PDA

View Full Version : how do I remove a 115 hp evinrude bottom leg

mangomick
31-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Has any body had any experience removing the bottom leg off an Evinrude ocean pro 115 hp outboard.
I've found all six bolts from underneath and have parted it about 1/2 inch (12 mm for you young uns) but now it wont come down any further. An old evinrude 35 hp I had was splined and only needed bolts removing and down she came. Is there some thing I'm missing. I would have thought all the shafts would have been splined and a light tap should release it.
Any clues would be appreciated
Cheers
Mangomick

station-rat
31-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Have you released the shift rod?

Chimo
31-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi mangomick

I wont be that much help except there is a pin on the shift I think that has to come out. part of the trick is to have it in the right gear so you can reach it on the right side up near the front.

I watch the tech do it to my two with a sort of glazed look in my eyes thinking I'm not going there as I don't know enough about it and i dont have the tools.
PS Dont forget to smear marine grease on all the bolts as they go back in.

The guy who just serviced mine spent from 10.00 til 2.30pm just doing 2 services on 115s like yours and there was nothing wrong with them.

Sorry, but with the lack of RACQ service offshore I figure its worth getting a pro to play. Peace of minds gotta be worth a bit.

Is there no OMC / BRP service where you are?

Good luck with it

Cheers
Chimo

BM
31-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Mangomick,

You havent undone the shift rod connection which is under the bottom carby. Hopefully you haven't applied to much force or you may have stuffed your shift linkage.

Cheers

mangomick
31-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks fellers
I searched high and low for the shift pin or connector and I'm buggered if I could find it.
BM Is the shift pin the stainless split pin type connector that I can see under the carby. I've never come across that type before
I was nearly going to pull that out to see if that was it but I was expecting to find some type of connector along the gear shift connecting shaft.
Thanks for that. No I didnt get too brutal with it. Thought I'd turn to Ausfish first.
Yeah Chimo I always say the poor man pays twice but I never listen to my own advise. :'( Last time I got a full service though and the fuel filter /water seperator wasnt touched. This time I know it will be

muzzytt
31-08-2008, 08:00 PM
if you look at the engine from the port side you will see a brass coloured peice of metal with a small bolt through it thats the one. put bolts back in and find the shift linkag first.

or better get a service manual like i did from the states.

muzzytt
31-08-2008, 08:07 PM
or try this link it has a picture of what i am on about in the first pic.

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/johnrudetips.htm

Spaniard_King
31-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Me thinks not too many of you guys (BM excluded) have taken off one of these legs :P

Mick

you need to disconect the shift cable from the shift shaft on the engine
There is an "R" clip that needs to be removed from the shift shaft. best to take the lower cowls off for access to the clip which is at the front just under the carbys
Then moving the shit shaft into FWD gear (pull fwd whilst turning prop shaft) then push selector shaft from stbd to port (push across engine) this movement should disconnect the shift shaft from the engine.

Personally I would get an experienced person to do this as it is not an easy manovre.

Chimo
31-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Yes Garry, I couldn't agree more and thats why I go glazed in the eyes when both my motors are being dropped.

By the way no one has talked about getting the bloody legs back in position and the shafts reconnected the way they have to be.

I guess that will be part two of this story.

Q What motor do you buy?
A The one that comes with the mechanic / tech you can trust.

Cheers
Chimo

FNQCairns
31-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Ask splash, by now he could do it in his sleep!:):)

cheers fnq

Chimo
31-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Your right FNQ; he's one bloke who can do it like he strips an SLR in his sleeping bag in his swag in the middle of the nite in a blackout. :P

Pity he's in Darwin tho.

C

mangomick
01-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks fellers
I've stripped down a few SLRs in my time. You learn to do that pretty quick with some nasty little man with three stripes shouting something about ripping your arms off and sticking them in my ears and riding you around like a motor bike. But if Spaniard King recommends an experienced person to do the job then me thinks i'd be very wise to listen and not stuff around.
Thanks fellers

Chimo
01-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi mangmick

Good on you for supporting the marine workforce / economy. Probably a good move.

They are a great motor and as I understand it, apart from fuel system, not much different to the newer Etec and they seem to be happy on older more ordinary fuel. I think of mine as the GOM / economy Etec . Still I'd need to save a heap of fuel to make parting with an extra $10 K each to replace them.

Hope you have success with it.

Chimo

sid_fishes
01-09-2008, 05:16 PM
just get garry to do it, its all good

mangomick
01-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Sid
I dont know Garry but I dont think he'd be too keen to move to Gladstone. What with all our coal dust and smog :'( And I sure as hell aint towing it all the way to the Gold Coast or Brissy with all you maniacs on the road;D

Picked up the boat this arvo. Just as well I didnt do the job myself. The mechanic spotted a small crack in the stainless pump housing which I would have missed for sure and then I would probably have been calling on the good old VMR for another tow home. The impeller was absolutely totalled.
if theres any outboard design engineers out there how about designing an out board with a fitting so that if an impeller shats itself we can hook up an emergency line from a 12 volt water pump so we can get home.Maybe they could even have there own 12 volt pump that cuts in when it sensors no flow from the impellor

Chimo..Im not a tight arse ............Im an economic conservative

Chimo
01-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi MM

Good to hear you had a good result with the motor service.

But now we have to review your "economic conservative" bent.:-X
Did a little research and there a few worrying results............ to wit :-/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQN_btzkg0U

http://www.quiz2d.com/quiz/Economic_Conservative.php?personal=46.9&economic=75.7

and for balance

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/j/john_howard/economic_conservative.html

Then again perhaps this may sum it up better

http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=2091

Anyhow; hope this help to crystalize things better which is important or GOMs or for yourself who is obviously not afflicted by tightness in any organ::)

Cheers
Chimo

mangomick
02-09-2008, 05:44 AM
Yeah, yeah ,yeah..................very good
Dont know about fitting in to the Reagan/Goldwater wing. More like George W. Bush

Rush right in without thinking and then talk a lot of crap to hide my inefficiencies ;D