PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Electric Winch

CB77
01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Can anyone give advice for hard wiring an electic boat winch?

I would like to make a permanent conection in the boot and just plug into winch as needed.

The unit power cable has battery clips at the moment.

Connection is to a VE v8 Commodore so the battery is already in the boot.

Any help would be appreciated.

foxx510
01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
I'd use this (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PT4420) style of connector, but without knowing the size of boat and winch, it's hard to know how much current you will be pulling. Is it the one in your avatar? You can get that connector in larger sizes, you might need the 120amp version. You are probably going to need 4 or 8 AWG wire. Got a model number for the winch?

sparkyice
01-09-2008, 06:41 PM
very good choice of connector.. i use them to connect my batteries to my electric trolling motor, my outboard motor, etc.
when i connect them to my wires, i clamp the connector in a vice, put my wire in and fill the void with solder. this makes a corrosion resistant connection with good electrical conductivity.
for ecellent corrosion protection apply some coppper based anti seize compound to the connectors before inserting them into the plastic body. this is great stuff and has a million uses, but it is a bit messy.

foxx510
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Also, you can get rubber protective caps for them.

CB77
01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
The Winch is a Dynalink with a 2250kg Marine pulling capacity.

Its never been used but i bought it second hand and it doesnt have the manual with it.

The boat is a signature 550c on a mackay multilink trailer. boat probably weighs around 1000kg.

foxx510
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
I can't find any info about that winch sorry. I'd just go for the 120 amp Anderson connectors and 4 AWG wire. You could go smaller, but any voltage drop at all will reduce the performance of the winch considerably, so you may as well play it safe. You will also need some big eye terminals for the battery end.

That's what I'd do, others might have different opinions though.

death_ship
01-09-2008, 08:52 PM
make sure you use a fuse

sparkyice
03-09-2008, 01:18 AM
death ship is right- use a fuse!
you winch should have a data plate on it with voltage, amps, pull capacity, etc.
size your fuse and wire accordingly.
also true about voltage drop. a larger wire will help you there