlier and spend quality time with the rest of the family............ ;D

Cheers Phill

bushbeachboy
01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Bobby you don't have to go fishing, you can always just sit around and get the miseries thinking about how things used to be.

Dirtysanchez
01-09-2008, 07:27 PM
LoL, go easy on him guys
I still like to just go out and soak a bait and take it all in, I do like to catch a feed, but some days it is more of a mental health outing than an actual set objective of catching a certain species of fish for tea, maybe in a few years when life slows down a bit and the family has grown up I might get more fussy about it all ;D

bushbeachboy
01-09-2008, 07:41 PM
LoL, go easy on him guys
but some days it is more of a mental health outing

Are we related?:P

Lucky_Phill
01-09-2008, 07:45 PM
but some days it is more of a mental health outing

Yes, we are related.... ;D ::)

PinHead
01-09-2008, 08:02 PM
LoL, go easy on him guys
I still like to just go out and soak a bait and take it all in, I do like to catch a feed, but some days it is more of a mental health outing than an actual set objective of catching a certain species of fish for tea, maybe in a few years when life slows down a bit and the family has grown up I might get more fussy about it all ;D

no you won't..that is when you realise that it is not about catching fish..it is about just getting out on the water..relaxing and watching the world go by. catching fish is just a bonus!!!! One of the best things...after the kids have grown...taking the grandkids for a fish..that is fantastic..one of life's greatest pleasures.

bobbyb
01-09-2008, 08:03 PM
ha ha . love me or loath me i dont care. i know thing are under controle for the times we live in. may be things are a bit fast for me but the way i see it its a bit fast for nature to.........

2manylures
01-09-2008, 09:11 PM
BOBBYB: Don't tell me you went & bought all the technology you mentioned & still can't catch fish.

No wonder ya reckon the stocks are depleted ;)

sheridan
01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
no you won't..that is when you realise that it is not about catching fish..it is about just getting out on the water..relaxing and watching the world go by. catching fish is just a bonus!!!! One of the best things...after the kids have grown...taking the grandkids for a fish..that is fantastic..one of life's greatest pleasures.

Gees couldn,t have said it better myself PinHead totally agree the wife and i wet a line if we a catch fish its a bonus but we just love getting out there

Geoff

bobbyb
01-09-2008, 09:21 PM
onya 2 many
more to the point im probably dirty cause i cant afford all that technology and i cant get any time off work.

BLOOEY
01-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Not so sure if fish stocks are depleted bobby. But technology certainly plays a part in catching more fish.Had my parents ask me the other week if i thought fish stocks were actually on the increase (going by the fish i've caught in the last year or two).I told them NO i'm just a gun fisho;) :P . Ben

Dirtysanchez
02-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks Pinhead.. I actually love going out in the tinny with my son, even if it is just to burn off some old fuel and to see the smile on his face when we get up on the plane, but he's only 7 and doesn't seem to have the fishing bug yet.
Maybe I just need to try harder ;D

CreelReaper
02-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Hey Bobbyb I feel for you mate. :'( I knew some older gentleman many years ago and they would fill my head with stories of the fishing when they were kids. Fishing areas around Brisvegas like Capalaba and the upper reaches of the Brissie river. Man there were some awesome fish back then :o . XXOS snapper and sweetlip, jew and jack, caught right under the Indooroopilly bridge. Mate's father used to catch Barra in Capalaba when he was a kid and you could catch a heap of freshies in just about any feeshwater creek around town.
Yep times have changed but I think that the reality is that there is a lot of other reasons why it isn't like it used to be not just the technology.
Mate, just enjoy fishing as it is intended and has been suggested by the other guys. You don't have to have all the technology, bait soaking with the accompanied beer or 3 still works.:P Life is too short to sweat the small stuff!! If you don't have anybody to join you, go and find someone with similar interests and share some great times on the water and just idly watch the world go by. In fact there would probably be a heap of Ausfishers that would welcome you to join them. If a fish finds your bait all the better.

Shane

reidy
03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Still and warm spring day,Arthurs Lake cricket on the radio,mud eyes,bait rod,kids laying back in the sun.Hay Jess wake me up if the line starts moving just going to have a snooze. only two fish for the day but who cares.
Picture perfect.;D
Cheers
Reidy

gunna
03-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Fish stocks aren't depleted. All this catch and release fishing ensures that.

