PDA

View Full Version : cc v tiller?

Flex
31-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Hello all. Im in the process of changing the hull on my tinny to a slightly better quality. Im looking at the new Fisher 4.3. I have always had tiller steer boats in my tinny's, but im considering installing a CC for a easier ride.

I have never fished in a small 4.5m boat with a cc. for those that have em does it restrict you much? if your fishing 2-3 blokes out of one where do you sit em all day? as the cc i find makes leg room a tad cramped from what I can gather. so its gunna be a tough choice, Id love a cc so i can stand up and drive when heading into crappy conditions plus get much less wet, but im worried my fishing space will be too reduced.

Opinions?

Hornet Rider
01-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Flex, all depends on where the cc is located & what other bits & bobs you have on board, but a BOE (big orange esky) with seat pad works well, combined with other seats fore & aft. You'll appreciate the advantage of driving standing up in crap weather when you can see what's coming over the next big swell - more swell unfortunately. Hope you have reasonable knee joints, which is one disadvantage of pounding along in the standing position. cc's can be very wet boats, so don't expect to stay dry just because it's a cc. Hope it goes well which ever way you decide.

Flex
01-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Cool, thanks for the pic.

Yeah I expect a cc to be wet, but on occasion im hoping its only my thighs that'll get soaked not my face as with a tiller:) its a pretty tough choice I suppose and a personal preference.

When your underway where do you stick your other passengers? do they stand up too or do you bung em on a seat infront/ behind the cc?

Hornet Rider
01-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Flex, you might like to look around for a good spray jacket. If its rough, you'll get drenched, depending on the width of your console & if its got a shield or clears. If it's calm, passengers stand astride the console, or sit on the mother-in-law seat forward or on the BOE, but if its bone jarring rough & depending on if your into the sea or it's following you, then positioning them for best balance is important - one forward if they are brave enough into a sea, or both back in the centre or on the BOE if it's a big following sea. If you don't have remote electic trim on your contol box at the cc, then use your passengers as ballast to balance your boat according to the sea state.

PADDLES
02-09-2008, 07:56 AM
i think it comes down to whether you want to stand up or sit down to drive flex. if you've got a bad back then standing up lets your legs absorb the shock. if you don't mind sitting down (can recommend setting up a chair that you can lean back into though) then i reckon the space that a console takes up in a boat less than 5m is too much and tiller steer is the way to go. my 2c worth anyway.

Gagga08
02-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Not sure about cc's in boats under 5m, i agree with paddles. I think that for a smaller boat every cm of space is critical. If you stick a great big console in the middle you are gunna loose alot of that space. I have a 4m tinny and i would never but any sort of console in it....tiller is definately the way to go....just use the money u save to buy yourself some decent waterproof clothing.