PDA

View Full Version : Hello need boat set up experienced advice

patrol50
31-08-2008, 09:51 AM
gday after mostly fishing from car toppers in estuarys for many years i have now recently bought a near new quintrex 470 runabout / 50 hp (4S) for a bit of open bay and close inshore fishing (on good days) and also have a separate Lowrance 5 " Sounder and 5' GPS to fit to the boat - but the mounting area in front of the helm or steering wheel only has room for the one 5 ' unit and the other 5" unit has to be fitted above the glove box in front of the passenger seat area which is a bit of a long reach from the steering position - so which is the best unit to fit closer to hand and right in front of the eyes - the Sounder unit or the GPS unit - my thanks for any experienced advice on this
see you rob ;D

Blackened
31-08-2008, 10:08 AM
G'day

Have you considered RAM mountings?? May be able to get both in the same area then

If not..... I'd prefer the GPS in front of me.

Failing that, sell them both and put the $$ towards a combo unit

Dave

patrol50
31-08-2008, 10:32 AM
thanks dave appreciate the comments yes had a look at a ram mount but still have to mount it off the aluminium side deck on the passenger side ( as plastic glove box top in front of passenger is too weak to take a mounting ) so would still be a long reach away ( also have a walk thru windscreen to complicate matters ) - bl**dy quinny ( i do like the boat otherwise though ) has no where near enough clear space available to mount 2 units side by side in front of the wheel in the 470 runabout and telwater who should know something about designing boat layouts need to tidy that up in my view - see you rob

Outsider1
31-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Is this you dash set up Rob?

Wondering if you can fit the GPS in front of the steering wheel, hard left on the dash and back as far as you can go. Then the sounder on angle on the right basically over the gauges on the right and as far forward as possible???

Might be worth asking Grand Marlin if he can install them for you? I am sure he knows all the fitting tricks! It would be a bugger to have to split them I reckon!

Cheers

Dave
http://www.yamahapitmansmarine.com.au/uploads/boats/gallery05/470_coast_runner_cv_internals4.jpg

Mindi
31-08-2008, 01:01 PM
If your sounder runs well on auto...then suggest put it on passenger side ...you do tend to have more interaction with a GPS ...well I do anyway...particularly if the sounder is good on auto.

patrol50
31-08-2008, 02:22 PM
yep dave thats the dash set up for the 470 - just not really enough room on the right to fit both without hitting the screen and or in the way of stand up steering i likre to stand up when i can - thans for the tip will talk to grand marlin and see ahat he suggests but i think i will have to split them - top of dash / glove box on pass side is just light plastic crap so cant mount anything heavy on that at all
thanks and see you rob \

thanks mindi appreciate the comment

rayken1938
31-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Would it be possible to use a ram mount off the tubular windscreen support or even hang it upside down off the grab rail? Alternatively how easy is it to reinforce under the glove box lid? You really need both as close to you as possible.
Cheers
Ray

Blackened
31-08-2008, 07:06 PM
G'day

Ray, that's a bloody good idea, You can get rail mounts for the RAM, and twin ball systems wich may allow you to run both units off of the same point

Dave

Dave_84930
01-09-2008, 04:51 AM
Just got a 455 myself and I may do the same thing ,it's got the same split wind screen, was thinking of putting a 787 humminbird there , the perfect place .
Thanks
Dave

patrol50
01-09-2008, 03:47 PM
thanks ray sounds like a really good idea to mount off the top grab rails - off to bias to look at a ball joint ram mount and see if i can fit it to the top rail - if it works your a bl**dy legend
my best rob

Blackened
01-09-2008, 03:56 PM
thanks ray sounds like a really good idea to mount off the top grab rails - off to bias to look at a ball joint ram mount and see if i can fit it to the top rail - if it works your a bl**dy legend
my best rob

G'day

If bias are lacking RAM stock, go and see johnny appleseed at morooka.

Dave

patrol50
01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
ok problem solved - i have been able to now fit a lowrance 7 " combo unit LCX 27c ( fortunately the supplier exchanged my two 5" units for the combo as the two 5" units were still in the boxes ) - and by hanging the combo unit off the front grab rail with ss u bolts by its upsidedown flat mounting backet it just fits off to the right between the wheel and the throttle gear shift - just enough clearance and thats all but appears to be ok re giving enough clearance to steer wheel and the throttle / gear shift so i can work them ok - thanks for all the imput guys - much appreciated - see you rob