PDA

View Full Version : Tandem Kayak recommendation ?

Scott Mitchell
30-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I am looking at getting a tandem kayak to fish with the missus & mates on occasion. I have fished from a Hobie Outback & liked it - So I imagine the "Outfitter" will be the way to go ?

Any one used these & how do they go on your own as well ?

Will be mostly fishing small creek around Wide Bay area & a few dams ;)

Regards Scotto

Lucky_Phill
31-08-2008, 08:24 AM
have a read here, Scott.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=130536

Blackjenny
31-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Lucky_Phil, I had a look through the thread you posted. Can you tell me the kind of dollars for a basic Hobie Mirage? like the one in Steve Brown's photo's?
Jack and I are definitely looking at buying one similar soon. We like the idea of the foot peddling - for me in particular because I'm not very strong in the arm department, say If I wanted to go on the lagoon on my own.
Is there a brochure with prices? I gather there are various models. Are they sold by Ausfish? Any advice appreciated.

PinHead
31-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Lucky_Phil, I had a look through the thread you posted. Can you tell me the kind of dollars for a basic Hobie Mirage? like the one in Steve Brown's photo's?
Jack and I are definitely looking at buying one similar soon. We like the idea of the foot peddling - for me in particular because I'm not very strong in the arm department, say If I wanted to go on the lagoon on my own.
Is there a brochure with prices? I gather there are various models. Are they sold by Ausfish? Any advice appreciated.

They are very easy to pedal along..quite effortless.
My wife and Steve's wife had no dramas at all pedalling around for quite a while.
It is amazing the distance you do go and not realise it.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=136162

As for prices...give Mal at Hobie a call. I collect mine this coming week. We have bought a good second hand one from him..looking forward to it.

Scott Mitchell
01-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks Phil & Pinhead - How do you go throwing lures around with 2 up - enough room between each other with out watching every cast ?

I have also heard you can set the paddles up in reverse - forward at front & backwards at rear for better maneuverability in tight areas ?

I am looking forward to the new purchase 8-)

Regards Scotto

Blackjenny
01-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks for that Pinhead. I have a better understanding now and have clicked on the advert that pops up on Ausfish for a better look.
(Hadn't noticed it before :o)

We are very interested and Blackjack has suggested we take a similar one for a test pedal around the Myall River. There is a newish hire place there with the pedal powered variety for us to experience.

Meanwhile, just a few more days 'til 7 weeks holidays for the man. I cannot wait. I should say HE cannot wait. We'll be in our new home on Port Stephens and we'll be trying out our new Seafarer ....... well just everywhere, the lake, the river, the harbour, outside, even Broughton Island if conditions OK...the mind boggles.8-)

And we'll be trying out a tandem pedal powered kayak. Yes, I hope to be a good yakka!!! ;D;D;D Stop laughing!

Gigantor
01-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Scott,

I've never fished out of a Hobie Outfitter before but have seen others using them on the occasional trip. Don't see any issues in both casting. YOu would need to be casting to the side though.

I've got 2 of the Hobie fishing kayaks - the Outback (great for fishing calm waters. It's like a lounge chair on water) and the Adventure (the longest in the Hobie range. Designed for more off-shore work, which moves nicely through the water). You can do reverse but it requires you to lift the pedalling system (Mirage Drive) up & out and turn them around and place back in. A bit of stuffing around to be honest. The kayaks also come with the normal paddles. So I'd be simply using the paddle to reverse out a location.

I do a little casting work and tend to use the double-ended paddle to manouver myself around, which works fine.

Cheers,

Pete

StevenM
02-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Im gunna chuck my 0.02 cents here and say dont get a double, get two singles.

Blackjenny
02-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Im gunna chuck my 0.02 cents here and say dont get a double, get two singles.

Hi-Yo, obviously there must be some reasons you say get two. Would you be so kind as to give some pro's and con's? It'd be appreciated. :)
Can you give a bit more than 0.02 cents worth? LOL Cheers

Ausfish
04-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Am more than happy with the Outfitter that I have, as you can see in other threads. Easy to use and fish out of. Highly recommend it if you want to fish with the missus, or kids, or mates. No problem with both casting. You can also sit side ways and dangle your legs over the side if you like and fish in a spot for a while, they are very stable.

