PDA

View Full Version : fishing reports.

breamnut
01-09-2008, 05:00 PM
here is a poll

bushbeachboy
01-09-2008, 05:17 PM
I voted for 'I read the reports', but it's area dependent. I only read reports about areas I'm interested in.;D

Blackjenny
01-09-2008, 05:32 PM
With my "L" plates on, I read the reports. I have to say that reports with photo's have an edge. I enjoy seeing the fish, the size, variety, colours, markings, location etc etc. And from different waterways and styles of fishing. Thanks. 8-)

imnotoriginal
01-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I also tend to read only the ones from my area, but occasionally others if they seem unusual or interesting
Joel

tunaticer
01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
I scan through the reports quickly looking for bits of data that are like little beacons to me eye, could be weather, location, time of day, bait, technique etc without getting into reading every word. From that information i can decipher the tides, moon phase and conditions with relative accuracy to keep in the brainbox for future references.

For me photographs are for enjoyment but add very little to the worth of a report.

Last thing i want to read in a report are the days of our lives sagas that go on for ages, a real turn off for me.

Jack.

Kleyny
01-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Yep i only read the ones in the area/s I'm interested in.
But in saying that i also read posts from certain fishpersons.

neil

BARRAkid
01-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I like to read any reports
pics do seem to make them a lot better
I also am happy if people use paint on the pics or what ever but i still like to read what town or river or bay and what gear used ;)
pics just make a report so much better tho ;D

cheers BK

Benno1
02-09-2008, 07:54 AM
i read as many of the reports as i possibly can...freshwater...saltwater...offshore...news...a nything...love it when they have pics...if they dont it does't matter to me...i like them for the tips about gear/tides etc...this website has set a fire of interest in me that has no bounds...so come on Ausfishers...POST MORE STUFF!!! :D

Mrs Benno1

charleville
02-09-2008, 08:47 AM
The fishing reports are set as the opening page when I log into Ausfish so they are by far the most important part of the website to me.

Having said that, a report without pictures is a waste of space in my view. As has been said, there are liars, damn liars and fishermen and I am far more likely to accept what I am reading if a photo shows the proof. Digital cameras are soooooo cheap now, and if not cameras, most mobile phones now have cameras, so why not show pics?

I even appreciate nil reports where no fish are caught but where a picture of the prevailing conditions or the sunrise or whatever is shown.

In my view, whatever else a report should say, it is fairly useless unless it tells some basics about bait/lure, water depth, tidal conditions, line class, sinker details and hook details. The actual spot X is less relevant to me as few will be honest about the spot but we can all deservedly learn about techniques from the reports.

If the writer then wants to dress up the story with a bit of humour or creative writing which does not distort the facts then that just adds to the fun and is fine by me. :)

Shnappahead
02-09-2008, 09:21 AM
With my "L" plates on, I read the reports. I have to say that reports with photo's have an edge. I enjoy seeing the fish, the size, variety, colours, markings, location etc etc. And from different waterways and styles of fishing. Thanks. 8-)

Im in the same boat here....I still have the 'L' plates on & find the reports very handy & full of useful information. :)

cbruh1
02-09-2008, 09:34 AM
I read reports that are in my area, also an area I am interested in fishing.

I like it when there is a pic, But if the report goes on and on with no pic it a bit of an anti-climax.

But I am getting sick of some reports that are the same, time after time. For example:

For the past month or 2 or so there has been excellent reports from a river, and I am all for excellent reports, but when its the same fish by the same people every 2nd day, starts to get a bit repeditive, and I just don't read those reports anymore.

Also a reports about every time you go down to the water and catching 3 undersize bream and having 6 pics of each fish, just a waste of storage space on the servers.

If there is something good to report, report it. But I don't need to know how you went every time you go fishing. I rarely report my activities, Why?? because I go out a far bit, and don't want to bore people with my lack of fish, every now and then I will have a good catch/storey to share and I may share it.

Well thats my say anyway.

coucho
02-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I like the reports much better then the polls.
do like the pics though

dogsbody
02-09-2008, 01:44 PM
I'll read reports with pics first if it's what i'm interested in. Then ones with no pics if it sounds good.

But I'll always read a Charleville report. Gold.

Dave.

The Phantom
02-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Same as many others I read reports that interest me. However I tune out very quickly if they are just 1 long sentance.

shorty 01
02-09-2008, 05:53 PM
i read the reports so i know whats going on and where to find the good spots

onerabbit
02-09-2008, 07:08 PM
If you can find a report that is relevant to your local area,
it's a good thing.

It does get a bit tedious reading reports from out of my area unless it's a good story, pics are great.
If I have had an average day, just a fish box pic is good enough, but special fish deserve a photo.

