PDA

View Full Version : New Water Police Barge at Redland Bay hard aground!!!

ThePinkPanther
31-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Think it was Tuesday or Wednesday last week, the new police barge based at Redland Bay slid full chat onto the big banks south east of the ferry jetty at Victoria Point.

Sources tell me the police chopper arrived shortly thereafter, did a few laps over them, (probably to take some pics) and then vamoosed!

The police all stayed out of sight below deck til the tide came in and did a hasty retreat back to Base.

Some years back, a Channel 9 chopper got them on Telly when the old barge went aground directly off the VMR Base at Vicky Point.

...... also remember last year seeing Patrol 1 - Boating and Fisheries - spending many hours on the banks off the eastern end of the Rous Channel due some pretty shoddy navigation in full daylight with the banks high and dry!

Setting standards I guess!

bushbeachboy
31-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Your sources are wrong PP. Qld Police don't have a chopper.

Mighty poor standards of navigation, unless it was a training exercise.

gawby
31-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Everybody is human and we all make mistakes
at sometime in our lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Graeme

Blackened
31-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Your sources are wrong PP. Qld Police don't have a chopper.

G'day

I always believed we don't have a chopper either.

Besides, if they run aground.............. so what?? i'm sure everyone here has done that a few times

Dave

FNQCairns
31-08-2008, 08:04 AM
But isn't running aground an offence?? Is it possible for the skipper to fine himself:) bet that's never ever happened:):)

cheers fnq

gawby
31-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Like as has been mentioned before this site has become a
place where if someone does smething wrong slam them here.
Sowhat if the waterpolice ran aground, since when have you heard
of someone being knocked off for running aground.
I have seen the water police helping people who are stuck not giving them a hard time.
I think it is about time some went to bunnings and got a tin of harden up
and had a good spray with it.
We are not all perfect.
Graeme

Synful
31-08-2008, 08:31 AM
G'day

I always believed we don't have a chopper either.

Besides, if they run aground.............. so what?? i'm sure everyone here has done that a few times

Dave

I'll admit to coming afoul of a sandbank or two over the last 12 months I've had my boat; if you are in a river or area that you haven't fished before it would be easy to do, sounders only report what you've been over - not what you have in front of you.

That being said, if they were going a a decent rate of knots when they did it then yeah, someone needs a good kick in the pants and would make good video if anyone caught it happening ::)

Synful
31-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Like as has been mentioned before this site has become a
place where if someone does smething wrong slam them here.
Sowhat if the waterpolice ran aground, since when have you heard
of someone being knocked off for running aground.
I have seen the water police helping people who are stuck not giving them a hard time.

I agree Gawby; if someone has run aground, chances the poor bastard is going to be so embarrassed, they will be humbled by it. At least if you ask them if they need a tow or offer some assistance, they can only say no.

I wonder how many members here can honestly say they've never come a cropper on a sand bank before today?

I think it is about time some went to bunnings and got a tin of harden up and had a good spray with it.
We are not all perfect.
Graeme

Produced by Heath Franklin and Chopper enterprises is it ? ;D

ThePinkPanther
31-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Yeh I think I'm man enuf to say I was a straight out wrong in slamming them - musta been in a grouchy mood 'cos my favourite whiting spot is being taken back in the rezoning due at the end of this year!

My apologies guys - I'm allowed a mistake also!

I've been a VIP with the Qld Police Service for eleven years now so that kind of makes up for my being a bit of a di**head with this post!

........... it was actually the Channel 9 Chopper turns out!

disorderly
31-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Everybody is human and we all make mistakes
at sometime in our lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Graeme

Geez Graeme....whatever happened to the good old tradition of laughing at someone else's misfortune....particularly when its the cops....;);D.

We are getting a bit too PC and prissy these days.::):-/

Synful
31-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Geez Graeme....whatever happened to the good old tradition of laughing at someone else's misfortune....particularly when its the cops....;);D.

