PDA

View Full Version : Pull Up Cleats

levinge
30-08-2008, 06:56 AM
What a fantastic idea, got sick and tired of getting caught up on them in my old boat. So researched and found these little gems. No more getting a cleat stuck where it shouldn't or doing an undignified exit from the boat. Pull em up when needed and flush to gunwal when not.

jjaaccee
30-08-2008, 07:10 AM
yeah they look sweet and a good idea too
ive just purchased a similar model from bla and they are cool
you can also get pop up nav lights and rope guides from the states

levinge
30-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Saw them also, Boats fairly new so I will wait for them later on, after all have to leave something for the wife to buy me of B'day, Xmas etc... Too many toys too quickly and she'll cotton onto my act...

Blackened
30-08-2008, 07:25 AM
G'day

They've been around for a fair while, mainly on the american boats.

Bloody good idea. May be worth a squirt of inox under them around the working parts as salt and sand are sure to set in over time

Dave

levinge
30-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Already done, thanks dave. Also used Duralac between the 2 metals, better to be prepared now, than chase problems later...

FNQCairns
30-08-2008, 08:02 AM
They can rattle I have heard.

cheers fnq

Blackened
30-08-2008, 08:06 AM
They can rattle I have heard.

cheers fnq

G'day

They can, depends on the quality of them

Levinge, good work on the duralac

Dave

northernblue
30-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Did a 3 boat trip from Darwin to the Mini Mini system [western end of Arnehm Land] as the three boats were pulled alongside and preparing to tie up, the skipper of the boat next to us was saying this and that and talk turned to how something always went wrong, broke or was otherwise sacrificed to King Neptune.
I kid you not, the words were no sooner out of his mouth than one of his crew members stuck his finger under the deck cleat in order to tie off and the three of us watched in horror as the cleat popped straight up into the air and over the side in the blink of an eye [the boats were almost touching, but the bloody cleat managed to miss both hulls as it travelled past] ::)
Moral of the story is nylocks or not, stick a big blob of silicone on the end threads :thumbsup:
And no the fishing was not bloody brilliant, inspite of the sacrifice ::)

goldfish
30-08-2008, 05:11 PM
yeah i have seen these a while ago too. would love to hear what they are like after a year or 2.

Luke G
30-08-2008, 09:49 PM
They are not made for heavy duty stuff like towing a boat but they seem to go alright. The old mans Boston Whaler has a few on it and there quite handy.

Cheers

udlman
31-08-2008, 05:01 AM
They are stupidly expensive as well. I was going to put them on my boat, but had to sit down when I was given the price.

Brad.

levinge
31-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Pricewise I look at the fact that the medical bills for getting caught up and accidentally falling out of the boat would be alot more than the purchase of these. Done it once in my older boat that had normal cleats and looked the fool laying on my back with the wind taken out of me and not to mention the bruises.

$232 plus the Duralac, small price to pay for piece of mind and hidden cleats until their needed.

As for towing - thats why I have a tow hook on the stern. They will only be used for tying off fenders and when tying off to another boat, pontoon or jetty (short term).