PDA

View Full Version : PROPS - Alloy or Stainless

trymyluck
31-08-2008, 03:23 AM
Hi
Looking at replacing the prop on 115hp Johnson and trying to decide which way to go.
Is there that big a difference in the performance of a stainless prop to justify the extra dollars or is it just a case of my prop is better because its bright and shiny and made of stainless.
Thanks in advance Mark

Blackened
31-08-2008, 08:09 AM
G'day

Alloy has its advantages in relation to being quite forgiving when damaged, but being a softer material than stainless can and will distort under high load applications. Also the cheaper option.

The stainless, if striking an object can be quite damaging to itself and the engine because it has very little give, but is the best option for higher horsepower applications, like 90 and up for example.

If you're doing creeks and shallow work, stay with alloy. Bay and blue water, stainless all the way

Dave

FNQCairns
31-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Also it's often possible to find an alum prop that performs better than the SS fitted. In theory if a you fit a SS that is a perfect match for your rig then you will not find an alum that works better but real life is not perfect so don't discount the alum because the alum you choose may well work better on your rig than the ss you would have chosen. testing is the only way to find out.

My best prop is an alum.

SS works a bit better because it is thinner and sharper also on real fast boats because it flexes less.

cheers fnq

mookyandlumpy
31-08-2008, 08:50 AM
If you're doing creeks and shallow work, stay with alloy. Bay and blue water, stainless all the way

my thoughts exactly

CHAPPY
31-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Saw a small tinny at Tinanbar high and dry with the tide out. Bloke had a thick rag tied around his prop with the outboard up. When I asked why he removed the rag and let me feel how sharp it was. I helped him put the rag back on. Can you picture a kid playing on the sand and running into that prop? It was like a large curved skinning knife.

Allow for me thanks.

Chappy

Poodroo
31-08-2008, 05:02 PM
I just got home from the boat show and saw the Solas display and I am very keen to reprop my boat with a stainless prop but this is what is influencing me. First of all I rarely go shallow so very little chance of striking anything solid with the prop. Secondly I do not have a spare prop so the current prop would make a good spare. I also believe that I can get better top end with a decent prop. Finally I absolutely love things that shine and a stainless prop is like boat bling. lol ::) ;D I guess at the end of the day the things to take into consideration are budget, and application. If you spend a lot of time in the Pin where everyone runs aground at some stage then I would go alloy. I spend most of my time in the bay so stainless is my personal choice.

Poodroo

levinge
31-08-2008, 09:09 PM
PooDroo - Go the Bling big fella, Prop'd a stainless Solas on my Formosa and she cuts like nobodies business, will never go back to alloy unless its a spare to get me home if, god forbid my Stainless has a moment.....

reelchippy
01-09-2008, 12:16 PM
G'day

Alloy has its advantages in relation to being quite forgiving when damaged, but being a softer material than stainless can and will distort under high load applications. Also the cheaper option.

The stainless, if striking an object can be quite damaging to itself and the engine because it has very little give, but is the best option for higher horsepower applications, like 90 and up for example.

Dave

Good advice

reidy
01-09-2008, 01:36 PM
my thoughts exactly
i'll third that one.
ss props can be donk wreakers in shallow water
Cheers
Reidy

Poodroo
04-09-2008, 05:18 PM
PooDroo - Go the Bling big fella, Prop'd a stainless Solas on my Formosa and she cuts like nobodies business, will never go back to alloy unless its a spare to get me home if, god forbid my Stainless has a moment.....

Well as already stated I had pretty much made my mind up after the boat show and here it is. The new prop. BLING! ;D

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/P9040001.jpg

Poodroo