Cost is just under $3000.oo

You can pick them up second hand if you are lucky, they don't get much cheaper though, they hold their price very well.

StevenM
04-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Why two, cause thats what you will end up purchasing anyway.

How you say.

No matter how committed you think your fishing buddy is in the end you will find that your dogma and carma dont mix, one will want to and the other will say ahhhhh I dunno,feel like whatever today.

All great in the begining, thats for sure, but the novelty will drop off for one person.

Double yaks are a pain in the butttt with only one person on them.

So you will end up with a second.

OK

how big / heavy is everyone?? or both users?

Can stop if you want?

Your choice..so far that another 0.02cents and I have heaps of them to give away if you like.

PinHead
05-09-2008, 05:33 AM

How you say.

No matter how committed you think your fishing buddy is in the end you will find that your dogma and carma dont mix, one will want to and the other will say ahhhhh I dunno,feel like whatever today.

All great in the begining, thats for sure, but the novelty will drop off for one person.

OK

Can stop if you want?

Your choice..so far that another 0.02cents and I have heaps of them to give away if you like.

did this happen to you Steve?? If so, perhaps it may be telling you something...LOL

picked up my twin on Wednesday...cannot wait to get it on the water this afternoon.

StevenM
05-09-2008, 06:33 AM
No it has not happened to me

I have seen it happen to so many others

also to those who wanted a canoe so that their mate / partner can go with them

So all I am saying is get a one person SOT.

I have had two yaks, One Paddle and now one pedal.

It wil be intersting to see how Steve fares with his. Will have a chat to him on Sunday.

The funny thing is when people make a not so good decision they are not going to post it all over the net.

Thats 0.06 cents. Any one want some more.

PinHead
08-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Had a great time with mine at Wivenhoe on the weekend...grandson enjoyed pedalling around with me also. Did not do much fishing...mainly getting the young bloke used to it.

jez and suze
08-09-2008, 05:23 PM
this is the one i have....we paid about 1200 new with paddles and the seats from peppertown on the northside or wynnum kayaks get them in aswell for the south side........viking may even drop them to you if you call them.

http://www.vikingkayak.com.au/fishing_kayaks_tempo.htm#Tempo%20Fisherman%20II

Scott Mitchell
09-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Hi-Yo - Thanks for your view point/experience.

My wife is a keen angler ( has to be to have stayed married for over 16 years ;D ) - But there will be times when she will have other things on & I will want some time out on my own. I will take an Outfitter out ( Jason at Ken Sinn motors in the bay has been great to deal with 8-) ) - with both of us & on my own to see how we go. The daughter recons she wants to try it also - so may end up with an Outfitter & Outback :P

Will report back once we get organised - Scotto

Essence
09-09-2008, 06:25 PM
We've had a viking nemo for 18mths now. The +1 seat in the middle lets us use it as a good stable solo, perfect for going and getting yabbies from middle bank or just sitting about fishing.
No pedals though.

Tester63
21-10-2008, 08:43 PM

How you say.

OK

Can stop if you want?

I have a double,
The wife was keen for about 12 months. We caught plenty of fish and had some great dives out at the rocks off Byron. She hasn't been as keen lately so it sits there in the yard. I'm thinking of sell it and swapping over to a single.
At least I can handle my canoe on my own. Been spending more time in the esturies with shi#ty spring nor-easterlies.

tonza*
23-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Im wanting to get into kayak fishing, but dont have a load of money to spend on a starter kayak. would a $200 inflatable job from bcf be a good starting point? i dont wanna have to save up hundreds for a viking or something. thanks in advance!!

Rowie
24-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Tonza,

Google - Australian Kayak Fishing Forum and check out the classified section. Plenty of kayak's for sale and the occasional giveaway if you keep you eye's peeled.

All the best
Rowie