PDA

View Full Version : E-TEC trim n Tilt

reel-em-in
29-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Just had a new 90hp E-Tec fitted and have noted that the trim n tilt does not hold its position but continues to slowly drop to a full trimmed down position even when in storage (takes a few hours). Have taken back to dealer who says they checked and was okay, however the problem still occurs. While I will ensure this is repaired under warranty, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problem with the BRP system and what was the final solution. Cheers and thanks in advance.

Steve

Blackened
29-08-2008, 06:34 PM
G'day

A problem like this usually means the hydraulics are losing pressure, any leaks anywhere, any damaged rubbers/seals?

I suspect the fluid level is full? there's no noise like air in the fluid when using the ptt?

Either way it's the dealers problem.

Dave

manchild
29-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Tell the dealer that its not ok,if they insist it is talk straight to brp.They are hellbent to please custumers and very quick in responding to complaints.What you have there isnt normal and shouldt happen.

disorderly
29-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Had a 90 for a couple of years now and never experienced this..as stated above it sounds like a leak in the system...

I know sometimes its difficult sometimes to convey this to a dealer because you have a new motor and the problem does not present itself before yours/his very eyes and it's a bit difficult to show exactly what the problem is... but it's important that you make sure he is very aware that its a problem worth looking at..don't allow him to fob you off..and if it doesn't get fixed then post again on this forum...it needs to be fixed.

Scott

Mindi
29-08-2008, 07:29 PM
The dealer is being unhelpful....this is a fairly common problem with outboards not E-TECs specifically...the hydraulics lose fluid thru a leaky seal or O ring or cracked pipe or whatever...and the weight of the motor just isn't held up over time. I have had at least two motors do this over the years, a Yamaha and an OMC (out of warranty) Of course its a warranty problem. Just leave it at the yard overnight and get them to have a look in the morning.

TimiBoy
29-08-2008, 09:04 PM
We've had the problem a couple of times on bobcats and excavators - the arm/bucket.blade will drop over time. If there are no leaks anywhere it's always proven to be a problem in the hydraulic pump. Thank God for warranty...

Cheers,

Tim

Outsider1
29-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I have noticed a few threads on some forums recently about drooping T'n'Ts. Maybe some bad batches??

The tilt and trim on the Evinrudes are exactly the same ones they have been using for years, and identical (interchangeable) with Yamahas as I understand it. Usually never a problem, but as I said it seems to have become an issue recently!!??

http://forums.etecownersgroup.com/tool/post/barnaclebill/vpost?id=2912484

Cheers

Dave

Spaniard_King
30-08-2008, 07:01 AM
reel em in

you have one of 2 problems.. either a check valve or the manual release valve is not seating properly. The check valves are just a ballbearing and spring inside the pump. If you can get the dealer to recognize the issue he should replace the trim unit if its a new engine. If He wont recognise the issue, ask for the BRP reps contact details and state your case with him.

Jabba_
30-08-2008, 05:12 PM
The dealer is being unhelpful....this is a fairly common problem with outboards not E-TECs specifically...the hydraulics lose fluid thru a leaky seal or O ring or cracked pipe or whatever...and the weight of the motor just isn't held up over time. I have had at least two motors do this over the years, a Yamaha and an OMC (out of warranty) Of course its a warranty problem. Just leave it at the yard overnight and get them to have a look in the morning.
Interestingly, Yamaha and OMC/BRP have the same Trim Tilt system, and there pats are inter-changable with each other

cormorant
30-08-2008, 09:31 PM
reel em in

you have one of 2 problems.. either a check valve or the manual release valve is not seating properly. The check valves are just a ballbearing and spring inside the pump. If you can get the dealer to recognize the issue he should replace the trim unit if its a new engine. If He wont recognise the issue, ask for the BRP reps contact details and state your case with him.

The above is correct

Check that the manual release bypass valve is seated. Raise motor , looosen it ( fingers and body out of the way) slowly and let some oil bypass and the motor lower. Tighten it , cycle the tilt trim up and down a couple of time and listen for odd noises ( air or debri). Leave over night and see if it is OK. If that doesn't fix it the dealer has a bigger job. If it is a newishmotor do not accept it if they pul the trim unit apart as they are painted after put together so it will corrode faster once disassembled. Get em to replace the tilt trim before you leave a big ally gouge down the middle of the road.

I assume you can see no leaking oil.

Last dumb check you can do it to confirm the oil is the correct level and not airated. Cycle the tilt up and down a couple of times and then while it is up chock it and then check the oil level. Check the oil isn't frothy airated a sthat can be another issue in the pump.

I have seen a couple of chewed out orings on the bypass valves stopping them seating properly over the years on but not from the factory. Tht is for the dealer to disscover and.

If you don't know where the bypass relief valve is get the dealer to show you as it may help if stuck on the water without power or a stuffed tilt trim. Hard to get on trailer without trim up.