Muzz

PaulMark
02-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I like to read the reports also,the ones with pics usually have the edge.But not real flash about pics of 50 dead fish on someones back lawn.Prefer shots of fish fresh caught with all the colouring bright...magic.
Paulo

nigelr
03-09-2008, 06:20 AM
The large majority of the guys that post up a report make it a real pleasure to read, pics enhance my enjoyment.
It's great to read the reports from guys who travel far offshore in beautiful big boats, as well as just from the young fellas fishing their local river etc.......it's all fishing and it's all good!
Cheers.

Cheech
03-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Looks like you need to add a few extra options to the poll. I also only read reports from the areas I like to fish, or if they are from ausfishers I know.

Synful
03-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Yeah I read the reports as well but I agree that ones with photos definitely have the edge ;)

PinHead
03-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I am the same as Cheech..areas I fish and from people I know.
The long ones I just keep moving on...not interested in reading a long winded report that really has no bearing on the report itself.

BigE
04-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Yeah,yeah I buy it for the articals not the pictures as well........ really I do

BigE

Pridey
05-09-2008, 02:42 PM
I read reports of places I have and do fish. More importantly where Im going to fish. What I do like are MAPS !!!!!!They rock. Im not after GPS's or anything like that. areas that show what fish are bitting so its easier to target. If an area is showing Macs then I'll rig up a little heavier etc..

Shnappahead
05-09-2008, 02:48 PM
I read reports of places I have and do fish. More importantly where Im going to fish. What I do like are MAPS !!!!!!They rock. Im not after GPS's or anything like that. areas that show what fish are bitting so its easier to target. If an area is showing Macs then I'll rig up a little heavier etc..

How often are they posted/available??...I'd be keen to hook up with some of those babies, that would make life so much easier! ;D

Lovey80
05-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I tend to read as many reports from area's I fish or may fish, picks are great especially of the best ones caught on the day. Some guys make a real effort to make the reading entertaining, those guys can write as long as they like as it is entertianing. I am a fan of putting as much detail as possible on times, rigs, baits, lures etc. That way there doesnt have to be 15 posts by the rest of us asking (what lure were you using).

One Thing That Really Irritates Me Is Capital Letters Used At the Start Of Every Word.

I get half way through the first sentence and exit the page!

I don't expect secret spots to be devulged but a generic area would be nice, something like...... "Lower streatches of Maroochy river" or "Murphy's"

Cheers

Chris

NAGG
05-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I like to read reports ...... specially if they are about a destination or species that I am interested in :)

Pictures make a report IMO ........ & I've seen some crackers on here

I've also found that some authors write really well ..... & an average trip can still make a really good read

Keep em coming I say8-)

Nagg

WyldFisher
05-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I voted for 'I read the reports.'

Scott nthQld
06-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I read most, if not all the reports, but am getting a bit tired of bream reports.....there's just been so many of late. I like a report to have a story behind it, to make an entertaining read. I don't just want to hear where people were fishing and what they caught, but about the whole day, any mishaps that could be funny. I don't read a report just to see whats on the bite and where, I like to feel like I was there too....at least thats what I try to convey when I put a report up.

Pics are a bonus, but a good story is what its really all about IMO

Pridey
08-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Snappahead.

The only regular one I see is in the Sun in Townsville, it can be a little off sometimes (as far as I can prove. and obviously once it goes to print sometimes whats to be had is over)

Scott nthQld
08-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Pridey, Have you seen the maps available on the Townsville Bulletin Website? Its got where to fish and what to target for around the Palms, Maggie, Clevelang Bay and Bowling Green Bay. They've been very helpful to me, and the Marks they give out are a very good starting point for you to find your own new ones.

2manylures
09-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I don't take notice of them anymore & haven't for many years as I would prefer to go and do my own thing, not go on someone else's heresay whether it's true or false.

I've heard so many reports over the years & when it boils down to what I use & how I fish in the places I fish reports have been a complete waste of time.

Nic
10-09-2008, 06:17 PM
I like to read reports ...... specially if they are about a destination or species that I am interested in :)
Pictures make a report IMO ........ & I've seen some crackers on here
I've also found that some authors write really well ..... & an average trip can still make a really good read
Keep em coming I say

I agree Nagg, and I really enjoy the mutual exchange of ideas as well. Before I read LGM's reports I would never have thought of using slugs for bass, for example.

I have also been inspired to give a few new locations a try - some that I never knew existed. I have caught many a fish from spots I read about on Ausfish.

Anyway, thanks to all the guys who regularly write informative reports and who include such great on-water photos. Your posts are a real pleasure to read. :)

nufin_flash
16-09-2008, 07:55 AM
i generaly dont read a report unless it has a pic on it , having said that if its local to me i'll read regardless and certain peoples posts i read regardless ,

having said that i myself wont post unless i have a pic