We are getting a bit too PC and prissy these days.::):-/

Could be fun to motor up to them and ask if they've had a few too many tinnies :-X Then quickly asking if they'd like a tow off the sand bank before getting a ticket for your trouble ;D

gawby
31-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Being an x law enforcer gets me going a bit
when the coppers and such cop a bagging
all the time and not only on this site.
I just gave myself a spray and a slap also
i didn't mean to offend anyone.
We are all allowed our opinion.
Gotta say i have done the same and more than
once so yes i am not perfect.
I must say i have never had a bad experience with
the water police or the fisheries when being checked.
Graeme

mudrunner
31-08-2008, 11:28 AM
at least we see the funny side. they (cops) can make a boo boo, get embarrassed, and thats it..

you and me can do the same...the cops dont laugh, you get the embarrassment....and you get a fine...

the cops should just take it with a bit of humility and lighten up a bit....

goldfish
31-08-2008, 11:35 AM
i think there are only 2 types of boaties on mortin bay, those that have run aground and that lie. with that said i can't see the harm in having a little chuckel at them as there mates probally have also & they most likley will in a day or 2. as long as no-one was hurt & no damage done its all good.

slyman
31-08-2008, 01:01 PM
I wonder if they displayed the appropriate day shapes?

Mindi
31-08-2008, 01:06 PM
I once sailed in a race that had to go 14 NM to a small island and round it and return home.....I ran into the island in broad daylight ....so feel a need to be a bit slow to rubbish others for running aground.

FNQCairns
31-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I wonder if they displayed the appropriate day shapes?

Ha thats funny ;D;Dbet they didn't, is the stuck aground the same one as at anchor:D

cheers fnq

TimiBoy
31-08-2008, 01:10 PM
i think there are only 2 types of boaties on mortin bay, those that have run aground and that lie. with that said i can't see the harm in having a little chuckel at them as there mates probally have also & they most likley will in a day or 2. as long as no-one was hurt & no damage done its all good.

Not correct! I have never run aground, nor do I lie. I have polished the prop in the mud a couple of times in the Canaipa Pasage...

Cheers,

Tim

FNQCairns
31-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Not correct! I have never run aground, nor do I lie. I have polished the prop in the mud a couple of times in the Canaipa Pasage...

Cheers,

Tim

Me either, have polished a few props, one 6 months ago but I have run aground on many more than 1 stump/log.

cheers fnq

Outsider1
31-08-2008, 01:39 PM

Cheers,

Tim

Ah, but it is only a matter of time Timiboy!!;D;D, don't you worry about that!:-X::)8-)

Cheers

Dave

mromanis
31-08-2008, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=bushbeachboy;889047]Your sources are wrong PP. Qld Police don't have a chopper.

Are you guys serious?
A state as large as QLD and with that growing population has no police airwing with a chopper? WOW!!
Are there any operational reasons why not, or is it just a matter of budget?
Matthew.

Blackened
31-08-2008, 01:53 PM
[quote=bushbeachboy;889047]Your sources are wrong PP. Qld Police don't have a chopper.

Are you guys serious?
A state as large as QLD and with that growing population has no police airwing with a chopper? WOW!!
Are there any operational reasons why not, or is it just a matter of budget?
Matthew.

G'day

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $ for a chopper, then more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to keep her up in the air.

Dave

SummerTrance
31-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Yeh I think I'm man enuf to say I was a straight out wrong in slamming them - musta been in a grouchy mood 'cos my favourite whiting spot is being taken back in the rezoning due at the end of this year!

My apologies guys - I'm allowed a mistake also!

That's a backflip reminiscent of Peter Beatie! You didnt like what I said..... oh ok, I take it back then.

slyman
31-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Ha thats funny ;D;Dbet they didn't, is the stuck aground the same one as at anchor:D

cheers fnq

Just to draw a bit more attention to themselves ;D

Day shape for at anchor is one black sphere.

Day shape for aground is three black spheres in a vertical line.

Assuming they were greater than 12mts in length that is, under 12mts are not required to display those shapes.

Actually those blokes would be hauled over the coals for that, loads of paperwork too.

Angla
31-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Cut em some slack as those onboard will be dealt with within their own system I am sure.:-/ That does not mean that we cannot have a chuckle at their expense.::) I just would not be in their face about it.8-)

Your turn to touch the rising sands will come Tim....... all just a matter of time.;D;D

Chris

SgBFish
31-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Is it me or are the markers around Moreton Bay moving or changing colour more than ever before.
If you are using a chart more than 2 years old you could be hitting the bricks often or the marks themselves.
Some examples are the moved Bribie blinker, the Main shipping channel markers near the Spitfire banks are now cardinals, The green lateral buoy near the same cardinals (which is hard to see), the deception bay buoy is now a post…
And the lateral red on the northern end of Gilligans is now very close to the bank.
User beware.
Scott

JIMBO99
31-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Jimbo99
Flags he! they probably had a grope around to find the four flags that adequately expressed their feelings. The chief was looking and said run these four flags up F--C --K hell where's the U. I personally hate running aground especially if I can't get off till the tide comes in, only done it a few times in 67 years but I have don it