FNQCairns
03-09-2008, 04:56 PM
I have been having a terrible run catching fish, the worst in my life apart from when I lived inland and lost a good bit of interest ...anyway I live next to an overstocked reef that is for all intents and purposes untouched and I have had the worst catch V trip ratio ever!

It's me it's not the fish and apart from very localised areas Australia wide it's the fisherman not the fish also.

cheers fnq

bobbyb
29-09-2008, 10:56 PM
thanks guys.
i tend to post these thoughts ' probably as a way the world has changed in my life, and not thinking of the younger generation that don't know the way it use to be. the wold is so much more complected for our kids. glad to here from some of you guys who just love being on the water.

( sorry if a bit late i dont tend to follow up on my winging)

PaulMark
04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Spot on PinHead,priceless times.Its funny how grandkids are interested and listen to what Grandad has to say whereas the kids just think "He's off again,humour him"::) .2nd best thing about taking the grandkids fishing is..you take em home after;D
Paulo.

oldboot
04-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Yeh you have to remember those old days when a bloke would go out with 20 crab pots.... or just keep boating whiting or bream till ya ran out of places to put them........or fellas would yank up massive gropers or whatever just for the funn of it and take em home just to show the mates.

Oh yeh those old times where something

one hopes we are a bit better informed these days.

cheers

kingtin
04-10-2008, 07:40 PM
one hopes we are a bit better informed these days.

cheers

We reap what we sow, eh? :(

kev

TimiBoy
04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Yep, they must've been good times, but there are lots of things that make the NOW better IMO. Medical technology, communication, mass transit, supercharged 4 strokes (;D) and many others. I look forward to what tomorrow's going to bring, and look to history for lessons. On balance, I can't wait for tomorrow, and I'm glad yesterday is, well, yesterday...

Cheers,

Tim

Scalem
08-10-2008, 04:51 AM
Oh The Times they are a changin...... I think I'll write a song!!!!:P ;D

Catching Bream from the banks of the Tweed, all good fun! Then I learned to throw a cast net and use livebaits, that was even more fun!! Then I bought a boat, life got even better. I learned to use a sounder, how good is this!! Upgraded to a combo with GPS!! Yeeha!! Now I am on the money! While all this was happening they stopped dredging in the Brissy River and stopped commercial fishing the Pumistone which all helped increase fish populations IMO. Another positive thing happened...... I, like many others, stopped being a meat farmer somewhere along the way, and the law helped me see the reasons why up to 5 snapper, or two Bass for example was enough ( not that I always reached my bag limit, more often far from it!!)

These days I enjoy interesting chats with a friend who works for the DPI, helping as time will allow, and despite many restrictions predicted, an upgrade to the boat, new colour sounder and learning new techniques will have me enjoying my past time just as much as when I used to stand on the banks of the Tweed catching bream for a feed. Good memories, and good times ahead even if I have to pay for a fishing license and have a degree in understanding exclusion zones and environmental impact of throwing a plastic lure into the water...... My glass of water is half full, not half empty.

Scalem

Getout
08-10-2008, 06:34 AM
When I was a kid, it was common for people to throw away fish (bury 'em in the garden) because they couldn't keep them cold (fridge full, tiny freezer)
It was common for anything that wasn't edible to be killed (just so it wouldn't take your bait again)
It was common for huge, inedible trophy fish to be killed and thrown in the rubbish.
I once watched some heros fight a 2m shovelnose shark for hours, only to drag it up on the beach and promptly saw its head off and leave it to rot!!
I'm glad those days are over.
If fish stocks are depleted, our forefathers have a lot to answer for.

Lovey80
08-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Agree with all here. There are many a trip that I come home with only one or two fish and am as happy as when i get a lot. Most fish stocks are certainly not depleted and are getting better IMHO. The longer these size and bag limmits are given a chance the better we will see things in the future. Sure with a growing population the chances of breaking a record or regularly catching a trophy fish are going out the window but thats what sustainability is about isnt it? Mowing back the lawn and lettin it regrow.

Dunno about this comment though "Mate's father used to catch Barra in Capalaba when he was a kid" I recon he must have had a few before he told that tall one?

Cheers

Chris