PDA

View Full Version : flushing with ear muffs help

bilby
30-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi all,
I have a 2007 Mariner 30hp 2stroke outboard, i'm having trouble and have had this problem since new, flushing out the motor using earmuffs. You have to keep fiddling around with the position of the muffs and then they work (tell tale i mean) If i put the motor in a drum it picks up no probs. I have heard that you can use muffs with a double connection or are there a particular brand of ear muffs that are good. (the muffs i have are the ones that came with the boat ie cheap) Are there any Mariner / Merc owners out there that have had a similar problem and how did you fix it.
Cheers Fozzy.

MattChew
30-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi Fozzy, not that I have a Mariner 30 but I find I have to squeeze the crap out of my Muffs before i put them on just for the grip / tension. I also make sure they are covering the intakes fully and don't have any issues. I think Whitworths have some on special for about $5 atm if yours are cactus.

Ta
Matt

Mac_Attack
30-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi all,
I have a 2007 Mariner 30hp 2stroke outboard, i'm having trouble and have had this problem since new, flushing out the motor using earmuffs. You have to keep fiddling around with the position of the muffs and then they work (tell tale i mean) If i put the motor in a drum it picks up no probs. I have heard that you can use muffs with a double connection or are there a particular brand of ear muffs that are good. (the muffs i have are the ones that came with the boat ie cheap) Are there any Mariner / Merc owners out there that have had a similar problem and how did you fix it.
Cheers Fozzy.

Hey Fozzy
I have a 30 Tohatsu which is the same as the Merc 30. The muffs that came with mine had the same problem as yours, so i went out and bought some ovel shaped ones there alot better than the cheapo ones that came with the boat ;)

FNQCairns
30-08-2008, 07:48 PM
yeah some of the muffs a person can buy are just plain rubbish...wonder how many cooked impellers they are responsible for.

I have a 25 year old set of muffs that actually work well, soon to be retired but still yet to find a quality set for sale to replace them with, been looking for 5 years!!

cheers fnq

bluefin59
31-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Go to northside marine and buy the proper quicksilver muffs they are trouble free and dont slide of and give your motor a full flow of water .I have had mine for 4 yrs and have been trouble free i highly recomend them ...matt

bilby
31-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
Cheers Fozzy

BaitThrower
31-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Got a $5 set here that work great. I think more important is to get the right shape muffs for your outboard. I had a rectangular type shape first for my Johnson and they didn't really fit too well and hence didnt work good. Swapped to a smaller round set and they work a treat!

reidy
01-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I use a very old set of round rubber muffs. these old things have out lasted a few motors.Like them because they have never blown off at full mains pressure and have sealed on every motor they have been on (115 evinrude, 85 merc and my current 30 yam).Never had any impeller probs with these.
Dont know brand as they are ancient
Cheers
Reidy