PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Bag CQ

jtpython
31-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Heading out today with my father mate and daughter we ventured out towards some ground off Hummocky island with the hope of catching some Mac's
Arriving at our first spot we fished the bottom with very fair results cept for 1 nice cobia we pulled of the bottom on a slab of Cuttlefish.
After 2 hours of frustrating fishing we headed to another spot that never fails in search of some fish to help the esky look a lot better then what it was
Heading straight into a 1.2 metre swell for the next 15 mins was a slow task but we managed it and started to catch a mixed bag of tusk fish, lippers and parrots with one nice schooly coming on board with no other follow ups by his mates.
All in all was a relaxing day with a nice feed to boot.;D
But now have to teach daughter to use a botton bashing set up as my fingers are cut from pulling in her fish on the handline .............. Undersized reds sheeshus
LOL
JT

Custaro
31-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Good feed there JT.

Bring on those macs. Should be a great summer.

mangomick
31-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Good onya JT. Not a bad haul. Hear the chatter on the radio and seemed pretty quiet out there today
How you been travelling?

I dont want to know about today. We headed out to the 12 mile and got about 4 miles from it and temp alarm started beeping. Looks like impeller shat itself. Thermostats and impeller changed not long ago. VMR called and he ended up with 3 boats in tow. 2 returned to Boyne and me back to Auckland creek. Can't stress enough how it pays to be a member of local Volunteer Marine Rescue. First time in the twnty years I've been in Gladstone that I've had to call them and hopefully the last

jtpython
31-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Pays to belong Mick thats for sure mate.
Mate i'm travelling well still little stiff in the stomach at times if i do to much thats why i go fishing see to relax ........ Not to worry about the big swells thou can handle them lol
No worries Cust hoping that the macs will appear in great numbers soon........ i see the odd whale still blowing about and plenty of Yakka's but nothing smashing them or flashing about
JT

Benno1
31-08-2008, 08:04 PM
quality mixed mag there JT...very nice :D...those reds are such pretty fish when they put theyre party clothes on...good too see your girl out amongst it as well...youre a good man :D

sorry to hear about your boat Mango...that sucks!!!...but the money you saved by being a member of the VMR...(non members pay the $60 bucks as well as 1.5 times whatever the feul cost is)...you can put towards getting your ride seen too...again :(

Local_Guy
31-08-2008, 09:03 PM
nice catch JT.

we headed to Man and Wife were not much was happening. caught a legal hussar on a plastic.

we then went to the wreck at barron where i pulled in a nice Trout just over the 2kg mark. then another 2 hussar up around child.

Like you JT, Allan and myself both caught undersized reds at Man and Wife.

I had boat in tow this morning when i called allan (Yapoon) to see if he wanted to join me, but he suggested we go in his boat instead. wasn't a bad day on the water in teh end.

reel scream
31-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Sounds like a good trip , with the daughter as an added bonus.

As for the whales , they are still heading north past the cape (moreton) as of 2 days ago.

Cheers Scott

seapup
01-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Nice work JT. The Macs shouldnt be to far away from your grounds now you lucky bugger! I cant wait to hear the screem of the ratchet from a big Spaniard again!
Benny.

murf
01-09-2008, 07:46 AM
top stuff JT

gotta love it when the kids go out with ya, both my daughters love fishing but I will only take one at a time now out to sea as its too much work helping take off all the fish they catch::)

cheers Murf

jtpython
01-09-2008, 07:45 PM
HAHAHA Know what you mean and fishing in the depth we were in , the fish would wipe out the bait as soon as it hit bottom so there was like . bait mine bait her bait mine bait her's LOL
But she done well first time i've taken her so far offshore was a bit concerned just in case you never know .. But she had a ball caught about 10 fish for the day only 2 keepers thou but she had a ball ......... And the dolphins made it even better to will post a vid she done when i get a bit of time too
Good to hear from ya mate
JT

disorderly
01-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Nice photo's JT...

Looks like your daughter had a great time ....Caught a little red first time out as well..

How does she go at the helm,mate???

I taught my 11 year old daughter to use the highway mode on the GPS and she has several times driven unassisted for 15-20km's on the return trip....makes it much easier to down a couple of cold beverages as well.

Scott

wags on the water
01-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Nice work JT and thanks for the report.

jtpython
01-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Nice photo's JT...

Looks like your daughter had a great time ....Caught a little red first time out as well..

How does she go at the helm,mate???

I taught my 11 year old daughter to use the highway mode on the GPS and she has several times driven unassisted for 15-20km's on the return trip....makes it much easier to down a couple of cold beverages as well.

Scott
Mine doesn't like driving or trolling gets bored quick she layed on the floor of the boat for a sleep on the trip home taking us an hour and and half for the trip home and waking her at 3.15 in the morin is like poking a taipan with a stick lol
Liking the idea of the letting her work out the gps thou LOl
She couldn't belive throwing over some of the undesized reds at 54 cm are a big fish compared to lppers in size ratio...........But the start of education
Wags you must be getting sick of working soon so close to smell the ocean at Blackwater
Cheers JT